• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many DC Completionists are left?

246 posts in this topic

@FD:

Part of this thread is to point out that that, IMO, the last year when it would be

possible to start collecting all DC's without having a "spare change" income of a

million a year coupled with a certifiable pathological mind set, would be around

1985 (give or take a year or two). Anyone trying to start after that date would

clearly be too crazy to be allowed to handle an allowance of more than 50 cents

a month.

The question was, who else who was active then is still alive, active, and not

in a funny farm? So far it looks like only 3 (4?).

Please, this is meant in a kind way, and I hope I do not offend any of the four

individuals on the list. Additional deranged collectors welcome.

I agree, there are period collectors, or genre collectors, or title collectors but what I

am looking for are the full blown complete collectors.

If someone knows of such an individual but is not sure if the individual would

want to be "outed," I would be happy with a state/country plus a single

letter (first name or board name). That should protect the individual while

eliminating duplicates.

Surely there are more than 3 (4?) of us out there.

Does anyone know if Christine is still collecting? I know she does not

want anyone contacting her (or at least she did not about 10 years ago).

I am very close to having a complete silver age "Superman Family" collection. I am somewhat condition conscious. I think in order to go the whole OCD every DC route you would almost certainly have to throw condition out the window as a big consideration.

Also, on any of the the titles that went late 40's to mid 50's I do not agree that all it takes is money. Many, many books are hard to find in any grade.

Is there a worse hell than having to amass every issue, premium, giveway, etc. from DC since 1990?

Yes. Doing it with Marvel. They had a lot of short lived carp in the 90s, as well as a ton of variants and some high priced error issues (Venom black or whatever).

Is there a worse hell than having to amass every issue, premium, giveway, etc. from DC since 1990?

Yes. Doing it with Marvel. They had a lot of short lived carp in the 90s, as well as a ton of variants and some high priced error issues (Venom black or whatever).

Touche.... still I would not have to deal with collecting all that garbage.

I first learned about DC completist Ian Levine on the CPG boards and I remember thinking this was the biggest effort ever done by a comic collector. Come on, every DC issue ever published. It's easier to win the lottery.

It was back in 2005 or 2006 and the account was a little over 32000 comics. I wonder if Ian still collect every new issue.

Simply amazing

How about Marvel?

Back in the 70s I contemplated getting every Marvel comic Fantastic Four #1 (the start of Marvel Comics) to date.

Timelys were out of the question. Even then I knew I never be able to afford one let alone all of them.

Anybody have a complete collection of Marvel, including all Timelys?

How about Marvel?

Back in the 70s I contemplated getting every Marvel comic Fantastic Four #1 (the start of Marvel Comics) to date.

Timelys were out of the question. Even then I knew I never be able to afford one let alone all of them.

Not certain John Verzyl has all of them, but he has the best of them. On this Forum there are several boardies who I think have every Timely in the book - Bedrock, Timely and Billy Parker. They tend to hide in the GA section...

How about Marvel?

Not certain John Verzyl has all of them, but he has the best of them. On this Forum there are several boardies who I think have every Timely in the book - Bedrock, Timely and Billy Parker. They tend to hide in the GA section...

John Verzyl owns every Church Timely except for about 7 or 8 issues IIRC.

Paull:

The worse hell than trying to get everything DC since 1990 is to try to do the same for

DC since 1935. Giveaways, promos, and variants for DC started in 1940 and have

continued ever since. However, DC started really going crazy with variants about

1993. For the past few years, they seem to have made a goal of "more, more, this

year than in the last two years put together." And they continue to apply that

mantra every year.

From what I have seen, Marvel seems to feel "We can be crazier than DC" and DC

seems to feel "Oh no you can't." I suspect some years DC wins that contest and

some years Marvel wins. Now a lot of collectors are thinking "a pox on both your

houses."

It looks like the other publishers seem to say "We can match you in percentage

if not in volume; if you have 15 variants out of every 100 issues you publish, we

can do the same."

Will this madness ever stop? It looks like it will continue until ever publisher

switches to online publication only. And then, I suspect the last hard copy

comic will be a variant.

Marvel was garbage in the 90s as well. Check out any of the ASMs, FFs or even X-Men from that time period and they sucked more often than not. Thankfully I did not speculate on the 2099 junk like I was thinking of doing. lol

The only decent reads from the 90s were pre-Unity Valiants, and that was short lived as well. Mind you, I still liked X-O and Magnus for a while longer than that, and the BWS Archer & Armstrong run was a blast as well.

Marvel was garbage in the 90s as well. Check out any of the ASMs, FFs or even X-Men from that time period and they sucked more often than not. Thankfully I did not speculate on the 2099 junk like I was thinking of doing. lol

The only decent reads from the 90s were pre-Unity Valiants, and that was short lived as well. Mind you, I still liked X-O and Magnus for a while longer than that, and the BWS Archer & Armstrong run was a blast as well.

DC published TONS of great stuff in the 90s. Marvel put out some decent stuff, but was on a downhill slide and made some horrible decisions.

From what I have seen, Marvel seems to feel "We can be crazier than DC" and DC

seems to feel "Oh no you can't." I suspect some years DC wins that contest and

some years Marvel wins. Now a lot of collectors are thinking "a pox on both your

houses."

Actually, the cycle is as follows:

1. Marvel puts out X variants in a month.

2. buy them for ridiculous prices and encourage the creation of more variants.

3. DC sees that Marvel is outselling them and decides they had better copy what Marvel is doing.

4. Marvel puts out 2X variants next month.

DC may suck for copying Marvel's variant stupidity, but they will never equal or beat them at it.

Granted Marvel/Timely did beat DC on two things:

1) First Variant: Marvel Mystery 1 (Oct & Nov)

2) Two heroes meet and the first thing they do is fight.

I am not favorably impressed by either "first."

As for the variant craze of the past few years, I am not sure that

DC got it from Marvel. There is enough of it going around to cover

both with pig food after it has been processed by the pig.

Remember, the recent variant mess could be traced back to

Legends of the Dark Knight 1 when DC thought they had to do

something to help the dealers who (DC believed) had over ordered

the issue.

A "good deed" that has produce a lot of punishment for everyone.

And there are still a lot of copies of LDK 1 gracing the $.50 boxes.

I agree, there are period collectors, or genre collectors, or title collectors but what I

am looking for are the full blown complete collectors.

If someone knows of such an individual but is not sure if the individual would

want to be "outed," I would be happy with a state/country plus a single

letter (first name or board name). That should protect the individual while

eliminating duplicates.

Surely there are more than 3 (4?) of us out there.

Does anyone know if Christine is still collecting? I know she does not

want anyone contacting her (or at least she did not about 10 years ago).

I could find out....she is still here I believe? BTW, her brother Skip also has mega killer DC GA collection too.....