• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many DC Completionists are left?

246 posts in this topic

Still, list the comics. We can wait for you to have the $$ and I am just curious to see which lowly ones have escaped you.

True, list them. If I come across stuff - I'm always finding weird - we can always trade.

I was a DC completionist at one time. Not only DC but every comic ever printed. But that was back in the 60's when I was a kid. I told this story many times over the years. Its one of those things I'm known for. Even made the local paper back when. The story was about me, the Kid with all the comics. I had just about every comic ever printed at one time. Had most of the rare books too. Now in my 60's I have sold off a lot of the books that I lost interest in. I still have most of my collection. But not all the DC's anymore. So I guess I'm a completionist and I'm still around. Just not an active completionist.

(thumbs u

And when these fine people help you locate these issues, please don't toss them aside like an old spank sock. That's what Ian did.

No I didn't.

I was hounded off these boards by rudeness and vicious attacks, so I just gave up in the end.

DC and Taschen Books are doing a huge six hundred page massive book on the history of DC for its 75th Birthday, and it's virtually all being photographed from my collection.

They've been over from Germany three times to photograph all sorts of covers and interiors.

They've done nearly 1000 photos so far, and it's all being officially recognised as being photographed from the Ian Levine Collection.

So far the only comic I have been unable to supply them is a 1950s Australian comic - Super Adventure 36.

I have thankfully been able to give them every other interior or cover that they have requested, across 75 years.

$6000 a year for modern DCs? Wow, that's more than I would have expected.

Shep

It's one hell of a lot more than that. With every Wildstorm, every Absolute Edition, every Archive Edition and every hardback, it's about eighteen to twenty thousand dollars a year.

In England, it averages out at a thousand pounds per month.

Some of these recent books are even fun to read.

There are much more wonderful recent comics than there used to be over the last decade in particular.

Superman 700, Batman 700, Wonder Woman 600, all the recent Brave And The Bolds with Joe Michael Straczynski teaming up favourites like The Inferior Five, Adventure Comics back to its original number sequence, the recent variant cover to Legion Of Super Heroes with the most classic 1960s retro logo and cover I have ever seen, House Of Mystery, Zatanna, ALL of the entire run of the Justice Society Of America, Doom Patrol, DC Universe Legacies, not to mention one offs this year like Phantom Stranger, Atom and Hawkman, Suicide Squad, and the forthcoming Weird War tales, Star Spangled War Stories, Our Army At War, Our Fighting Forces, and G.I. Combat.

It's been a whole new Golden Age and a reward for faithful collectors.

Shep

It's one hell of a lot more than that. With every Wildstorm, every Absolute Edition, every Archive Edition and every hardback, it's about eighteen to twenty thousand dollars a year.

You know... I appreciate that you spend an inordinate amount of money to maintain your collection. That takes dedication. :applause:

Some of these recent books are even fun to read.

There are much more wonderful recent comics than there used to be over the last decade in particular.

Superman 700, Batman 700, Wonder Woman 600, all the recent Brave And The Bolds with Joe Michael Straczynski teaming up favourites like The Inferior Five, Adventure Comics back to its original number sequence, the recent variant cover to Legion Of Super Heroes with the most classic 1960s retro logo and cover I have ever seen, House Of Mystery, Zatanna, ALL of the entire run of the Justice Society Of America, Doom Patrol, DC Universe Legacies, not to mention one offs this year like Phantom Stranger, Atom and Hawkman, Suicide Squad, and the forthcoming Weird War tales, Star Spangled War Stories, Our Army At War, Our Fighting Forces, and G.I. Combat.

It's been a whole new Golden Age and a reward for faithful collectors.

And it is pretty neat that you actually read them still. I know I wouldn't in your shoes.

As a result he has been to busy, I expect, to spend

a lot of time on comics.

I have put more hours into the big forthcoming official anniversary Taschen DC Book than anything else I have done this year.

It has taken weeks and weeks of continuous work to pull a thousand comics out, get them photographed, then file them back again.

DC claim, quite correctly, that it will be the best book on DC Comics ever produced in history, and I am so proud to be an integral part of it.

As a result he has been to busy, I expect, to spend

a lot of time on comics.

I have put more hours into the big forthcoming official anniversary Taschen DC Book than anything else I have done this year.

It has taken weeks and weeks of continuous work to pull a thousand comics out, get them photographed, then file them back again.

DC claim, quite correctly, that it will be the best book on DC Comics ever produced in history, and I am so proud to be an integral part of it.

Can you post the list of promos you still need (or PM them)? Thanks!

Shep

I can't speak to the cost in England, but the "Actual" retail price of every DC (including imprints) with a 2009 cover date in the U.S.--> $10,895.34

Personally, I pay about 40% off retail, so the $6000 cost is pretty close. Obviously some of the variants cost more than cover price, so maybe $7K is a bit more accurate.

A full breakdown of cost-by-year is available on my website:

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/report-annual-cost.php'>http://www.dcindexes.com/database/report-annual-cost.php

DCIndexer

Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics

http://www.dcindexes.com

I love it anytime Ian posts. To me he has the ultimate collection. It is not the Dentist who has deep pockets and only wants the best. It is the person that wants them all, read them all, and then actually keeps adding to them.

Modern comics are great. The artwork is superb. The story telling is fantastic. I would love to be a completist.

Can you post the list of promos you still need ? Thanks!

With pleasure

ADVERTISE IN DC AND JOIN THE STARS - Promtional Giveway Pamphlet

COMIC CAVALCADE Coverless Giveaway Number Three - "The Twain Shall Meet"

COMIC CAVALCADE Coverless Giveaway Number Five - "Heroes In Dungarees"

COMIC CAVALCADE Coverless Giveaway Number Six - "Hop Harrigan"

FLASH TV SHOW 1990 Promotional Brochure

LOONEY TUNES TYSON MINI-COMICS "The Great Scavenger Hunt" - 7 (I have all the other nine)

OVERSEAS EDITIONS FOR US ARMED FORCES - Superman 27, 28, 72

SPECIAL NAVY EDITION (1944) - 5, 6

SUPERMAN CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE 1944 (Second Of Two That Year) - 2 (The Candy Cane Cover)

SUPERMAN GOLDEN PRESS GIVEAWAY

SUPERMAN TIM - August 42, September 42, November 42, December 42, January 43, February 43, November 43, January 44, December 45, August 46

I can't speak to the cost in England, but the "Actual" retail price of every DC (including imprints) with a 2009 cover date in the U.S.--> $10,895.34

You can't possibly be including all the trade paperbacks, all the hardbacks, all the Archive Editions, and all the Absolute Editions in this figure.

Not to mention Vertigos, Wildstorms, and CMXs.

I love it anytime Ian posts. To me he has the ultimate collection. It is not the Dentist who has deep pockets and only wants the best. It is the person that wants them all, read them all, and then actually keeps adding to them.

Modern comics are great. The artwork is superb. The story telling is fantastic. I would love to be a completist.

Thankyou for this. A friend told me they were discussing DC completists on here, so I popped back to see after a long absence.

With the huge unbelievable amount of work I have put into the Taschen book, my collection is obviously very current on my mind at the moment, and to be honest, I have been amazed at the quality of some of the recent moderns. They make sense of a DC collection and have traditional placings and styles, whereas just two years ago there was no evidence of any such thing.

Who's have thought two years ago we'd have Adventure Comics 516 released this week, and with the Legion in it as well ???

And when these fine people help you locate these issues, please don't toss them aside like an old spank sock. That's what Ian did.

No I didn't.

I was hounded off these boards by rudeness and vicious attacks, so I just gave up in the end.

DC and Taschen Books are doing a huge six hundred page massive book on the history of DC for its 75th Birthday, and it's virtually all being photographed from my collection.

They've been over from Germany three times to photograph all sorts of covers and interiors.

They've done nearly 1000 photos so far, and it's all being officially recognised as being photographed from the Ian Levine Collection.

So far the only comic I have been unable to supply them is a 1950s Australian comic - Super Adventure 36.

I have thankfully been able to give them every other interior or cover that they have requested, across 75 years.

:applause: