• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing a staple

13 posts in this topic

That's correct - technically, on it's own it does not impact the grade. However, typically a book mf'd with only one staple has had less support through it's life and consequently may have incurred greater stress. It's always prudent to look for other defects and signs of stress related to this condition.

:gossip: I'd rather have two . . .

That's correct - technically, on it's own it does not impact the grade. However, typically a book mf'd with only one staple has had less support through it's life and consequently may have incurred greater stress. It's always prudent to look for other defects and signs of stress related to this condition.

:gossip: I'd rather have two . . .

I agree with all of this, and I would add that although a missing staple alone doesn't affect the technical grade, I would expect the price to be lowered to reflect the manufacturing defect.

Was the book supposed to be manufactured with two staples? Or was it supposed to be bound with only one?

:roflmao:

It's a serious question, and I was actually wondering the same thing.

In the mid 1940's many comics were intentionally manufactured with only one staple due to a shortage of metal because of World War II. Since you didn't mention what the book was or what era it was from, it's a natural question to ask.

Was the book supposed to be manufactured with two staples? Or was it supposed to be bound with only one?

Stick around - you may actually learn something :makepoint:

It's a serious question, and I was actually wondering the same thing.

In the mid 1940's many comics were intentionally manufactured with only one staple due to a shortage of metal because of World War II. Since you didn't mention what the book was or what era it was from, it's a natural question to ask.

doh!, my bad, thanks for the history lesson. It is cap 103

I have a 50s Atlas in very nice grade that was manufactured unintenionally with only one staple. There are even no staple holes.

This "defect" was quite common through and including the '60's. :) I suspect it was nothing more than the "stapler" running out of staples.