• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics Question ???

60 posts in this topic

A long time comic hobbyist/collector/dealer in my area had a small collection. Offered it to me at $3500, I looked at it, figured it was worth $8000-$9000 and gave him $4500. He told me it was the first time in this hobby someone ever gave him more than he asked. Afterward, he also told me that if I had turned it down or went below $3100, he would have taken to another dealer/friend and he knew the guy would give offer him $3000 if he asked for $3500, because what ever he has offered him in the past, he always got a counter offer from him.

If your deal was worth $1100+, I probably would have taken the comics and then gave the extra $200.

But that's just me.

I don't think you did anything ethically wrong. Seller gave a price, you paid it. End of story.

Steve, thanks alot for sharing this story. It was really good for me to read. I appreciate hearing that there are others out there who are working from a place of integrity. Personally, I need to have that balance of getting a good deal, but also being mindful of taking care of the other person in the deal.

For context, these books were out of state, so I contacted another board member who lived near the seller to drive down and look at the books for me. Based on what he told me over the phone after seeing the books in person, I transferred $275 to this board member to pay the seller, instead of the $200 that she told me was her best price.

Now that the books are in hand and I have a real idea about the grades and values, I'm realizing that I should do quite well... better than initially expected. So I'm considering sending the woman an additional $125 to bring the total I will have paid her up to the original $400 asking price. And quite frankly, I know she needs the money more than I do.

Yes, please let us know what books you will be selling so that our low ball offers are geared up to go!

Because now if you don't take them, you're a jerk because we all know what you paid for the books. LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm kidding mostly. I would like to see the list, but if I were you and plan to re-sell here, I'd throw a bunch of books up that you got elsewhere too so that people won't feel entitled to a deep discount.

This has probably been discussed on the boards before, but I'm too lazy to go look for previous threads right now. So here's the scenario:

Seller is asking $400 for some comics.

Before seeing the books, in an email I ask, "What's the best price you can do on these?"

Seller says, "$200 for all of them."

So, upon traveling out to see the books, I realize $200 is a great deal and I'm ready to buy the comics.

What would you do? Pay the $200? Pay the original $400 asking price? Split the difference and pay $300? hm

I fail to see how ethics are relevant to this question :shrug:

The seller set a price. You haggled & received a lower price. You pay the lower price. End of story.

This is correct. There is nothing unethical about this unless you have deceived her in some way.

If you were getting 100K worth of books, that would be a different story.

This is correct. There is nothing unethical about this unless you have deceived her in some way.

Nope... no deception. Just asked what her best price was prior to seeing the books and $200 is what she told me.

I know business is business, but this isn't a full time business for me. It's a hobby. It's for for fun and for building my collection. Plus, I do love the thrill of the hunt for old books like these.

While there is certainly no ethical obligation, I would certainly applaud if you kicked in a little more than the 200.00. Not everyone can 'do their homework' to arrive at the appropriate price and it is good to be fair with the seller. We need more fairness in this hobby. If a cashier gives you more change than is due do you take it or give it back ? I can honestly say I give it back and I always feel better about it when I do.

A long time comic hobbyist/collector/dealer in my area had a small collection. Offered it to me at $3500, I looked at it, figured it was worth $8000-$9000 and gave him $4500. He told me it was the first time in this hobby someone ever gave him more than he asked. Afterward, he also told me that if I had turned it down or went below $3100, he would have taken to another dealer/friend and he knew the guy would give offer him $3000 if he asked for $3500, because what ever he has offered him in the past, he always got a counter offer from him.

If your deal was worth $1100+, I probably would have taken the comics and then gave the extra $200.

But that's just me.

I don't think you did anything ethically wrong. Seller gave a price, you paid it. End of story.

Steve, thanks alot for sharing this story. It was really good for me to read. I appreciate hearing that there are others out there who are working from a place of integrity. Personally, I need to have that balance of getting a good deal, but also being mindful of taking care of the other person in the deal.

For context, these books were out of state, so I contacted another board member who lived near the seller to drive down and look at the books for me. Based on what he told me over the phone after seeing the books in person, I transferred $275 to this board member to pay the seller, instead of the $200 that she told me was her best price.

Now that the books are in hand and I have a real idea about the grades and values, I'm realizing that I should do quite well... better than initially expected. So I'm considering sending the woman an additional $125 to bring the total I will have paid her up to the original $400 asking price. And quite frankly, I know she needs the money more than I do.

That last line says it all.

More like you are needed in our hobby (worship)

This has probably been discussed on the boards before, but I'm too lazy to go look for previous threads right now. So here's the scenario:

Before seeing the books, in an email I ask, "What's the best price you can do on these?"

So, upon traveling out to see the books, I realize $200 is a great deal and I'm ready to buy the comics.

What would you do? Pay the $200? Pay the original $400 asking price? Split the difference and pay $300? hm

All depends on the situation. If it's actually $400 worth of comics, I'll pay the $200 and thank him for the great deal. If it's 10 grand worth of comics I'll let him know he's sitting on a nice collection and make a low offer on one or two. Maybe offer to help him sell them properly in exchange for a freebie.

But that's just me.

I second that emotion (worship)

But that's just me.

I second that emotion (worship)

:preach: softies! :baiting:

The seller set a price. You haggled & received a lower price. You pay the lower price. End of story.

+ an infinite number.

These arguments are seriously stupid and a joke whenever they're brought up. You were quoted a price. You negotiated. The price came down. You bought it. rantrant

That's called CAPITALISM. I thought we were for that.

Oh wait, we aren't, this is comicbookland, where we're supposed to make sure we pay the absolute top dollar for everything because it is "ethically the right thing to do."

No, it isn't. You were quoted a price, you paid it. The end. doh!

+ an infinite number.

These arguments are seriously stupid and a joke whenever they're brought up. You were quoted a price. You negotiated. The price came down. You bought it. rantrant

Oh wait, we aren't, this is comicbookland, where we're supposed to make sure we pay the absolute top dollar for everything because it is "ethically the right thing to do."

I do hope everybody who is arguing the other way is going to pay me "market value" for all the dollar books I sold the past weekend in the VCC. Seeing as lots of those books sell all day long for $5-10 each, I'll be sitting here waiting for my checks to come in from the buyers, because "that's the ethical thing to do."

Give me a break.

I don't think paying a fair value equates to paying top dollar or OVERPAYING.

This isn't an ethical issue actually.

But that's just me.

+14

+ an infinite number.

I do hope everybody who is arguing the other way is going to pay me "market value" for all the dollar books I sold the past weekend in the VCC. Seeing as lots of those books sell all day long for $5-10 each, I'll be sitting here waiting for my checks to come in from the buyers, because "that's the ethical thing to do."

Give me a break.

You don't "need" the extra money...you get along quite nicely due to your good looks and charm;)

Seriously....I think what the OP is doing is going to bring him good karma...or at least some fun when he makes a profit and can still sleep well at night.

+ an infinite number.

Give me a break.

Quoting your own quote.... Impressive(using my Jame Earl Jones voice)

+ an infinite number.

Give me a break.

Quoting your own quote.... Impressive(using my Jame Earl Jones voice)

I know. Pretentious of me. lol

These arguments are seriously stupid and a joke whenever they're brought up. You were quoted a price. You negotiated. The price came down. You bought it.

Donut, it's not an argument, it's a discussion. Thanks for bringing your point of view.

However, I don't think there's one right answer here. I think there are different strokes for different folks. You've found a way that works for you. I know what works for me. And at least in this instance, what worked for me was to do better by the seller.

Like every other collector/dealer, I don't want to "pay the absolute top dollar for everything because it is ethically the right thing to do." I want a good deal like everyone else does. But after realizing how well this deal worked out for me, coupled with the information I had from the boardie who assisted me with the transaction about the seller's apparent limited means, I knew I'd feel better about the deal if I kicked in something more for her.

I know the lynch mob might come after me for saying this on a board full of collectors, but in 50 years, what's gonna matter most to me isn't how many rare comics I have in my collection. It's gonna be the relationships I have or had with other people.