• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTA 27 club
5 5

369 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2017 at 9:10 PM, KirbyJack said:

10 Marvel keys?

FF 1

TOS 39

TTA 27

AF 15

XMen 1

JIM 83

DD 1

AVNG 4

ST 110

Hulk 1

My personal list includes these plus Avengers 1, Sgt. Fury 1, ASM 1, and Fantastic Four 4.

Good List, its almost identical to mine. When I say 10 Keys, this is my list. Some don't do Strange Tales 110 or Avengers 1, but to me they are canon. If I had to switch any out I might drop the 110 for Amazing Spider-Man 1, but its just off to me. It's not a major first like "First Avengers" which to me counts conceptually as a major first.  My 2nd Tier would have ASM 1, Sgt Fury 1, and Avengers 4.

1. Amazing Fantasy 15

2. Incredible Hulk 1

3. Journey Into Mystery 83

4. Tales to Astonish 27

5. The X-Men 1

6. Tales of Suspense 39

7. Daredevil 1

8. Fantastic Four 1

9. Avengers 1 (its my favorite book of the silver age)

10. Strange Tales 110

13 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

That was my way of making a list of ten Marvel keys using consistent criteria. 

For me personally, to have the biggies you need the 14! :sumo:

Your top 14 my list+2nd tier+FF 4?

Hi guys!

I have been wondering about the actual level of "rarity" of TTA27 compared with other big SA books like Hulk 1 or AF15.

Looking at the CGC census the total number of graded copies are 815 compared to 2724 (AF15) and 1417 (IH1).

Where do these differences depend on your opinion? Have fewer samples actually survived? Was the printing run lower or is it just the fact that the book (or Hank Pym) is less popular, leading to fewer copies ending up to CGC while more are still left ungraded?

I know that the answer is probably based on assumptions (except maybe the printing runs that are probably known facts), but what do you think?

I would imagine its smaller census pop is due to a few reasons

1. Smaller print run (newest/least popular BEM book, issue came at the end of the entire product line and concept).

2. 2nd Tier Character

3. Lower per grade value

Heck, the fact that it was a smaller profit margin 10cent book instead of a 12 might even play a part in limiting its print run. Or that it was a conversion issue that wasn't on face value part of the big marvel superhero re-brand and therefore might have had a smaller print-run and overall collector love (I think when those first reprint collections that came out in the 60's would show all the other keys like ToS39, AF15, and JIM83 but for Antman would show TTA35 instead of 27 again causing this book to not be as loved/cherished from day 1 as the other mega keys).

Its funny I just bought a nice copy and here I am denigrating it, but you asked so lol here is my view.

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I would imagine its smaller census pop is due to a few reasons

1. Smaller print run (newest/least popular BEM book, issue came at the end of the entire product line and concept).

2. 2nd Tier Character

3. Lower per grade value

Heck, the fact that it was a smaller profit margin 10cent book instead of a 12 might even play a part in limiting its print run. Or that it was a conversion issue that wasn't on face value part of the big marvel superhero re-brand and therefore might have had a smaller print-run and overall collector love (I think when those first reprint collections that came out in the 60's would show all the other keys like ToS39, AF15, and JIM83 but for Antman would show TTA35 instead of 27 again causing this book to not be as loved/cherished from day 1 as the other mega keys).

Its funny I just bought a nice copy and here I am denigrating it, but you asked so lol here is my view.

Thanks for the input! And congrats on your acquisition. Its a huge book nevertheless (and I have actually just purchased a copy too lol).

6 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

And it was really a try out book.We could be talking about Bee Boy.

While this is factual (all the Stan stories you read about this say that fan mail prompted them to look at the character again; yes, Suspense 32 similarly got some mail, but nothing like this -- the story is always something like that) the fact in no way diminishes the book's importance. 

It's important because it's the first Hank Pym, and he's as major a non-solo title-carrying character as there is at Marvel. He's like Martian Manhunter for DC; doesn't carry a book long but a lynchpin character for decades. (Pym moreso, really). He's the wellspring for Giantman,the Wasp, Ultron, Yellowjacket, Egghead, Black Goliath, Scott Lang, the Vision, Sons of the Serpent. I'm probably forgetting something else that's derivative of Pym as a character. 

As to its actual relative scarcity, if you were collecting pre-Internet, you probably experienced this book as almost apocryphal among SA Marvel keys as it was a very tough to come across compared to all the others. 

There's something about the lack of a costume and hero name that causes some people to want to overlook the book, but it is Hank Pym's intro, and Stan does come back to him in a big way a few months later to weave him into everything. Hank Pym in total is far important than any one of his incarnations; that is the biggest difference from most other first appearances.

4 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Very well put! (thumbsu

I could nitpick the math on the Suspense 32, but I won't. I quite liked the Martian Manhunter analogy; hadn't heard that one before!

Thank you, sir! The math on the relative letters? I could be off; its just how I remember reading it. That's the general gist, though, right? Both got fan response; I thought man in the ant-hill got much more? (shrug)

Edited by Readcomix
Typos

So I was curious so I did some research. I compared the current CGC census for (my) top 10 marvel books, it confirmed what I suspected. TTA27 is far and away the lowest graded of the keys. Because this book has always been on the radar as one of the most important marvel books and its stood up in grade as one of the most expensive marvel books, I believe that people aren't holding this book and avoiding grading/grading fees. If you own this book in unrestored/complete condition (and you grade books LOL) you would grade this. This tells me this book just doesn't exist in the numbers other marvel keys do. For scale I also added all copies in 6.0+.  Normally I would do 5.0+ as Collector Grade (childish reason really, has "fine" in it or better in the description so to me that was always the cut off lol) but figured straight up 6.0 FINE would be a good baseline. Interesting story this tells. I filtered by highest number graded to lowest for illustration purposes. Dont know if this list exists elsewhere but does now as of this morning :-)

Top10MarvelPic.jpg

Edited by zhamlau
Pic didnt save at first.

I'm so happy to join this club! I never thought that I'd have the opportunity to own a copy of this book. I always told comic friends that I needed (whatever) issues for the TTA #35-69 run, never thinking a #27 was even possible. 

Well, I was fortunate that a dealer friend was selling some TTAs for another friend at Heroes Con. I made the best offer I could make (I'm not a high roller by any means), and he accepted.

It's not the prettiest copy, but it's complete and the staples and centerfold are firmly attached.

TTA27front.thumb.jpg.90d3d0476861919b3dfdc4cb5396c7b2.jpgTTA27back.thumb.jpg.7e5c0edba015e0a6052bdcb1d4ee4da0.jpg

42 minutes ago, sassemble said:

I'm so happy to join this club! I never thought that I'd have the opportunity to own a copy of this book. I always told comic friends that I needed (whatever) issues for the TTA #35-69 run, never thinking a #27 was even possible. 

Well, I was fortunate that a dealer friend was selling some TTAs for another friend at Heroes Con. I made the best offer I could make (I'm not a high roller by any means), and he accepted.

It's not the prettiest copy, but it's complete and the staples and centerfold are firmly attached.

Congrats! 

9 hours ago, sassemble said:

TTA27front.thumb.jpg.90d3d0476861919b3dfdc4cb5396c7b2.jpgTTA27back.thumb.jpg.7e5c0edba015e0a6052bdcb1d4ee4da0.jpg

Its a fine copy, its complete, and its a mega key that fills the run....Hell of a score, good job!