• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone purchased from "Amazing Adventures" on Ebay or in store?

59 posts in this topic

Got a bit off track, here. For the record, I felt like I owe it to Sal to reiterate what I originally posted about him. His integrity doesn't deserve to be buried by a discussion that went far afield.

This is what I wrote:

"In the interest of full disclosure, I think it's been many years since I've purchased something from Sal at a convention; but that's been due mostly to his showing up with stock I don't collect (And then again, I don't see him setting up at most conventions we've both attended in the last decade or so. . .I think he is mostly there to buy and enjoy the scene. It wouldn't surprise me if he sets up still at Wondercon since that's a local show for him, but I haven't been to that in a number of years myself.)."

To sum it up, I have many collector friends who have bought stuff from Sal over the years and walked away very pleased with every facet of the transaction. I wouldn't presume to reject any assertions to the contrary as I'm sure my experiences are no more authentic than other folks who've dealt with him. I'm just saying that he's always been a total straight shooter and seller of integrity for the transactions I DID have with him many years ago and those I've heard about through friends in the hobby.

The gist I got was, grades accurately, deals fairly but doesn't seem to love his customers and doesn't deal well with small talk.

Frankly, I'll take honesty and fair dealings over uber friendly but dishonest any day of the week. The combination doesn't seem easy to come by in the comics hobby.

Your gist is incorrect.

It's not that he doesn't "love" his customers, it's that he seems to actively detest his customers; you are annoying him by being in his store and by wanting to buy his books. I also fail to see how completely absurd pricing somehow makes you a "fair dealer" :shrug:

I read it again, along with all your references, and don't come to the same conclusions you do. And yes, I knew what you were getting at with your first post.

As long as you aggressively seek out harm where none was intended, you'll continue to have a miserable life.

+1..i couldn't agree more..

one thing these boards can do,and i see it way too much,is take a simple statement that anyone of us would or could use in or out of context,with no harm intended,and turn it into a lynching.

That's why I'm afraid to make any statement - whether it by factual or "IMO" here on the "The Boards". The way things operate in this Bizarro Universe is unreal. I can't tell you how many times I've stated that I think Brubaker's Cap run is the best Cap story ever only to have someone accuse me of strangling kittens. Heaven forbid you flip a book on the FS Forum to make a little extra $$$ - you might find yourself on the FBI's Terrorist Watch List.

:censored: There's no room for profit??

I read it again, along with all your references, and don't come to the same conclusions you do. And yes, I knew what you were getting at with your first post.

As long as you aggressively seek out harm where none was intended, you'll continue to have a miserable life.

+1..i couldn't agree more..

one thing these boards can do,and i see it way too much,is take a simple statement that anyone of us would or could use in or out of context,with no harm intended,and turn it into a lynching.

That's why I'm afraid to make any statement - whether it by factual or "IMO" here on the "The Boards". The way things operate in this Bizarro Universe is unreal. I can't tell you how many times I've stated that I think Brubaker's Cap run is the best Cap story ever only to have someone accuse me of strangling kittens. Heaven forbid you flip a book on the FS Forum to make a little extra $$$ - you might find yourself on the FBI's Terrorist Watch List.

:censored: There's no room for profit??

See!!!! See!!!! Now I have a ninja chipmunk breathing down my neck. :pullhair:

I am so offended.... why do you assume I am a man. You keep saying Mister Tsimanga? Are you saying women can't be collectors or are you just being stereotypical about the majority of collectors and assuming I am a male. Either way. I'd say you owe an explanation to all over those comments.

Now, not to come off as rude, because you have been rather polite in your blabbing and I do hear where you are coming from...but...

Give me a break. If any of you schmucks took my little 'Sal' comment personally... we'll, then good. Because it was a joke in the most minor sense of the word. To call me out on that in such a lengthy and salemic fashion is rather absurd.

I feel like I'm being Fuzzy Zoeler'ed. I don't know. Maybe I should ask my ditsy blonde sister, she can ask her Indian friend who's probably good at math to break down the probability. Now if only all the cat and dog eating Chinese people knew that many black people can sing and dance much better than those silver spooned white people who have no rhythm...the world would be a better place.

Where I'm from, we are comfortable enough with everyone to poke a little fun now and then and not be so uptight. And I sure as hell ain't changing who I am for you or anybody. You can tip-toe on egg shells your whole life, afraid that what you do or say will come across as offensive like you got something to hide... I have nothing to hide and prefer to stomp the yard heels first.

Bigoted.... Cheese n rice! Some of you people need to lighten up. That's a first for me, and I've been called a lot of stuff.

It's the 4th of July... go get drunk, eat a hot dog and play Frisbee with your dog. Much better for the soul than dedicating your life to hunting for undercover Nazi's on comic book forums.

I need to revise my original apology a little bit.

You're right, Martin. I apologize for assuming you were male, Martin. I should have known better since there are a number of respected female collectors on these boards, Martin. I own that one for sure, Martin.

As for the rest of your post. . .

So you're basically recanting your original reply about innocently mistyping it as not adequately representing your true intent behind the original post.

Good to know where you REALLY stand, Mr./Ms./Miss/Mrs./Dr. Martin Tsimanga.

I am so offended.... why do you assume I am a man. You keep saying Mister Tsimanga? Are you saying women can't be collectors or are you just being stereotypical about the majority of collectors and assuming I am a male. Either way. I'd say you owe an explanation to all over those comments.

Now, not to come off as rude, because you have been rather polite in your blabbing and I do hear where you are coming from...but...

Give me a break. If any of you schmucks took my little 'Sal' comment personally... we'll, then good. Because it was a joke in the most minor sense of the word. To call me out on that in such a lengthy and salemic fashion is rather absurd.

I feel like I'm being Fuzzy Zoeler'ed. I don't know. Maybe I should ask my ditsy blonde sister, she can ask her Indian friend who's probably good at math to break down the probability. Now if only all the cat and dog eating Chinese people knew that many black people can sing and dance much better than those silver spooned white people who have no rhythm...the world would be a better place.

Where I'm from, we are comfortable enough with everyone to poke a little fun now and then and not be so uptight. And I sure as hell ain't changing who I am for you or anybody. You can tip-toe on egg shells your whole life, afraid that what you do or say will come across as offensive like you got something to hide... I have nothing to hide and prefer to stomp the yard heels first.

Bigoted.... Cheese n rice! Some of you people need to lighten up. That's a first for me, and I've been called a lot of stuff.

It's the 4th of July... go get drunk, eat a hot dog and play Frisbee with your dog. Much better for the soul than dedicating your life to hunting for undercover Nazi's on comic book forums.

I need to revise my original apology a little bit.

You're right, Martin. I apologize for assuming you were male, Martin. I should have known better since there are a number of respected female collectors on these boards, Martin. I own that one for sure, Martin.

As for the rest of your post. . .

So you're basically recanting your original reply about innocently mistyping it as not adequately representing your true intent behind the original post.

Good to know where you REALLY stand, Mr./Ms./Miss/Mrs./Dr. Martin Tsimanga.

Tell me, what is your intent in all of this? What is your wish? I said I mistyped the name Sol and Sal. I never said I innocently mistyped anything else. You're very good on playing with words, and your intentions are just I'm sure. But you should pick who you choose to point the finger at and shout "Bigot..he's a bigot" more selectively.

However, if you wish to read all my past, present and future posts... feel free. I doubt you'll learn much though. I'm small fry.

'Tighter than most guys named Sal' was a joke. One I gave no thought to cause it was rather weak and I don't censor myself for fear of persecution. Never have and never will. You didn't think it was funny. Oh well. Me either. Some you win, some you lose. Move on.

You come across as a bit of an uptight busy body with nothing better to do than conjure up internet flaming wars. Loosen your tie, put away your pitchfork and take down that McCarthy picture off your wall and burn it.

You'll live longer and be a happier man I'm sure...

I've been to his store many many times. He has a huge inventory of filler back issue silver age/bronze age mid graders. A handful of better books in the glass and a few short boxes of better conditioned books behind the counter you can ask for.

As a person... hmmm... he's really a drag I must say. Not much of a personality. Won't give you any discount so don't bother asking. He's tighter than most people named Sol... and that's saying a lot.

His attitude is really blah. Even after I moved away from SF and I saw him at Wondercon he still didn't really give a rats about anything. I really don't think he wants to be in the comics business, I'd say he's burnt out. Unless you need some back issue drek, just buy from him online. Although his store is very classic in the old time comic book store sense. Not many around like it. Has a good selection of boards/boxes also...

Bottom line... A blah guy, not evil or mean, just blah... stores kinda cool gives me a nostaligic feel. Okay books. If you want to finish your Miracle man or Teen titans run.. good place. But again, don't expect any kind of discount.

I've just been through this post in its entirety, and the associated apologies and so forth. I gotta tell you, I'm not thin-skinned at all. Anyone who knows me can say that. I like to joke around and poke fun more than most, but I don't see any other meaning to the bolded text above than what is understood on the first reading.

Assuming that everyone shares this type of humor is an improper assumption. I for one don't.

I've really tried to be as dispassionate and calm with you as I can in the face of the tone of your responses, sir.

Re: Your giving no thought to your original remark, I can't agree more.

It is most apparent that you've given as much thought to all of this as your original comment.

It's never too late to be thoughtful.

I've been to his store many many times. He has a huge inventory of filler back issue silver age/bronze age mid graders. A handful of better books in the glass and a few short boxes of better conditioned books behind the counter you can ask for.

As a person... hmmm... he's really a drag I must say. Not much of a personality. Won't give you any discount so don't bother asking. He's tighter than most people named Sol... and that's saying a lot.

His attitude is really blah. Even after I moved away from SF and I saw him at Wondercon he still didn't really give a rats about anything. I really don't think he wants to be in the comics business, I'd say he's burnt out. Unless you need some back issue drek, just buy from him online. Although his store is very classic in the old time comic book store sense. Not many around like it. Has a good selection of boards/boxes also...

Bottom line... A blah guy, not evil or mean, just blah... stores kinda cool gives me a nostaligic feel. Okay books. If you want to finish your Miracle man or Teen titans run.. good place. But again, don't expect any kind of discount.

I've just been through this post in its entirety, and the associated apologies and so forth. I gotta tell you, I'm not thin-skinned at all. Anyone who knows me can say that. I like to joke around and poke fun more than most, but I don't see any other meaning to the bolded text above than what is understood on the first reading.

Assuming that everyone shares this type of humor is an improper assumption. I for one don't.

And you don't have to. Some people like Fart jokes, some don't. Some people like Polish jokes, some don't. I'm Polish... lay one on me... maybe if I like it I will steal it and put it in a story. But I'm sure you've never said or laughed at a Polish joke have you...

I do apologize if anyone was offended by what I said. But I make no excuses for it and will continue to write whatever I feel is on my mind without censoring myself.

I had to go back through this thread to figure out what that phrase meant. I must be hanging around the right people as I never heard it before.

I'm sorry you're not more sensitive.

Me? I meant growing up surrounded by different cultures and having family and friends of various cultures I don't hear these types of comments.

I'm sorry you're not more sensitive.

Me? I meant growing up surrounded by different cultures and having family and friends of various cultures I don't hear these types of comments.

I was being a smart@ss. I think that is true for most these days. My children embrace everything. I think children will most likely be the cure.

I wouldn't dream of cashing in on any of the royalties since it ain't my intellectual property. For my part, I'd never heard it before either (and wish I'd never run across it). Examining unpleasant things and bringing them into public discourse pulls people (including me) out of their safe zones but is sometimes necessary in order to make better sense of where we're going; and if that means that I gotta be the unpopular guy with the whistle and the spotlight once in awhile, then I can live with that.

Yup, children are certainly the cure. The foundation of my teaching M.O. hinges on imbuing my students with a healthy dose of open-mindedness (embracing things) matched with critical thinking skills over the course of a year in my class. Unfortunately, the forces that push for excessive standardized testing do their level best to remove that critical thinking element, but that's a story for another day.

I accept Tsimanga's apology.

And you don't have to. Some people like Fart jokes, some don't. Some people like Polish jokes, some don't. I'm Polish... lay one on me... maybe if I like it I will steal it and put it in a story. But I'm sure you've never said or laughed at a Polish joke have you...

I do apologize if anyone was offended by what I said. But I make no excuses for it and will continue to write whatever I feel is on my mind without censoring myself.

Ah. So as long as you say it's a joke, you can say "Jewish people are cheapskates". I pray you don't teach middle school somewhere...

He took your remark as bigoted. Others including me may as well, given that you wrote "He's tighter than most people named Sol... and that's saying a lot..".

That clear enough for you?

I took it the same way. No other way to take it. I mean, what kind of qualifier is "most people named Sol"? Quite plain.

Around 2000 I went to their store at the old location. Picked up about 10 FIGHT/WINGS after a quick perusal. Got them home and found the same defect on every book - someone had put a small pencil circle around every female nipple on every panel of every book. Brought them back the next day and SAL (not SOL) refunded me immediately.

Oh yeah - as far as "tight" goes? How about the etymology of "tightwad"? ""parsimonious person," 1900, from tight in the sense of "close-fisted" (1805) + wad. The notions of stringency and avarice also combine in Mod.Gk. sphiktos "greedy," lit. "tight."