• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuckles offers $200,000 for Action 1!

23 posts in this topic

While the boys round up the haul from the latest truck assault, I popped open a copy of next week's Punisher The Movie Adaptation #1 to see just how bad it was...

Two surprises...

First, based on this issue the movie looks like it won't suck. 893whatthe.gif

Second, Chuckles has a new buying ad and is going after the big boys. He offers:

Action 1 - $200,000

Detective 27 - $175,000

Marvel Comics 1 - $150,000

Superman 1 - $125,000

Batman 1 - $60,000

Captain America 1 - $60,000

Amazing Fantasy 15 - $30,000

Human Torch 1 - $20,000

Amazing Spider-Man 1 - $16,000

Wonder Woman 1 - $15,000

X-Men 1 - $6,000

Incredible Hulk 181 - $1,200

Now, he does specify that he is looking for Near Mint 9.6... But using Chucks grading, who really knows what that means?

Oh, and you better hurry... The offer expires at the end of March. smile.gif

When I was a kid Mile High ads dazzled me and as a teenager that's where I purchased my silver age "near mint" Avengers issues. You should see them, it's disgusting. I have one issue that arrived with what I term a "chunk" missing from it (a 2/8"x2/8" piece missing from the cover) Unfortunately being so young and ignorant I never even considered complaining/returning them, after all it was MHC and they must know what NM really is. I feel bad for the kid who saves up an amount of money he considers extravagant to purchase a rare silver age issue for himself and gets MHC's s??t.

CRC

I feel bad for the kid who saves up an amount of money he considers extravagant to purchase a rare silver age issue for himself and gets MHC's s??t.

No more kids buy comics so it's not a problem. frown.gif

Pays for double the BP you mean. And yes, still a ludicrous offer. (And didn't the Allentown go for $250K? That's what I thought I read recently. BP on that would be $37,500.)

The Allentown 9.6 Cap 1 a few years back went for over $200k

That's the book. Assuming 15% BP Chuck's offer pays for HALF the BP. 27_laughing.gif Generous!

Well, seeing as Steve Geppi has a standing "reward" of $1 million for a 9.4 Chuck's price might be a little low.

How about the existing sales record for a Captain America #1 in 9.6? Would $60,000 even cover the buyer's premium on that book?

Hmmm, I was just about to dig these out of my cedar chest and sell them. Now I know someone may actually want to buy them. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

These ads can only work if someone stumbled across a Mile High type of collection. Without knowing anything about the Mile High collection. So if some poor sap actually DID have this happen and thought, "Hmm, let me go to the local comic ship and go through a comic book to see if anyone is buying." And there he'd find a smiling Chuck with open arms. [Just like those stories you hear of someone winning the lottery twice]. Having no clue about Geppi, prior sales, etc. Next we'd have Chuck trumpeting the Mile High 3 pedigree! Just like the movies though, at some point the sequels have to end.

Obviously none of the collectors who already have these type of books would be fooled by this. I'd think they are abundantly aware of who they could flip the book to and for how much in a heartbeat.

So it's just another opportunity for Chuck to get his picture in a comic book and look like he's the guy who is the flag-bearer for the industry. That's my two cents.