• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sells RED RAVEN #1 Mile High Copy and more

145 posts in this topic

No matter what the grades on these books, I can't see him getting even close to $1 million. Still, it would be very cool to see these books in person at SD, particularly the Red Raven #1 and Spirits.

Will Verzyl go hard after the Red Raven to complete his MH Timely collection?

Chuck needs to inject his press releases with more hyperbole and grandiosity.

Yep, and less about his swelling hippopotamus. :insane:

Wouldn't "recent medical problems" have sufficed?

I'd like the spirits at a reasonable multiple of guide. But if he's reaching for a million, they'll be at 6-10 times guide minimum. Someone take a photo for me, that should suffice.

looking at the picture again, looks like he has a duplicate prince valiant top left?

not to mention Big and Jiz comix to his right! Ah man, the life of a comic lover makes for some strange photographs does it not?

all depends on what's in the rest of the box.. although the best pieces are probably displayed.

$1 million for 40 books would mean an average of $25K per book. I just don't see him hitting that average with these books, assuming that the best books are the ones being displayed.

RR #1 will likely go for decent money, but the fact is that esoterica, no matter how high grade, just doesn't go for mega-bucks. Even a highly coveted, relatively rare mainstream superhero book like MMC #9 in 9.4 went for "only" $107K.

I admit that RR #1 is the wildcard, because you just never see copies of this book for sale, let alone in HG, so it's hard to guess what it'll go for. Will it go for a huge price because it's so rare and HG Timely collectors will badly want a shot at such a rare opportunity, or will it go for a disappointing price because at the end of the day it's a one-off esoteric title that is a "cool to have" but not a "must have". Plus, no Gary Keller around to drive up the price.

all depends on what's in the rest of the box.. although the best pieces are probably displayed.

$1 million for 40 books would mean an average of $25K per book.

great point. you made up for that centaur thread! I can go back to respecting your comic knowledge ! :applause::applause:

$1 million for 40 books would mean an average of $25K per book. I just don't see him hitting that average with these books, assuming that the best books are the ones being displayed.

RR #1 will likely go for decent money, but the fact is that esoterica, no matter how high grade, just doesn't go for mega-bucks. Even a highly coveted, relatively rare mainstream superhero book like MMC #9 in 9.4 went for "only" $107K.

I admit that RR #1 is the wildcard, because you just never see copies of this book for sale, let alone in HG, so it's hard to guess what it'll go for. Will it go for a huge price because it's so rare and HG Timely collectors will badly want a shot at such a rare opportunity, or will it go for a disappointing price because at the end of the day it's a one-off esoteric title that is a "cool to have" but not a "must have". Plus, no Gary Keller around to drive up the price.

Didn't Metro have a high grade copy of Red Raven #1 for years on their site asking $35k?

I doubt that was his thought process. He probably just kept the books he likes. If there was a miscalculation it might have been not realizing how much some books would appreciate, in general... but clearly he sold to build his business and just kept a few personal favorites, IMO.

(thumbs u

Chuck built a very profitable new comics distributorship, a large chain of retail stores and then the largest mail order comics business in the country all from the profits from these books. Individually, all of the comics went for record prices when he sold them too. Had he an inkling that that a book he sold for $25,000 would sell for $1million - believe me, he would have kept it. There was no speculation on his keeping the books he did - he loved them all.

According to the census, there are two copies of Red Raven #1 graded at 9.0. It's difficult to tell from Chuck's photo, but it looks like the Church copy could be one of the 9.0's.

Metro had a Red Raven 9.0 for sale at Wizard World Chicago in 2008. (I know it's hard to see in this terrible photo, but it is a blue label 9.0.)

tony-redraven1.jpg

According to the census, there are two copies of Red Raven #1 graded at 9.0. It's difficult to tell from Chuck's photo, but it looks like the Church copy could be one of the 9.0's.

Metro had a Red Raven 9.0 for sale at Wizard World Chicago in 2008. (I know it's hard to see in this terrible photo, but it is a blue label 9.0.)

If the Red Raven is "only" a 9.0, then there's no chance in hell of these books hitting $1 million. They'd probably do well to even reach mid-6 figures.

If the Red Raven is "only" a 9.0, then there's no chance in hell of these books hitting $1 million. They'd probably do well to even reach mid-6 figures.

When Metropolis had the RR#1 CGC 9.0 for sale a little over a year ago they noted in the listing that it was the best existing copy and that the Mile High RR#1 owned by Chuck was in the VF range. Steven I'm sure has seen it.

I haven't checked the census, but the posted photo on page 1 with Chuck looks like the MH graded at least a 9.0 . Just speculation but it was probably an 8.0 or 8.5 raw and pressed into a 9.0.