• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon Con 2010 - Accepting Submissions!!!

642 posts in this topic

Can't wait to see Doug :hi:

I received mine yesterday! :banana:

I'm bummed a out the Celebrity Authentics stickers and the resulting 8.0 grades, but I couldn't be happier with our people! I'll post pics tonight at the earliest, more likely tomorrow!

THANK YOU to everyone that made these possible!

I'm bummed a out the Celebrity Authentics stickers and the resulting 8.0 grades, but I couldn't be happier with our people! I'll post pics tonight at the earliest, more likely tomorrow!

That is just *spooned* up that they would put a sticker on the actual book :screwy:

That is just *spooned* up that they would put a sticker on the actual book :screwy:

I agree. We were already paying their star enough money for his sig.

If we get them cracked to add a sig down the road maybe the sticker could be removed without damage to the book. :shrug:

Celeb Authentics knew that would it would downgrade the books too, surely... I don't understand why they would do it, I feel really bad for you guys, having spent so much for the signature alone, and they go and do that. Did ALL the books get a sticker on them?

Sorry Bryan :(

Hope my NYCC books did not get a sticker on them got 5 done

Where do they put the sticker?

My understanding is that they did not, but I might be mistaken. Hopefully someone who was there can answer for certain.

I've heard that there is an agreement in place now to prevent this in the future. Supposedly CA will put the sticker with the book, keep the books until the end of the show, and hand them over directly to CGC.

In all honesty, I passed on signatures at NYCC for fear that the fools at CA would put their damn stickers on.

Oh, and as for location, it's random. My Superman Returns got it at the bottom near the title. My Dylan Dog got it just below the center of the left hand side near the spine.

:mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored:

The books were received into the system on different days depending on when CGC got around to entering them. The days included are 9/13, 9/21, 9/24, 9/28, 9/29, and 10/13.

All of the books that were received on 9/13 are listed as "shipped/safe".

Most of the books that were listed as received on 9/21 are showing as "scheduled for grading" as of 2 days ago.

I'm hoping the rest follow soon. Of course, if you submitted via the Standard or Express tier, you should have your books back in-hand or very close to it. :)

When did they receive my books?

Oh, and as for location, it's random. My Superman Returns got it at the bottom near the title. My Dylan Dog got it just below the center of the left hand side near the spine.

:mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored::mad::censored:

Wonder where it ended up on my Superman Returns...I'm sad it will have the sticker on it, but looking forward to having the Routh sig! Can't wait to get the Kelley Jones and other books back as well!!!

Well, regarding Celebrity Authentics, they're offering a one hundred 9.8 cgc ss Alien comics signed by Sigourney Weaver (on their website and on eBay). According to them, this is the only way to get a Weaver signed copy of Aliens.

Maybe this is their way of enforcing a monopoly on high grade signed books (theirs has the hologram sticker on the cgc case)?

Well, regarding Celebrity Authentics, they're offering a one hundred 9.8 cgc ss Alien comics signed by Sigourney Weaver (on their website and on eBay). According to them, this is the only way to get a Weaver signed copy of Aliens.

Maybe this is their way of enforcing a monopoly on high grade signed books (theirs has the hologram sticker on the cgc case)?

That's one way of initiating a boycott of their products. They better be careful about abusing their customers.

I don't get all the animosity and drama. CA has a hologram that is part of its certification process. CGC has already worked out a protocol for making sure the hologram gets on the case instead of the book. Its regrettable that some of the Rouths got stickered but all the vitriol is a little much.

I agree. No one knew that Celebrity Authentics was going to be at Dragon Con until after our books got signed. It wasn't listed on the show website, I didn't see any big signs around Routh, and CGC didn't know they would be there. We made sure we told the other CAWs at the show about the issue so people could make informed decisions.

NYCC's website had Celebrity Authentics clearly listed. Knowing they would be there ahead of time, CGC made it clear that if you went through the proper channels, your book CAN get signed by a celebrity and not have the sticker adhered directly to the book. It'll be adhered to the label. I saw CGC and CA working well together at NYCC.

The 2 companies are still working out the details, but it's all part of the process. Celebrity Authentics has to protect their brand the same way CGC has to protect theirs. I'm happy that there's at least an option of having the companies work together. An either/or scenario isn't great for anyone in this instance.

An extra hoop to jump through hop skotch back & forth, but its the process. :whee:

Gotta work the system as it is laid out. Same thing you have to go through if you get a Froggy photo signed/slabbed I think. At least the companies are working together to provide a product.

I have no dog in the fight, I am completely objective because they will never touch my comics.

I would be outraged if something, anything, was attached to a comic book that I owned or which I was responsible for.

You do not ever do anything to a comic book, or any collectible which is valuable, without full disclosure to the customer/owner. I don't want anything ever placed on my comics that I don't ask for, and a signature is a very special thing that some people like.

I could see a business doing something stupid like that 40 years ago, when comics were not at all a big business, or highly valuable. Everyone since then in the business should know better than to degrade a comic by anything, even an "innocent" sticker.

The tiny dealer date stamps and marks were finally being frowned on enough in the 70's to get them to stop that. You must not allow bad practices like that to get started again. Leave comics unaltered from when new, except for the rare signatures which people like on their stuff. Regards,

There is also the Portacio official art sticker on the back of his sketches. I think one other forum member got an 8.5 on that book. If the creator does it to the book then I am ok with it's the risk you take to get the book signed/sketched (just tell me ahead of time so I can pick a lower grade book or tell CGC not to grade it or get them to put it on the slab label or even not get the book slabbed at all) IMHO.

Need to follow up on my CA books @ NYCC. If they did put the sticker on the book I am definitely going to get the photo card that s supposed to go along with the CA number

Again, I have no problem with CGC's people in this. Adam and everyone else did the best they could in a bad situation and I am very happy with their services.

My frustration is the lack of marketability of the item now. Everyone here knows that a modern in 9.6 is near impossible to move, how about an 8.5 or an 8.0? I was not likely to sell them in the first place but now it's not even an option, at least not to get my money back out of them. In addition, I went to a fair amount of effort to find the books in high grade and get them in time. Is anyone interested in a raw 9.2 copy of the Superman Returns adaptation? I've got at least three copies, more if I recall correctly.

Celebrity Authentics knows the value of a high grade CGC book too. They only sell 9.8s. Now the people on site for CA may not have known or understood, but the company does, so it adds to the frustration.

I will try to keep my venting to a minimum. I don't want a boycott or anything else. What's done is done and can't be changed. I'm just frustrated.