• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brave and Bold 34 Cover

97 posts in this topic

Surprised no one has commented on this yet. (worship)

97291_278554_1.jpg

For Sale: Kubert's Brave and the Bold #34 Cover

After residing in a private collection for 40 years, artist Joe Kubert’s original cover art for The Brave and the Bold #34 has come on the market. The piece, originally published in 1961, features the first appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman.

“In my opinion, this cover is one of the top 10 significantly important covers of the Silver Age. Most of the other important covers have either not turned up, or don’t exist any longer,” said art dealer Mitch Itkowitz, who received the consignment for the collector.

The original cover will be on display and for sale at the Comic-Con

International: San Diego from July 21 – 25, 2010. The art will be for sale at the Mitch Itkowitz/Graphic Collectibles booths # 500-504.

For more information, contact Mitch Itkowitz at mitkowitz@hvc.rr.com or (845) 246-0952.

I agree its a great cover, but lets be honest here - its Hawkman... He is not a 1st tier character in the DC universe, and unless a die hard DC fan or a Kubert fan eyes this up, its not really going to appeal to the masses in the same way that say the Showcase #22 cover or the Flash 105 cover would.

Does anyone know the asking price ?

I agree its a great cover, but lets be honest here - its Hawkman... He is not a 1st tier character in the DC universe, and unless a die hard DC fan or a Kubert fan eyes this up, its not really going to appeal to the masses in the same way that say the Showcase #22 cover or the Flash 105 cover would.

I sure hope you're right! :wishluck:

While I think the OA loses some pop from the published color version because of that fantastic electric blue cover, it's still gorgeous.

And although I think comic OA is typically horribly overpriced because the pricing is 90% driven by nostalgia and 10% by artistic quality, this is actually a big budget piece I would consider going for.

It's a beautiful cover. Staring at it though all I can think is "I wish the tunnels were actually that wide! I wouldn't get stuck in traffic every day." It looks like he's got 4 lanes going into each one. Although technically the center lane is being directed straigh into a wall. That's actually how it feels now.

I sure hope you're right! :wishluck:

While I think the OA loses some pop from the published color version because of that fantastic electric blue cover, it's still gorgeous.

And although I think comic OA is typically horribly overpriced because the pricing is 90% driven by nostalgia and 10% by artistic quality, this is actually a big budget piece I would consider going for.

That's got your name on it, Tim. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's a fabulous cover - man up and buy it. :baiting:

Does anyone know the asking price ?

PM sent.

Scott Williams

you have got to evealuate each piece on it's own merits.Comparing to Showcase #22 cover or the Flash 105 is foolish as they have nothing to do with each other. When I bought my BB #36 cover in 1989, the BB 34 owner offered me his for 10k or so (maybe 15k). Seeing as I had just gotten the 36 (long passed to another collector for a record price at the time) I didn't need the 34 cover. Since then the owner has off/on tried to sell it, always for some astronomical price.

Fact: the BB 34 cover is one of the best of all silver dc covers

Fact: Joe Kubert's work in this time period is at it's epoch

now if you want to compare prices.. I say that the BB 34 cover is a better piece than a middling Miller DD cover, or a Dark Knight page duo, or a Tottleben MM cover, or just about any piece that I've seen anyone mention astronomical prices on this forum from the Bronze/Modern age. To me the 34 cover is worth 100 DD covers. Of course, that doesn't mean I think it's worth $10,000,000. It just means that the modern market is skewed by a small number of collectors with lots of jack to spend and to whom silver age means nothing.

I'm sure the price on the BB 34 cover is 300-500k in any case, which is also a very high price regardless of any other factors

you have got to evealuate each piece on it's own merits.Comparing to Showcase #22 cover or the Flash 105 is foolish as they have nothing to do with each other. When I bought my BB #36 cover in 1989, the BB 34 owner offered me his for 10k or so (maybe 15k). Seeing as I had just gotten the 36 (long passed to another collector for a record price at the time) I didn't need the 34 cover. Since then the owner has off/on tried to sell it, always for some astronomical price.

Fact: the BB 34 cover is one of the best of all silver dc covers

Fact: Joe Kubert's work in this time period is at it's epoch

now if you want to compare prices.. I say that the BB 34 cover is a better piece than a middling Miller DD cover, or a Dark Knight page duo, or a Tottleben MM cover, or just about any piece that I've seen anyone mention astronomical prices on this forum from the Bronze/Modern age. To me the 34 cover is worth 100 DD covers. Of course, that doesn't mean I think it's worth $10,000,000. It just means that the modern market is skewed by a small number of collectors with lots of jack to spend and to whom silver age means nothing.

I'm sure the price on the BB 34 cover is 300-500k in any case, which is also a very high price regardless of any other factors

Thanks for your opinion but i think you misunderstood what i was saying, in so much as i said that it was a great cover, but that Hawkman as a 3rd tier character, will not make this cover easier to sell, unlike the Flash #105 cover or Showcase #22 cover, which has a much larger fan base and therefore a potentially larger audience for the original art.

Oh and stating that it is a FACT that the Brave and the Bold #34 cover is one of the best Silver Age DC covers, is not a fact at all. That is your opinion. My opinion might be totally different or it might be the same, art is subjective as you well know and even more so when you are judging based on more than just the art itself, but the composition and layout etc. Well thats my opinion anyway :grin:

An important comic book, no doubt. But, from a cover standpoint, I think few would objectively call this a comic masterpiece. Where exactly is that road going on the right? And Ruben already alluded to the other issues with the cover.

I collected Silver Age from a long time, so believe me when I say I have a healthy respect for this book, Kubert's contributions to the field and the era as a whole, and the rightful place this book (and he) have in the history of comic books.

To compare across eras of collecting is folly. Why exactly must older art be more expensive than newer art? This entire field is "young" artists, compared to other art segments. It's all modern art, to be honest. So, to say this cover must be 500K since the Miller DD cover hit 100K really makes no sense to me. Time will tell, of course.

Just my two cents...

An important comic book, no doubt. But, from a cover standpoint, I think few would objectively call this a comic masterpiece. Where exactly is that road going on the right? And Ruben already alluded to the other issues with the cover.

I collected Silver Age from a long time, so believe me when I say I have a healthy respect for this book, Kubert's contributions to the field and the era as a whole, and the rightful place this book (and he) have in the history of comic books.

To compare across eras of collecting is folly. Why exactly must older art be more expensive than newer art? This entire field is "young" artists, compared to other art segments. It's all modern art, to be honest. So, to say this cover must be 500K since the Miller DD cover hit 100K really makes no sense to me. Time will tell, of course.

Just my two cents...

:applause:

Personally, I love BB 34....if I was rich, I might go for it. Miller.....I love his storytelling ability and would LOVE to own a choice Ronin page....but I don't think he's ever done a cover that I actually liked. Unless I was getting it for a quick flip, I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for one. Now a nice Pacheco cover....that would be another story. You're absolutely right about it all being modern art and each piece is one of a kind. People do seem intent on applying the dynamics of mass produced collectibles to this OA market....and it's not a good fit. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u