• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else dropping ASM due to the price?

66 posts in this topic

Since Marvel now owns most of the future movies coming out, they really should start promoting the comics a bit (on-screen). I remember them doing this at the beginning of a Marvel movie a few years ago. But it never happened again.

The comic give-aways are usually absolute trash too. I mean, far worse than the actual month-to-month stuff. Not exactly the best way to promote the product. It doesn't have to be a movie-adaption. Something different might be the best way to go.

Pat

If you don't mind waiting you can usually buy back issues lets say 1 year old for around 10% of the cover price. 1 year is even probably stretching it, probably more like 3 months. Every once in a while there is 1 or 2 issues that might carry a slight premium but even then they are usually odd titles, variants or independent titles. Very few modern comics from flagship characters ever go up much in value. Most modern back issues can be found for a $1 each or even less if you buy in bulk.

I receive all my moderns through the mail, I live 1200KM from the nearest LCS. I usually get my moderns 2 months late so its no big deal for me. I would get them and pay full cover plus 13% local sales taxes, I could buy the same issues on ebay for around 10% of the cost with no taxes. Again I was already paying shipping so that was not a factor for me.

My attempt to 'rally the troops' has failed. :tonofbricks:

It is tough to go out there every week and buy comics from my LCS knowing that I could get them through a mail order service for less. Or knowing that I can wait and pick up the majority of the issues from a $1 bin within 6 months. Or knowing I can have the whole story arc in a nice trade for less than the single issues.

But I go out there and buy comics every week for two reasons. One being to support my LCS. I like having a LCS in my area where I can go hang out, talk comics and thumb through back issues. I know I pay more there than online sites, but I like supporting the local business. The other reason is so I have new comics to read each week. I enjoy my Wednesday trips to the LCS and enjoy my return home to read some books even more. I like trying to stay current and having something to look forward to every week.

Let's be honest, work sucks (I love my job, but work sucks if you know what I mean). Having Wednesday at the comic shop after work for a quick geek chat and Wednesday evening with some new books and a cold beverage ;) makes getting through the week that much easier. And just for that piece of sanity it helps provide, I don't mind paying a extra couple bucks a week as prices rise.

Love the enthusiasm, stv. (thumbs u

But you've correctly noted the cycle of diminishing returns. Sometime a decade or so ago, Marvel (and to some extent DC) decided to forego business decisions vis-a-vis the titles that would allow long term loyalty. Short term profit and sales bumps became the norm.

Renumber ASM/DD/FF/Avengers from 1? doh!

Four Deadpool books? :insane:

Multiple tie-in mini-series for every event? :tonofbricks:

Vampires in X-Men? :P

New universes (Ultimate, Astonishing, All-Star)? :mad:

New title/mini for every unique idea/event/creator (ie Finch on Batman) :pullhair:

You can see how the cycle has been created.

I still buy 20+ titles a month, but many are Vertigo, Indy etc with none of the above stupidity.

Isn't "Astonishing" in the regular 616 universe? That's where the Kitty Pride phasing missle story started.

Comics are expensive...but I still love hitting the LCS every week or so.

I receive all my moderns through the mail, I live 1200KM from the nearest LCS.

What is that in real measurements..?

;)

In real measurements?

1200 km.

:baiting:

(While we're on the subject, why would water freeze at 32 degrees rather than at 0 degrees?)

Back on topic, I would never drop ASM because of price. I would only drop it if Marvel did something incredibly stupid like canceling the title just to start a new volume with a #1 issue.

Wait... maybe that explains why there are no ASM vol.2 issues in my collection. :insane:

I stopped after Brand New Day

Same here.

I'm about to drop Captain America now too, storyline just went south. Only thing left on my pull list will be Walking Dead and The Waking.

Hi all!

I first read ASM: Essentials when I was really young, like 8 or 9? Anw, I wasn't too impressed then (maybe cos there wasn't any colour and I didn't really like the art lol) but I've liked Spidey since young. Come last year, I took a leap of faith and decided to get serious into comic collecting. As of now, I have almost everything from 302-current. I know it's not a big deal, but I can share it certainly wasn't easy putting everything tgt, especially when you live in a country which has LCS which sells nuts for back issues. I'm a completist too (argh damn OCD), so I try to get every cover I can. So far, Marvel has been doing a pretty good job sucking up all my money with ASM variants coming every 2 issues or so (or worse, 4 covers with one issues: think ASM #617).

Doubt I'll be be buying back issues of #200 and below anytime soon (not at least till I work!) but I guess I'll have to succumb to Marvel's whim and fancy of sucking blood out of us at $3.99 just for one comic. I agree with stv, while it's easy and convenient to get cheaper comics online, the weekly visit to the LCS could keep the comic hobby/interest going when you meet a fellow collector over there or meet a new face and hang out over a couple of drinks etc. Heck, you could even person_without_enough_empathy about some lousy title or commend about some good storyline.

I once thought buying a comic at the cheapest price was key, but I realised that for every buck I saved buying comics online, I probably squandered it off taking a cab or eating at Macs. I still buy comics online, like back issues but for new issues, I try to buy them off my LCS unless the condition really sucks. Like ASM #636 Fyles cover, all the ones that arrived at the 2 LCS I went to were in terrible condition. Heck lot of spine dings.

PS: One sad thing about ASM now is that Spidey's appearance keeps changing with every artist's rotation. Made me actually earn for the old days of ASM. It really made me appreciate JRSR and Steve Ditko's art better.

Cheers!

Gabriel

STV, I also bought from my LCS to support his business. However, this wasn't a spur of the moment thing for me. For a few months now we had been talking about the pricing of comics. His opinion is that Marvel is killing the "small guy" comic shops with these price increases. According to him, he is definitely feeling the affects of the price increases. I told him a few months ago that when the price went up I was going to drop it. Going to do same with UXM when that increases as well as Superman/Batman. Lazyboy, you will never drop it because of price? There has to be some breaking point for you. Will you still be buying it when the price hits $5? $6? At what point will it not be worth it? It's hit that point for me. I'll hit the Raleigh Comic Con once or twice a year and pick them up in back issues for much less.

After I went to the shop today and it was sold out again, I flipped my lid. Told the comic guru that I was dropping the book. Nothing drives me more nutz than no one caring about a book, but jumping on at the high points and taking them from the people that consistently buy.

The guru did mention a couple points I hadn't considered. 1. The variants covers mean that people are buying two of a book that they normally don't buy one of. It depletes the stock quickly. Odd, because I thought people weren't buying the variants as much (at least not the cheap variants). 2. Because it comes out 3 times a month, they have to order all 3 at once. They can't adjust the order for the 2nd book in the month when the 1st has done well.

I would have thought, by now, that they would have gone back to more titles and less issues per month.

Pat

Anyone else notice that the price is dropping back down to $2.99 in October?

Discount for the holiday season for fear that consumers will be spending their money elsewhere? :insane:

Anyone else notice that the price is dropping back down to $2.99 in October?

Discount for the holiday season for fear that consumers will be spending their money elsewhere? :insane:

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 12 to 15 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 15 to 20 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 20 to 25 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 25 to 30 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 30 to 35 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 35 to 50 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 50 to 75 cents.

Same type of tzstorm happened when it went from 75 to $ 1.00.

Adfinausium

I dropped Wolverine (vol. 2) when the price went from $1.75 to $1.95 back in the day. Think it was issue # 81. Later picked up the last 100 issues for ~$.75 per. No regrets.

I was annoyed when ASM went from $.75 to $1.25 in less than 4 years, but at least the books were fun (McFarlane, Larsen, Bagley)..and I was the right age for the book (pre-teen, teen).

yep, when they went up above $1 is when I quit buying them, which seemed to coincide with the clone saga....good thinking Marvel, change the price right when you person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-up a title with some bloke in a blue sweater.