• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

shadow play was only in whitman 2 packs with shroud of mystery. shadow play, i'd say is about 5x more 'scarce'. i have about 10 copies of shroud of mystery and 2-3 copies of shadow play. i'm thinking that shroud of mystery was produced before shadow play. the reason i say that is first the rarity of shadow play and that fact that shroud of mystery is available in 2 different 2 packs(scanned below), the last reason is the price of the 2 packs. the shroud of mystery/jungle twins 2 pack is $1.19 while the shroud of mystery/shadow play 2 pack is ¢.99. but what do i know.

a related story to all of this is whitman created a second issue of, i think, shroud of mystery. it featured steve ditko art. the ditko cover was auctioned years ago at heritage. i cant find the scans and i dont know what it sold for.

shadowplay1fr.jpg

shroud1fr.jpg

spsom2p.jpg

whitman2p.jpg

Just saw this post and I thought I'd show these:

JungleTwins18VFwhitelogo.jpg

ShadowPlay1NMwhitelogo.jpg

SnowWhiteandtheSevenDwarfsnnNMwhitelogo.jpg

Just picked them up earlier this year. All with the white logo.

Bought these on a whim. Not sure if they are related to the Malibu comic, but the costume and title look pretty close to me. Creator credits don't match up though. We'll see when they arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=400144964080&si=tlEVyhlA4NxxUacrkVe0O61WVmo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Found a couple more 80's books this week that I never knew existed. Anybody got any info on either of these? Did Solson ever find any significant comic talent through these books?

I have no real info on the Space Beaver, but, I have Book 1 of it. All I know is it was published in 1986/1987 and the artist/writer was Darick Robertson.

Edited by aszumilo

I saw a self published comic from 1999 with the advertised price of 25 cents and a stamp. Haven't seen the actual comic though, just the ad for it in the back of Angry Youth Comix #11

Yes. I agree. Lots of rich stuff like ads for unknown comics.

I've been going through a lot of these.

By that I mean actually opening them and seeing every page.

Weird, wacky and wonderful stuff. Lovin' it.

See my stuff over at comicopolis' forum.

Porcupine has some nice n scarce comics over here.

I feel so Mid-Atlantic. Does that mean I feel Atlantean?

Does this belong here? Saw one on Ebay just sell for $35

Image2.jpg

They sell very well and the print run wasnt huge by any standards, but its not really that scarce. At least comparing to other books on here. Its his death that pushed sells into the stratosphere. The preview issue alone sells for $15 and its just a page or two.

Yup, different back cover and much larger than standard comic size. Good memory Tom (thumbs u

I have never owned one of the treasury sized editions, however over the years I remember seeing them sell on Ebay. Typically sold for over $100.00.

I've had over 20 copies of the regular 3-D edition. There is also a 2-D version which is scarce, I do not believe I ever unearthed one of those.

I would say close to 100% of the buyers of this comic are Michael Jackson memorabilia collectors.