• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Not sure about scarcity, but the death of MJ spiked the interest in these. Apparently if one just brought $35 then the interest levels are still up there!

Think I have a beat up copy around here, gotta throw that on Ebay sometime to move it to a new home.

Seeing as the one that sold for $35 was the one I sold, I hope they continue to be at that level. Yay!

Here's an 80s book I suspect few (if any?) of you have seen - would suspect it to be quite rare indeed. Pack in comic sold with some copies of the Golgo 13 NES video game. The VAST majority of the copies of the game did NOT come with the comic. The other way to get the comic was by mail in offer. I suspect when they couldn't sell out their limited print run of the comics by mail in offer, they packed the rest with copies of the game. Dated 1989 and based on a popular manga franchise

---------

per wiki

In 1989 and 1990, LEED and Vic Tokai published two new Golgo 13 comic books, as part of the promotion for two Golgo 13 video games. The comics were released to the US public via a mail-in offer with the purchase of the games and were later even found packaged with the video games. Each issue contained one complete story and had nothing to do with the storylines of the video games themselves.

------------

In 2006, Golgo 13 was brought back by Viz Media as part of the Viz Signature collection. The stories are picked from the forty-year history of the manga, and do not necessarily represent the original's order of publication. A total of thirteen volumes were published, with the thirteenth volume being published on February 19, 2008. Each volume ends with an editorial commentary on Golgo 13 as a cultural phenomenon in Japan.[6]

106950.jpg.6dfadd3263faa0c9b7814119bc4290d7.jpg

106951.jpg.b22cc874b430810d56a5c13042b4905c.jpg

106952.jpg.0227b9ebdaf60edda9352fff01dc85a7.jpg

PS - as the comic says, face it - you've got golgomania bad!

Has to be one of the earliest manga printings in north america as well. Only a few manga like lone wolf & cub, akira and what maybe appleseed? would have pre-dated?

Macross #1 predates them all, Nov. 1984 ;) . And yep, Golgo 13 is difficult to find :insane: . Ive tracked down 3 copies of the polybagged book so far (thumbs u

:eyeroll:

Your collection is a given that you'll have at least 3 of everything.

:baiting:

Macross #1 predates them all, Nov. 1984 ;) . And yep, Golgo 13 is difficult to find :insane: . Ive tracked down 3 copies of the polybagged book so far (thumbs u

what else can you tell me about the book?

also, you mentioned polybagged. you mean polybagged with the game, or were there copies of the comic polybagged solo?

did you purchase your copies relatively recently from dov on ebay (first copies I had personally seen), or elsewhere?

wasn't macross a US produced book though rather than a manga reprint? I don't know, its been so long since I looked at my copy
I haven't read it but I always thought it was real manga. There might have been American sequels though. I always thought Macross was the Japanese Robotech

PS - as the comic says, face it - you've got golgomania bad!

Has to be one of the earliest manga printings in north america as well. Only a few manga like lone wolf & cub, akira and what maybe appleseed? would have pre-dated?

Eclipse was doing a lot of manga during that time.

what else can you tell me about the book?

also, you mentioned polybagged. you mean polybagged with the game, or were there copies of the comic polybagged solo?

did you purchase your copies relatively recently from dov on ebay (first copies I had personally seen), or elsewhere?

About the Golgo? Not much, 2 of my 3 copies are still sealed with the game also. I used to work for Funcoland waaaaaay back in the day. Had first shot at alot of neat merchandise. Sealed games were just a few of the perks I enjoyed. Mind you Nes was pretty much a dead system, but sometimes folks would walk in to trade in their games/systems and occasionaly there would be unopened copies. Right place, right time is all (thumbs u

I also have two of the four amythest variants (there are both direct and newsstand 35 cent variants)

I saw a Amethyst 35 cent variant at the Steel City show this past weekend. It wasn't for sale.

I just picked up one of the Amethyst #1 35 cent price variants in a long box at a local shop for 50 cents. :banana:

Amethyst1NM-35centpricevariant.jpg

I also have two of the four amythest variants (there are both direct and newsstand 35 cent variants)

I saw a Amethyst 35 cent variant at the Steel City show this past weekend. It wasn't for sale.

I just picked up one of the Amethyst #1 35 cent price variants in a long box at a local shop for 50 cents. :banana:

Amethyst1NM-35centpricevariant.jpg

Quite a steal if this is any indication

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amethyst-Princess-Gemworld-1-RARE-35-cent-Variant-/170633015432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba853088

Edited by sl4ppy