• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0.5 Detective #27 recently sold for a mere $2505?

28 posts in this topic

This is semi-old news and I'm sorry if it's already been discussed... I was perusing Detective sales data in GPA and discovered that in April, an 0.5 Tec #27 copy sold for $2,505. What a deal when you consider a coverless 0.5 sold for $8500 four years ago!

Anyone have more details on this sale? Was it sold on eBay, Metro, CL, other?

Very weird. No CGC serial # either, which is usually listed on GPA for recent sales. . And GPA usually lists "coverless" if the book is missing a cover. I can't see anyone who reports to GPA selling a complete Detective 27 for $2500..

I am not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say that this is some sort of error.

Maybe missing a zero? (shrug)

Very possible. Either that or maybe its actually a Detective 37 or something like that. (It doesn't happen often, but I called to get the CGC notes on a really cheap Cap 2 sale listed on GPA last year, and it turned out to be the serial # for a Cap issue in the 20s.) Or maybe it was a scam eBay auction and $2505 was because most people knew it was fake.

These are the scenarios that come to mind. GPA is a great resource. But they list such an overwhelming amount of information its probably next to impossible to keep it 100% accurate.

It must be the copy that sold on ComicConnect a few months ago too. It was coverless and missing the first bunch of wraps, hence the whole Batman story was missing. Also, there was a repro cover around it, so when bidding it wasn't possible to see the book itself. Even with all that I did think the price went awfully low... good opportunity for someone.

It must be the copy that sold on ComicConnect a few months ago too. It was coverless and missing the first bunch of wraps, hence the whole Batman story was missing. Also, there was a repro cover around it, so when bidding it wasn't possible to see the book itself. Even with all that I did think the price went awfully low... good opportunity for someone.
but then it should have been slabbed NG incomplete...

to get a .5, pretty much has to have "most"....unless it was old label slabbed?

but I agree, NO way any complete coverless tec 27 sells for less than 5 figures, so probably just some wraps or something

Rick, you're right -- it was indeed slabbed as an NG and not a .5. Here's the link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=333494

Definitely the book in question. Also missing the centerfold -- I forgot that. :grin:

Rick, you're right -- it was indeed slabbed as an NG and not a .5. Here's the link:

Definitely the book in question. Also missing the centerfold -- I forgot that. :grin:

I saw that book in hand and also know the person that bought it off CC.

It's decent looking because all the missing wraps were recreated but it's definitely a NG book and not a 0.5.

Personally being the Batman fan I am. A Tec 27 missing covers, first 3 wraps (again the entire Batman story) and even the CF is "worthless" or to put it simply not something I would spend 2K on. Maybe around 1K.

Unless of course if someone needed a specific wrap from this severly incomplete issue, then it could be worth ANY sum. (thumbs u

But hell if it had one half page or even a panel from the Batman story I'd be interested into absurd amounts for it. :luhv:

Yeah I'm trying to figure out who would pay for it with the missing Batman pages. What's the point?

Bragging rights I guess. Or you could slab each wrap separately and flip them... and don't think I wasn't tempted. (:

Yeah I'm trying to figure out who would pay for it with the missing Batman pages. What's the point?

Bragging rights I guess. Or you could slab each wrap separately and flip them... and don't think I wasn't tempted. (:

Or it could work for missing parts :shrug:

If you think about how much one single wrap from Action 1 costs, it's not going to be cheap to replace missing wraps from Tec 27 either, so all considering, that might be what was going on.

2c

Though it makes you wonder what wraps will be useful. It's missing the centerfold -- so even if you are replacing wraps in a book missing two wraps at the center -- you will still need the centerfold.