• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing on restored golden age books

39 posts in this topic

Well the nomal calculations is as follows:

Value of Comic in original condition - Fair $2,160 (CPG)

Value of an unrestored Comic in the new condition of your book - F/VF $39,600

Add the two prices together $2,160 + $39,600 = $41,760

Then divide that amount by 2 = $20,880

So theoretically it is worth $20,880 and you could probably expect to get half that amount more or less due to the restoration.

By this I mean that restored books take quite a hit with regards to selling price Vs unrestored books. These are the calculations as I know them so if anyone uses a different method, post it here thumbsup2.gif

The real problem with that calculation is that:

ANYONE could go buy a Fair copy for $2-3K, spend another $1-2K fixing it and for a maximum cost of $5K, and sell it for $10-20K.

I'll quit my day job (and it's really good), if I could do that all day.

My best guess is that

1) To go from a Fair to a FN/VF, it must have had Extensive Restoration.

2) Therefore, a buyer would figure they could buy a low grade copy and have it restored.

3) So maybe $3-5K final sale price.

Just a guess.

I would agree with your assessment that the book won't sell for $10,000, it's just a published calculation and as far as I know only the market can decide what it's worth.

Another thing I factored in was the book itself, which is a holy grail for most. My opinion is it would sell for higher than 3k-5k, just becuase of what it is...if.......it does grade out to a 7.0 and has some reasonable eye appeal.

I don't purchase restored books so you and others would be able to gauge actual sales points better than me.

My personal guess is that it would probably bring somewhere in the 7K range, but it's just a guess. I plan on sending it to CGC in the near future and their judgement on the extent of the restoration will probably have a significant effect on the value. When Matt did his evaluation of my book he classified the restoration as moderate. When I originally sent it to CGC before the resto, the grader I talked to said that the amount of work required to repair the book would probably be on the moderate/extensive borderline so I guess I'll just have to wait and see! confused-smiley-013.gif

Very sharp! If it were mine I'd have a hard time parting with it. MF52 has long been the only DC GA super-key that I've coveted, but even a low grade copy would blow my comic budget for a couple of years.