• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing on restored golden age books

39 posts in this topic

Book looks great.

To me, the value of the book should be:

The cost to buy a low grade copy

Plus the cost of Restoration.

No more and No less.

That doesn't mean you won't get more or less. It just means that if it was easy to buy a low grade copy and then restore it and make significantly more money than the cost plus restoration cost, MATT WILSON would never restore anyone else books. He would just buy low grade copies and restore them and sell them for huge profits.

Obviously the eventual sale price could / should increase as the cost of a low grade copy price increases. And as restoration charges increase, that would also factor into any increase in price.

I am one of the odd-balls that will actually buy restored books. Your copy of More Fun 52 looks great post restoration. My guess is it would be extensive because of all the pieces replaced, but not bad at all. I would definitely keep the scan before restoration because it would let a potential buyer see what was done. Price is had to say.

Restored books are a good value in my opinion. I will have roughly $3,600 in this More Fun #52 between the price I paid for the book originally, what I paid for the restoration, and CGC grading fees. Given that the book in F/VF books around $40,000 I think it's certainly a resonable alternative for those of us that don't have that kind of cash to drop on a comic book. I'm still not sure what CGC will grade the extent of the resto as though. I think it could still classify as moderate, but it probably will be a borderline call. My predection is a final grade of F/VF with extensive resto, but I'm hoping I get the favorable call and it ends up a moderate. I hope to get it in the mail to CGC tomorrow and I'm gonna shell out the money for the walkthrough service so as soon as I have a grade I'll post it on here.

If you want opinions I'll give you mine. I have no clue what others will pay for a FVF More Fun 52. You might come accross a person who is new to the hobby and will pay 1/2 guide, etc. Here is my policy.

I will pay 1/5 to 1/7 th of guide for an EXT restored book. IN this case I'll be generous and average the F and VF price and come out with an unrestored =27000

Using my formula -the price I would pay is $3800-5400.

To check the range, I will take a FVF price and take it down two and a half grades. In my thinking one grade would be a vgf, a second grade is a gvg, and a half grade is a good. The maximum I would pay is an unrestored good. In this case $5200.

With my rambling above, If I was interested, I would probably around $4600 for the book. I am constantly reading forecasts, opinions, watching what I believe to be phony auctions, etc, of restored books to determine if the price is changing. I will change my pricing model when I no longer can buy books within my formula.

I doubt you will have trouble getting great deals on restored books Market for them right now is pretty soft. I like to buy restored books when its something very minor like a tear seal, something that could always be removed. Rebuilt project books with major work like piece replacement or reassembly and major inpainting arent my cup but they are a vfery affordable way to have a fantastic looking display of a major book for those of us who cannot compete with all the BSD's running around, lol Its a nice book in any case and being as scarce as it is in any grade would be cool to have.

I'd say it will come back extensive resto $4000-5000 sounds right although you just never know with all this cash flying around lately

news.gif You are correct. I just got the grade on it today and the official grade was a CGC 5.0 Extensive (P) with OFF WHITE/WHITE page quality.

Yow - how do they figure that as a 5.0 ? Looks like a 7.0 or even better from the scan... can you post a bigger scan, and/or the graders' notes?

When I called CGC today to see what grade it got and they told me it only got a 5.0 I was shocked. I asked to speak to a grader about it and apparently the main reason it got a 5.0 was because the advertisements on the interior of the cover weren't recreated when the pieces were added. Apparently restored books are graded the same as if they were unrestored and if the interior ads aren't recreated, it counts as a defect on the same level as if the book was unrestored and the ads were missing due to wear. I guess if I want a higher grade, I guess I will have to have those interior ads fixed.

"

When I called CGC today to see what grade it got and they told me it only got a 5.0 I was shocked. I asked to speak to a grader about it and apparently the main reason it got a 5.0 was because the advertisements on the interior of the cover weren't recreated when the pieces were added. Apparently restored books are graded the same as if they were unrestored and if the interior ads aren't recreated, it counts as a defect on the same level as if the book was unrestored and the ads were missing due to wear. I guess if I want a higher grade, I guess I will have to have those interior ads fixed. "

If that's true then I have a question for the board:

What if Doug removes the book from the CGC holder, offers the book on E-bay with a 7.0 restored grade (the boards consensus?) and offers the buyer a money back refund if not satisfied? I can only assume that since there is no "grading authority" this would be OK?

It's a complicated world out there. I don't have the answers , only the questions.

I

There's no worry of that happening. I agree with their 5.0 based on the explanation I recieved when I called CGC. If they are grading the interior cover ads that weren't replaced the same as if the book was unrestored with the ads missing due to wear, I could see how it would drop that low. My obvious solution is to have the remaning issues with the book taken care of, resubmit the book, and then see how it grades out.

Yow - how do they figure that as a 5.0 ? Looks like a 7.0 or even better from the scan... can you post a bigger scan, and/or the graders' notes?

Here's a scan of the book in the holder. The grader's notes read as follows: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cover cleaned, interior lightened, reinforced, with OFF WHITE to WHITE pages.

415253-morefun52.jpg.3fd68e0aed279f6a835c332922f54355.jpg

That's a really nice book, and the pages look like they're beautiful.

Thanks! I'd say the pages are one of the nicest things about the book. They are almost as white as if the book came straight off the rack. I guess it's a good thing that I read it before I got it graded!