• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Marvel Western Pedigree Books & Demand

54 posts in this topic

There seem to be very very few westerns in any of the big pedigree collections.

To the best of my knowledge, only the Boston and Massachusetts collections really had any of the early 60's books. Nothing from White Mountain, Curator, Northland, Western Penn, Pacific Coast, etc. I think Bethlehem had a few but no killer copies.

Am I wrong, or were they there and they've disappeared into collections? If they have, no one's had any of their books slabbed.

If you go purely by the Census numbers, the early Marvel westerns are the rarest of all the Silver Age books. (Some might say romance, but that's another topic for another time.)

One could argue that there isn't a big demand for the books therefore people haven't bothered to invest in slabbing. However, if someone had 9.4 books from 1960-1963, I doubt they've just sat on them all these years.

CGC has been around, what, ten years(?) and if you look at the Census there isn't squat when it comes to high grade western. Barely any. I'm sure there are a bunch of books lurking out there but they're clearly not from pedigree collections and they're not nearly in the numbers we see with superheroes.

WHERE ARE THEY???

Considering how complete and eclectic the Western Penn and PC collections are, it'd be pretty surprising if there were no Westerns in there. In the case of Western Penn, it's possible that they were sold and broken up before the collection was really recognized as a pedigree, and thus they exist but no one knows that they're Western Penns because very few Western Penns have distinguishing marks.

One could argue that there isn't a big demand for the books therefore people haven't bothered to invest in slabbing. However, if someone had 9.4 books from 1960-1963, I doubt they've just sat on them all these years.

WHERE ARE THEY???

If they exist they are locked up in collections and I would not think it is at all uncommon that they have not been slabbed. Check out the current Heritage auction. The Tec 27 has only been owned by two people, never until now been out of the state of Hawaii, and been in the current owner's hands since 1974.

The flippers and dealers are the most visible lot in comics but I would say the greater percentage of collectors buy a gem and don't let go of it except in the direst of circumstances.

When Robert Roter listed the Pacific Coast comics prior to the advent of CGC, I don't recall any Westerns being represented. I suspect they simply weren't in the collection.

The flippers and dealers are the most visible lot in comics but I would say the greater percentage of collectors buy a gem and don't let go of it except in the direst of circumstances.

I think this is probably quite true.

Additionally, I am sure most collectors had their books thrown out as kids -- but a collector who really treasured their books, and treated them with kid gloves, might just as easily stored their collection away carefully -- to revisit later in life.

When Robert Roter listed the Pacific Coast comics prior to the advent of CGC, I don't recall any Westerns being represented. I suspect they simply weren't in the collection.

But he didn't list everything that's in the PC collection.

There are so many esoteric books in the PC collection, of different publishers as well as different genres, that it would be really surprising if the OO didn't buy them. Having said that, I've never seen a PC Duck book, so maybe the OO didn't buy EVERYTHING and didn't like westerns, even from the big 2 publishers.

Considering how complete and eclectic the Western Penn and PC collections are, it'd be pretty surprising if there were no Westerns in there. In the case of Western Penn, it's possible that they were sold and broken up before the collection was really recognized as a pedigree, and thus they exist but no one knows that they're Western Penns because very few Western Penns have distinguishing marks.

I think this sums it up.

Circle 8 stops in the late 50's so there aren't any "Marvel" ones. As for the other two, I'm not familiar enough with them to say one way or the other.
This is not correct. The Circle 8 collection runs from '55 - '72. While its not a true pedigree, it still produced some very sweet books, and i know ive seen marvel westerns from it. So be on the lookout. (thumbs u

The Circle 8 collection runs from '55 - '72. (thumbs u

Wow, I've never seen a single book later than the late 1950's.

Sorry i dont have a better pic, but you can see a '72 C8 in this old pic:

DSC_0300.jpg

Hey HooDeeDoo ! :hi:

WBTTB !

Good to see you collecting again. (thumbs u

Didn't know that was HooDeeDoo's real name!

One of my favorite posters from my early days on the boards!

WBTTB!