• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sacramento-area meet-up?

37 posts in this topic

Did anyone make it? I went with my son from about 3:15 to 4:15 and it was a ghost town. I did enjoy the lack of crowds, but I don't know how the dealers felt. Had a good conversation with Brian from A-1 since I spent about 3 hours in his store last night while my son played in his first Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.

I walked away empty handed, nothing caught my eye.

Any other experiences?

I spent $11. It turned out that there was an anime convention at a nearby hotel, which sucked all the life from Sac Con (along with the holiday weekend, I suspect). Steve Wyatt had some new stuff, but nothing I found terribly interesting. Bud Plant has some great low grade books, but I've seen them at three different shows now. And Brian? Well, he's my LCS, so I can buy from him anytime.

I ended up getting a reprint of Planet Comics #1 and some late 1990s FFs from a dollar box.

I was at the restaurant with my girlfriend and her son. Either no one else showed up or we crossed paths, but the son and I had a great time talking baseball while watching the Dodgers/Giants game on the restaurant's TV.

Does anybody know if he plans on doing the same format for the next Sac Con (Anime the same day at a different venue)?

It would be interesting to see the interest in mostly comic book show in the Sacramento area without the holiday weekend throwing a wrench in the works.

I was there.. I hung out at Harvey Doss' table (which was kitty-corner from A-1's) ... I was there from about 10am - 1pm and from what I hear the conflicting Anime show really hurt the crowd.. what a stupid thing to do... over-all though it seemed pretty cool to me...

I was at the show for a couple hours in the morning. There didn't appear to be much of a crowd, and from the sound of it, things didn't pick up. I think a few months back the Sac-Con was scheduled the same day as the Anime show with a similar result. Even though I had to cut out early to get to work, I still managed to pick up some decent buys. Unfortunately, this show seems to be getting smaller and smaller each time with less dealers actually showing up.

1) I thought it was one year ago exactly that the big anime show was a conflict and they almost canceled the quarterly Sac-Con, only to turn the running of it over to Steve for that day? So I think this is now an annual conflict.

2) I think if you go later than 3:00 pm it's always going to look much more ghost-townish. When I do these little shows I often have almost no customers the last hour or two. It's generally okay through 2 pm.

3) I was hearing the opposite about this show. Ron Murry and others told me the show was picking up for some reason. I was told that the March show was the best one in years, for instance.

:banana:

Harvey Doss here abotu Sac-Con... Had 2 tables and had a freaking blast. Last Sac Con I made about $1300 this one about $400 but I like the crowd and most of the dealers, lol... Last time I brang almost a full run of spidey/x-men/etc... Lot's of main stream and some high grade goldens 9.8 cgc blah blah blah... Guess what I sold $1300 worth of $1 books, Underground and this is the best part Joe Palookas... Since then I stoperd bringing andy high ticket items but the show was fun and I will be back in december same spot... Hope to see you all there.... :troll:

1) I thought it was one year ago exactly that the big anime show was a conflict and they almost canceled the quarterly Sac-Con, only to turn the running of it over to Steve for that day? So I think this is now an annual conflict.

2) I think if you go later than 3:00 pm it's always going to look much more ghost-townish. When I do these little shows I often have almost no customers the last hour or two. It's generally okay through 2 pm.

3) I was hearing the opposite about this show. Ron Murry and others told me the show was picking up for some reason. I was told that the March show was the best one in years, for instance.

Steve Wyatt? I bet he could do a good job on Sac-Con.

Despite my complaints, I'll probably be back in December since the con is so close to me. If there's no anime show and it's not on a holiday weekend, I suspect it will be better.

Steve Wyatt? I bet he could do a good job on Sac-Con.

Despite my complaints, I'll probably be back in December since the con is so close to me. If there's no anime show and it's not on a holiday weekend, I suspect it will be better.

Actually, you probably didn't know this, but Steve Wyatt already basically helps run the Sac-Con when Dan isn't around.

So he managed the Setup Process in the morning while Dan was doing Sac-Anime.

I kind of liked the "ghost town" atmosphere, although I know it's not that great for sales. The previous Sac Con I attended earlier in the year was packed, you could hardly move. I'll try to make the December show and stop by and introduce myself.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the A-1 comics sale this Saturday, I will be at a reunion in downtown Sac. My son is hoping to talk my Dad into taking him though! I spent about 3 hours in the Roseville store last Saturday night while my 11 year old played in his first Yu-Gi-Oh tournament. As much as I like the store, I need a break.

Deucedriver - seriously? Are you the guy that fouls the pinatas, punchbowls and pools?

Engineer on the Poo-choo train?

Deucedriver - seriously? Are you the guy that fouls the pinatas, punchbowls and pools?

Engineer on the Poo-choo train?

I have no idea what that means.

The reunion is for the 55th anniversary of the Lockheed U-2, I flew it from 1995-2001.

That's great! :thumbsup:

Sorry - Deuce can have a different meaning these days, so your user name may elicit some giggles.