• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any reports from the Overstreet Panel?

25 posts in this topic

I've seen some speculation here over the past couple months that there might be a big announcement regarding the Guide coming out of SDCC, but I haven't heard much about this from the show. Although I gather from this brief report that a hoped-for online-guide-service announcement didn't happen.

I see Steve Borock was on the panel, anybody else there? Anything to report? Any good stories told of the Guide's history? :)

Well, a number of problems with the article--typos and the fact Steve is with Heritage now, not CGC. Plus, I'd almost argue that the guide on books OVER 20 years old is a little sketchy as well.

Still, interesting question posed by Chuck. Too bad his pricing model is :insane: All the same, I can't imagine that my depressing the value of a book. But I guess the writer can't go wrong with ending on the note that nearly all collectors already know and accept--it's a guide, not a bible.

I did not realize that so much research every year went into updating the Ostreet articles especially about variant editions.

Was shocked to see Gary Carter at SDCC, as I have not seen him there in about 6 years. Managed to get Overstreet, Maggie Thompson (Cbg) and Gary Carter (writer/editor of Comic Book Marketplace zine mag) sigs on my variant Ostreet #40 limited to 500 copies.

EsquireComics Zaid borrowed my Ostreet to show Carter his full page ad at the end of the Ostreet tribute panel.

In the description for the panel, it was described as "celebrate the history and impact of the OPG", and that's primarily what the panel was about--reminiscing. Some of the topics were things like what was your favorite cover, which edition of the guide was your first, how creating the first edition of the guide was a really difficult, ground-breaking effort, etc.

More discussion of the current guide came from Q&A. Chuck raised the point that when the guide keeps prices low rather than following upward price movements it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy: if something starts at $3.99, gets hot and jumps to $20, but the guide keeps it at $3.99 the next year, it discourages buyers and makes them feel bad about their $20 purchase, and that erodes demand and pushes prices back down toward the lower level. There were two responses to that: that the guide doesn't want to get caught up in fads and bump prices that aren't part of a longer term sustainable trend; and that the guide is only as good as the data they get.

I did not realize that so much research every year went into updating the Ostreet articles especially about variant editions.

Was shocked to see Gary Carter at SDCC, as I have not seen him there in about 6 years. Managed to get Overstreet, Maggie Thompson (Cbg) and Gary Carter (writer/editor of Comic Book Marketplace zine mag) sigs on my variant Ostreet #40 limited to 500 copies.

EsquireComics Zaid borrowed my Ostreet to show Carter his full page ad at the end of the Ostreet tribute panel.

I'd love to see Gary Carter revive CBM.

In the description for the panel, it was described as "celebrate the history and impact of the OPG", and that's primarily what the panel was about--reminiscing. Some of the topics were things like what was your favorite cover, which edition of the guide was your first, how creating the first edition of the guide was a really difficult, ground-breaking effort, etc.

More discussion of the current guide came from Q&A. Chuck raised the point that when the guide keeps prices low rather than following upward price movements it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy: if something starts at $3.99, gets hot and jumps to $20, but the guide keeps it at $3.99 the next year, it discourages buyers and makes them feel bad about their $20 purchase, and that erodes demand and pushes prices back down toward the lower level. There were two responses to that: that the guide doesn't want to get caught up in fads and bump prices that aren't part of a longer term sustainable trend; and that the guide is only as good as the data they get.

Sounds like my broker ...

This Gary Carter?

gary_carter_autograph.jpg

This Gary Carter?

gary_carter_autograph.jpg

:signfunny:

Bob stopped by my Booth Sunday and we chatted for about an hour...wonderful man and tremendous asset to the hobby

I know I've been really hard on the Overstreet organization with some of my comments about pricing and it was basically about the Guide's inability to adapt to meet the standards that it's contemporaries have met but I do have to agree that what he has accomplished over the past 40 years is no small thing.

He's rallied people together and brought about a uniform pricing structure during a time when it would seem to be almost impossible with no internet or cel phones. It's just an incredible accomplishment...and that is only the OSPG.

There are many other positive influences that Bob is recognized for.

(thumbs u

After buying the Beckett baseball card price guide and other price guides from the other hobbies I now realize Overstreet is by far the best, I didn`t know how good the Overstreet was till I tried the other hobbies guides.I hope it stays around. (thumbs u

that the guide doesn't want to get caught up in fads and bump prices that aren't part of a longer term sustainable trend; and that the guide is only as good as the data they get.

Interesting and thanks for posting. I can understand the first part, but they go too far in that direction, IMO. Too conservative. I don't really buy the data part, I think they get plenty of data on hot issues.

Btw Conan, your Lone Star listings in the new OPG shop directory give your address as www.mycomicshop.com/overstreet but that page doesn't seem to exist. Not sure if it was a mistake but regardless, it's in the guide forever now so you might want to put something on that page.

Bob stopped by my Booth Sunday and we chatted for about an hour...wonderful man and tremendous asset to the hobby

I know I've been really hard on the Overstreet organization with some of my comments about pricing and it was basically about the Guide's inability to adapt to meet the standards that it's contemporaries have met but I do have to agree that what he has accomplished over the past 40 years is no small thing.

He's rallied people together and brought about a uniform pricing structure during a time when it would seem to be almost impossible with no internet or cel phones. It's just an incredible accomplishment...and that is only the OSPG.

There are many other positive influences that Bob is recognized for.

(thumbs u

Bob loves the hobby and IMO, introduced it to the first media outlet....the Overstreet.

(worship)

I didn't know that was you!!! doh!

You should have introduced yourself! :makepoint::slapfight:

Well, I did appreciate borrowing your book!!! (thumbs u

That was actually the first time I've ever met Gary. :gossip: I showed him the CBCA ad on page 11 as we featured a quote from him. :applause:

Anyone know why Bob Overstreet was in the audience and not on the panel?

While a very friendly and talkative guy when you know him and in private, he is not one who likes to speak on panels. He did do an autograph session at the Diamond booth and I was fortunate enough to catch up with him and his wife a couple of times during the Con. Lovely people. Bob and I used to make sure we had lunch every year over the last few years but he unfortunately fled Maryland for his home turf.

It was quite funny, however, when one person in the audience made the comment that "it seems strange talking about Bob and all the great things he's done as if he's dead when he is sitting right here in the audience!" lol

Btw Conan, your Lone Star listings in the new OPG shop directory give your address as www.mycomicshop.com/overstreet but that page doesn't seem to exist. Not sure if it was a mistake but regardless, it's in the guide forever now so you might want to put something on that page.

Thank you very much. Fixed.