• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever get back "the one that got away?"

43 posts in this topic

Hey all,

A few years ago I sold this book to cover a few bills...and regretted it with a passion. Its one of my favorite Schomburg airbrush covers and I always wanted to get another copy. Don't let the scan fool you; the colors on this book are outrageously bright and vivid. Last week, the gentleman who bought it from me (a Forum member I believe), put it back up for sale. And now its going to a loving home: mine.

So, my question is...have you had occasion to buy back a book you regretted selling? And if not, is there still a book out there somewhere you wish you had back?

For some idiotic reason, I sold my Amazing Mystery Funnies v2#5 about 10 years ago. It was a very distinctive copy and easy to recognize. I started agonizing over ever finding another copy as nice - until I ran into a guy who actually had the same copy. We negotiated a trade, and it now sits lovingly smothered in mylar in my collection.

I've sold a lot of neat books, but really only regretted selling this one. About a year after I sold it, the buyer emailed me and said he was thinking about selling his collection. He bought a bunch of nice DC's off me and I said I was interested, "...and BTW do you still have that DC-4?". Bought it back for the crazy price I sold it for, and to date it's the only book he's sold me!! I need to bug him about getting the rest...

dc4small.jpg

That's an awesome cover Mike. Beautiful book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for the books I told you about..the guy's DCs were subpar, and not nearly as nice as I had hoped (and he didn't have anything on your list anyway...sorry). I'm glad to have gotten what I did, but I was hoping for more. BTW, are you attending Mega-Con?

Well, thanks anyway! I wish I was going this year, but it doesn't line up with the kids' Spring Break...we'll be in Florida for a week in October (G-ville/Orlando), perhaps around the 4th of July (Clearwater), and who knows when else?

Those Schomburg Thrilling Comics covers are intoxicating! cloud9.gif I might have to start looking for those. Some of the Seven Seas good girl covers are great as well.I've never sold any books and I'm not sure how intentionally selling something is letting it "get away" unless you were under threat of debtors or medical expenses or something, but I have let books go that I saw for sale and later purchased them from the people who bought them before me.

A few years ago, a CGC VF+ copy of FF #8 popped up on ebay and was almost immediately "buy-it-now" purchased by ebay user "leeboy." I wasn't as interested in the #8 as I was in the CGC 9.0 copy of #7 he mentioned in the listing for #8 he would be listing over the next week! I contacted him to buy it directly, and he said he had sold it to leeboy privately along with the #8. shocked.gifshocked.gifmad.giffrown.gif Well, about six months later, leeboy sold it to me. cloud9.gif ff7_small.jpg

Click for larger image

ff10_small.jpg

Click for larger image

I was a bit cash-strapped in 2002 and was unable to buy this book which was won by forum member and ebay user Drummy. To my great delight, he sold it to me privately about nine months later...it's the nicest copy of this issue I've ever seen for sale! cloud9.gif Without the slightly sunken staples, it would easily be a 9.6, yet the staples don't detract from the front-cover appearance at all.In 2002 Hoodeedoo bought this FF #86 from e-bay, and I always regretted not trying to win it because it is the most perfect copy of this issue I've ever seen for public sale. We all know Mark sold everything recently, and when he did, I got a second crack at it. cloud9.gifff86_small.jpg

Click for larger image

James just posted my "one that got away" - FF #10 9.2 wp - and unfortunately I don't think he's going to return the favor! grin.gifdevil.gif

As many others here have reported, I have changed my collecting focus several times in the six years I've been back into comics. I was collecting Marvel Silver Age "classic covers" in HG for about a year, and to fund some of my purchases I sold off this FF #10 (a cover I don't particularly care for).

Now I'm back - full throttle - into high grade FF's. I have 7-9 and 11, so #10 is making a big hole for me. FF, call me first if you ever sell!

In the meantime, I'm on the hunt again... sorry.gif

Dan

As an aside, I bought an original art page from Miller's Dark Knight Returns (Book 3) in 1986 from Albert Moy who was handling Miller's/Janson's art from the series. Had it hanging in my college room for a few years and then for some ridiculous reason (i.e. beer money, books, etc), I sold it. I got back into collecting artwork 4 years ago and have been unable to track it's current owner. Of course, the page is now worth a small fortune but I still hold out hope for a reunion some day. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Back when I was a kid, around 1973, we used to go to a local mall that had a little comic place set up in the middle. Consisted of about 10 or 15 beat up old showcases full of cool old comics. We went by about once a month & mom let us spend a buck or two & get a stack of comics. He had a Silver Surfer #1 that was about 3 or 4 dollars & my mom had agreed to take me up to get it the next week for my birthday. When we went, the place had closed down. Very very upset. Years later, early 80's, I came across another copy of Silver Surfer #1 & was amazed at the price increase & pretty po'd that I hadn't got it years ago.

Fast forward to 1995. I see an ad in the paper selling some comics & call them up. The guy has some interesting stuff so I go over & check it out. There were stacks of early 70s inventory, 50 plus copies of some of the hot stuff back then. Get to talking to the guy & he says his dad used to have a setup at Wonderland Mall & that when he shut down in the early 70's the books had just sat in a spare room for the last 20 years. It was an amazingly nostalgic feeling going through that collection & remembering running through that Mall as a kid getting my comic fix.

That said, I have no idea whether this is the exact copy I wanted as a child, as there were 3 copies in the collection. But I've convinced myself it was...

ss1a.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #14. It was my favorite comic when I was a kid. I bought it as a back issue in 1983 for $12 in VG. I had been drooling over it for six months as it sat on the wall of my local comics store near where I grew up. I finally went in one day with enough money (which I earned mowing lawns) and bought it. I sold it, along with the bulk of my collection, when I moved to SF for law school in 1994.

I just bought it back last year as a CGC VF+ 8.5. I know I will sound like a total dork saying this, but I nearly wept with joy on the day it arrived. cloud9.gif