• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shang Hi-ed to San Diego!

42 posts in this topic

I've just got to tell this story here. Please indulge me.

Last Tuesday morning, after our early paper route and as I was mentally preparing for my real job later that day, my wife Karen told me we had to take her friend Vicky to the airport. Vicky hates to fly, and it would take both of us to get her on the plane. So there I was, hanging back from the check-in counter, as per Karen's instructions. (At 6:30 AM I don't think, I just obey) She waves me up, and I show my ID. She then turns to me and says, "Ready to go on vacation?" She was serious, to my astonishment, and an hour or so later, We were winging our way to our first ever San Diego ComicCon.

My bride had spent the last ten months preparing that surprise. I was pole-axed. I was completely flabbergasted. She had thought of everything. Vicky's bags were of course filled with our stuff. Almost everyone I knew was in on it. She arranged everything with my work well in advance, and then had to do it all over again with a new store because I changed jobs. Nobody leaked a clue. She had back ups in place for unanticipated variables. The details are too meticulous to cite here, just believe me when I say she's good, folks.

At the con, we saw everything we wanted to see, and it's all amazing. I got some good stuff bought, too. Harley sold me a Boy Commandos #2, J. Graham a #3, Superworld dug up a nice JIM #52 for me (!), and I think the National #16 came from Dan Fogel's booth.

A really great time, and, considering that she doesn't like comics herself, an even better wife.

Just a wonderful story. You have obviously taken good care of her for her to want to do something like this for you.

Congrats!

Only wish I'd met you guys there.

:headbang:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I feel really lucky.

Getting down to business, Karen will be conducting a comic-wife's seminar. All are welcome to attend, and the cost is a mere $500 a person. Sign your wife up now!

We've got to re-coup that cost somehow.

(kidding, of course!)