• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 70's books...

65 posts in this topic

I've been looking for these two Fireside books for at least 10 years:

Marvel Superheroes Cook Book Hardcover

Mysteries in Space Hardcover

I have never seen either one (I have the rest of the Fireside set), but have heard from people that they have seen them, and that they do exist.

I would pay well for a copy of either one.

Tim

^^Here's the cookbook ^^

I do not believe the Mysteries in Space book was ever released in HC. You should be able to check by the ISBN.

MYSTERIES in SPACE (ISBN: 0671247751 / 0-671-24775-1)

USLAN, MICHAEL (editor & introduction) : FOX, GARDNER : BINDER, OTTO

Bookseller: OUTSIDER ENTERPRISES (Brockville, ON, Canada)

Bookseller Rating: 5-star rating

Quantity Available: 1

Book Description: FIRESIDE : SIMON and SHUSTER, New York, 1980. Trade Paperback. Book Condition: Very Fine. FINLAY, VIRGIL : FRAZETTA, FRANK : ANDERSON, MURPHY (illustrator). First Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Trade Paperback - 1st. edition - VF - Never released in hardcover - Over 250 pages - Uslan brings us an incredible collection of Science Fiction tales from the DC archives - Meet The Atomic Knights, Adam Strange, Tommy Tomorrow, Captain Comet, John Jonzz, and The Space Ranger - Encounter strange aliens - Includes Bibliography and Checklist. Bookseller Inventory # 2489

I've been looking for these two Fireside books for at least 10 years:

Marvel Superheroes Cook Book Hardcover

Mysteries in Space Hardcover

I have never seen either one (I have the rest of the Fireside set), but have heard from people that they have seen them, and that they do exist.

I would pay well for a copy of either one.

Tim

^^Here's the cookbook ^^

I do not believe the Mysteries in Space book was ever released in HC. You should be able to check by the ISBN.

MYSTERIES in SPACE (ISBN: 0671247751 / 0-671-24775-1)

USLAN, MICHAEL (editor & introduction) : FOX, GARDNER : BINDER, OTTO

Bookseller: OUTSIDER ENTERPRISES (Brockville, ON, Canada)

Bookseller Rating: 5-star rating

Quantity Available: 1

Book Description: FIRESIDE : SIMON and SHUSTER, New York, 1980. Trade Paperback. Book Condition: Very Fine. FINLAY, VIRGIL : FRAZETTA, FRANK : ANDERSON, MURPHY (illustrator). First Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Trade Paperback - 1st. edition - VF - Never released in hardcover - Over 250 pages - Uslan brings us an incredible collection of Science Fiction tales from the DC archives - Meet The Atomic Knights, Adam Strange, Tommy Tomorrow, Captain Comet, John Jonzz, and The Space Ranger - Encounter strange aliens - Includes Bibliography and Checklist. Bookseller Inventory # 2489

Thanks so much Donut!

I'm going to order it and hope the buyer knows the difference between a hardcover and a paperback with a thick card stock cover.

In any case, I really appreciate you doing a search for these books. I rarely visit abe any more - I guess I should start. Thanks.

Tim

I'd love to hear what Doug Sulipa could add to this conversation. That guy seems to be in the know of all the oddball 70's books. Right down to print counts etc.

Have to admit this is a great thread (and the 80's version), learning lots from you pro's.

These two with the Big Jim one hardly ever seen , I had the Big Jim one when I was a kid, Dr. Steel was my favorite action figure.

EvelKnievelSpecial.JPG

bigjimcover.jpg

The Big Jim one is hard to find. I have been looking for one for awhile. Maybe someone can help me...Does Big Jim mini comic...have anything to do with Marvel Comics...I used to think it did. Was it published by them or anything?

hm

This thread doesn't seem to have as much traction as the 80's thread...are there just not as many uber rares in the 70's, or do fewer people know about them...?

So many of the 80's books were manufactured rare, that just wasn't a factor in the 70's. Plus some of the white whales have been proven not to exist a la the Laurel and Hardy Digest.

hm

This thread doesn't seem to have as much traction as the 80's thread...are there just not as many uber rares in the 70's, or do fewer people know about them...?

I think mostly fewer rare books. If you look at your Copper thread, a glance lends one to believe a lot of the tough to find books are from Indy (non-Marvel, DC) publishers, which were fewer in the '70s compared to the '80s.

hm

I think people are just not talking about them because we are actually looking for them. :baiting:

hm

I think people are just not talking about them because we are actually looking for them. :baiting:

BINGO!

hm

BINGO!

:acclaim:

Since this was such a smash success in Copper, let's try it in Bronze.

GRADE ASIDE, what are the rarest books that exist from the 1970's?

I'll start:

Cancelled Comic Cavalcade (35 genuine copies)

Ok...GO!

I am working on cornering the market. I own 6% of all copies! :acclaim:

Cancelled.jpg

Since this was such a smash success in Copper, let's try it in Bronze.

GRADE ASIDE, what are the rarest books that exist from the 1970's?

I'll start:

Cancelled Comic Cavalcade (35 genuine copies)

Ok...GO!

I am working on cornering the market. I own 6% of all copies! :acclaim:

Cancelled.jpg

:cloud9:

The only copy I have ever held was just that, a copy. I think it had a light blue, sort of photostatic cover on it, and that page was underneath.

The only copy I have ever held was just that, a copy. I think it had a light blue, sort of photostatic cover on it, and that page was underneath.

The originals do have a light blue cover actually.

The biggest problem with these, of course, is ensuring you have an original rather than a copy. There is often someone on ebay selling advertised photocopies for about $15.00.

I keep telling my friends at DC that, notwithstanding that each of these books were canceled for a reason, because of the cultural mystique they have developed as a result of these 35 copies being printed they should issue them now as a new limited edition title "Canceled Cavalcade". Probably would sell better than had they been issued back in day as intended! lol

:o Is there a clear-cut way to tell an original, for example, by the type of binding?

shouldn't there be something from Red Circle or one of those 39 cent christian comics (they did some archies) that was some sort of misfire and only a few hundred copies came out or are all of those subject to a palette being found later on in some warehouse?

:o Is there a clear-cut way to tell an original, for example, by the type of binding?

I'm honestly not sure. I've never seen the copies.

I certainly hope so!

:o

I certainly hope so!

I would hope so too.

Maybe you have seen the copies and do not realize it :o:baiting:

:o

I certainly hope so!

I would hope so too.

Maybe you have seen the copies and do not realize it :o:baiting:

Then Heritage would be in a LOT of trouble. ;)