• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

To me, it's all about getting what i want at a good deal...no matter where i can find it.  I like the deals I get on ebay, but I like making deals with collectors or stores more...MY LCS will sell me any issue of Mad over 250 for $1 when he has issues i want.  but yeah, it seems to be tougher to get those deals these days. 

As stated before, if you want to see my meager collection...here's the link...this is only the comics and magazines...no annuals or paperbacks...I still can't find where i put my paperbacks...and I have all the first ones from the 50s...somewhere...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157656495032524

Tricolor are there any special issues or keys for Mad magazines that have a premium besides the early issues⁉️

That you are aware of⁉️

On 1/14/2018 at 10:24 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Tricolor are there any special issues or keys for Mad magazines that have a premium besides the early issues⁉️

That you are aware of⁉️

Weird thing about mad is that there are no Key issues other than the original comics and the MAgazines up to #30 in my opinion.   Yeah there are the first appearances of the fold-in, spy-vs-spy, or the mad marginal, but they don't bring in any sort of premium.

What is hard to find are the magazines where the fold-ins are not folded and  The super special issues with the inserts intact..   Other than that, there are many other items (promos and premiums) that were offered through the magazine that are more collectible than the magazines themselves.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:04 AM, Phantalien said:

Weird thing about mad is that there are no Key issues other than the original comics and the MAgazines up to #30 in my opinion.   Yeah there are the first appearances of the fold-in, spy-vs-spy, or the mad marginal, but they don't bring in any sort of premium.

What is hard to find are the magazines where the fold-ins are not folded and  The super special issues with the inserts intact..   Other than that, there are many other items (promos and premiums) that were offered through the magazine that are more collectible than the magazines themselves.

This one brings a slight premium in the guide... lol

22635105133_20b5b11e30_c.jpg

37 minutes ago, spadfa said:

Hi All,

Just thought I would let those interested know that I have a youtube channel for Mad Magazine collectibles. I have lots of new videos coming. Subscribe if you like.

I refuse to even think about looking at your youtube channel because you use the term "super rare"

Edited by Phantalien

20 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I refuse to even think about looking at your youtube channel because you use the term "super rare"

Is that some sort of comic faux pas? The stuff I labelled that is pretty damn rare. I have to promote it somehow.

Edited by spadfa

On 1/20/2018 at 8:09 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I never knew the Mad middle finger issue had a premium,?

Well, it doesn't actually have a premium in the guide, but it does go for more than guide...and I would say a high grade copy of #59 should go for more than guide too.  #89 and 90 both have a small premium in the guide, as well as #60...

20922645534_c958dd5179_c.jpg

22235765546_05a995c0db_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 1/18/2018 at 4:52 AM, spadfa said:

Is that some sort of comic faux pas? The stuff I labelled that is pretty damn rare. I have to promote it somehow.

Color me surprised.  I thought you were just a person who was just going to spam the forum for a few posts advertising something and then go on your merry way.  Welcome to the boards and sorry to troll you so hard.

Everything is "super" these days.  Super foods like kale have just been discovered to be super healthy for you.  You know instead of saying that kale is healthier for us.  When the moon is really close to earth it is a super moon, as if people in scientific community couldn't come up with something better.

Are they super rare?   Can you quantify what make something rare and super rare?   Is super rare another way of saying one of  kind?  Then use that.  Maybe highly sought after could possibly work or maybe even unique.  Hard to find gives people an inkling that it could be done.   The main thing (despite my utter contempt for the word super) is there are better words to share  thoughts and ideas.