• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The August 2010 Heritage results thread....

428 posts in this topic

Where does this book stand in the pantheon of DC Golden Age. It seems like More Fun and Adventure are undervalued significantly when talking about historical importance but they don't seem to have the juice with collectors.

Historical significance only matters to hobbyists. To speculators and investors it isn't worth squat. These titles, with a few individual exceptions, appear to be going the way of the pulps.

I would agree with this sentiment. I wouldn't be shocked if in the long run the only books whose value held up was Supes, Bats, war cover Timelys and Nedors.

Jim

Jim;

I would generally agree with your selections except for the Nedors. These are the exact types of books that are more comic collector centric and just not part of the general public consciousness.

Will the so-called "classic" covers, especially for the 2nd and 3rd tier books also be another victim of this shifting trend in the future?

I hate to be so negative, and leave only Supes, Bats and Timelys as the only books that will hold value. I totally understand that if it wasn't for this board I probably wouldn't even know what a Nedor is coupled with the fact that they are adored by this board in general. So if we take Nedors off the list, does that mean we take Suspense #3 as well? Then if we do that, well why do the Timelys stay on, Subby is second tier, Torch is an Android. This leaves us only Superman, Batman and Cap.

That's why I put Nedors on the list, because I'd like to think/hope/believe that more tiltles will still have relevance when I get old :wishluck:

Jim

Where does this book stand in the pantheon of DC Golden Age. It seems like More Fun and Adventure are undervalued significantly when talking about historical importance but they don't seem to have the juice with collectors.

Historical significance only matters to hobbyists. To speculators and investors it isn't worth squat. These titles, with a few individual exceptions, appear to be going the way of the pulps.

I would agree with this sentiment. I wouldn't be shocked if in the long run the only books whose value held up was Supes, Bats, war cover Timelys and Nedors.

Jim

Jim;

I would generally agree with your selections except for the Nedors. These are the exact types of books that are more comic collector centric and just not part of the general public consciousness.

Will the so-called "classic" covers, especially for the 2nd and 3rd tier books also be another victim of this shifting trend in the future?

I hate to be so negative, and leave only Supes, Bats and Timelys as the only books that will hold value. I totally understand that if it wasn't for this board I probably wouldn't even know what a Nedor is coupled with the fact that they are adored by this board in general. So if we take Nedors off the list, does that mean we take Suspense #3 as well? Then if we do that, well why do the Timelys stay on, Subby is second tier, Torch is an Android. This leaves us only Superman, Batman and Cap.

Jim;

Unfortunately, I was being postive and an optimist by leaving the Timelys on the list.

In actual truth, I believe that the ship has already started to sail out of the harbour on the majority of the Timelys. A few years ago, virtually all of the mainline Timely WWII covers would have no problems fetching multiples of guide. Now look at the early Subby's only able to go at a substantial discount to guide. :(

That's why I put Nedors on the list, because I'd like to think/hope/believe that more tiltles will still have relevance when I get old :wishluck:

Same here.....I would also include the Centaurs and early Fox books here. But in reality, these are only niche titles which appeals to only a very small segment of the overall market. I also see the relative value of these books dropping off in the future.

As for me, my only saving grace is that I brought my GA books early on in the game when the prices were still relatively cheap compared to now.

Jim

Jim;

Jim

and with Cap you might be very optimistic, let`s see how the movie does in a year. ;)

Could be down to just Supes and Bats in the end. :grin:

... It seems like More Fun and Adventure are undervalued significantly when talking about historical importance but they don't seem to have the juice with collectors.

You guys both may very well be right.

But I just re-checked some of the prices paid the last go around on these books. And even if what you say comes to fruition, I think that many of the current owners still got great deals on these books. If they hold onto them for a little while, I think they will do just fine. They went cheap. 2c

I hope you are right. But I also remember when Cisco was at 11.00 a share in 2000 after being at 80.00 a few months prior and everyone was yelling that it was a screaming buy. Great company, making real money, not etoys, webvan, etc... Well it went to 6.00 before it hit bottom. Remember it can always go lower.

I got stuck with 250 shares of GM. I've learned my lesson and now I put my money into western comics. The future is bright!

The Lone Ranger rides again! (thumbs u

No fireworks on the floor.A bit dissapointed but a great price.

8.0] 1,050,000.00

7.5] 700,000.00

quite a spread for 1/2 point.

I've said it before. The difference in many collectors' minds between a 7.5 and an 8.0 is more than a half point. It's not logical, but 8.0 just feels like high grade.

The 8.0 had good eye appeal for the grade....the 7.5 didn't.....you're right about the disparity, though. 7.5 is "blue collar" high grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I hope you are right. But I also remember when Cisco was at 11.00 a share in 2000 after being at 80.00 a few months prior and everyone was yelling that it was a screaming buy. Great company, making real money, not etoys, webvan, etc... Well it went to 6.00 before it hit bottom. Remember it can always go lower.

I'm 99% sure it never hit $11 in 2000 (looks like the low was $35 at the end of the year), but when it did finally drop to $11 in late 2002, it was a pretty good buy as it was back over $20 within the next 12 months and has generally moved around in that range since.

You are correct. I went back and checked my records. I bought 800 shares at a split adjusted price of 10.35 in 1998. I missed the 80.00 high but I sold at 68.00. The buy recommendations started at 28.00 in 2002. I bought my 800 not all the way at the bottom but 11.90 and sold at 26 something just over a year later. Now it has been in a trading range of 18-32 for the last 8 years. Again, it is the same great company but it has gotten so big it can't punch out of that range. The point being sentiment can be saying one thing but your gut will tell you something else. Sentiment says these are important books and always will be and deserve to be collected and have a high number. My gut asks me who is going to be the buyers. My want list is so large, I will never get to a More Fun run. I may never make it out of the Silver Age.