• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG If you thought that Action #1 2.5 was ugly in a scan....

93 posts in this topic

All contributions to my Detective 27 fund gratefully accepted

The copy Matt Nelson is restoring had pages missing that I didn't know about, so I had to agree $31,000 for a different low grade copy that was complete).

Arright, Matt - hand over the other 7 pages!!! hehe

What a selfish and inconsiderate thing to say to all of these members!

So what that you have an Action#1. Big deal! Yes, that's right, Big deal!

You seem to think you are so important that you have this book and that everyone is jealous because you own this important book, well that's not right because that is not the issue here and I speak for everyone here.

We are just stating you got a grade that was supposed to be less than it is. All these collectors know what they are talking about and I am sure they can grade a book just as easily as CGC can.

Riddle me this, If I were making fun of Action 1 because I was jealous why do I rip on several CGC GA books that I own or have owned in the past that I feel are over graded? confused.gif

That 3.0 copy does display nice, but I wouldn't take it out of the holder for a resub. The front cover looks like it's one handling away from seperating completely

Ok,

I gotta come clean here. I do think the book received an overly generous grade. You are right, according to other CGC things I have seen, it should be in the 1.5 to 1.8 category.

I have to calm down. I got so hot-headed before because I took it as a personal attack on my stock. Since quitting a 50k a year job so I could run a vintage comic shop I have taken a VERY personal interest in standing behind my product.

The one thing that really miffed me was the person who insulted the fact that I brought it out to a show. I wanted to do something special and make a little display.

See, I go to local conventions to blow out 60s and 70s stock for $1 an issue. It is a lot of fun, and everyone had a good time. I didn't get enough books together to justify my 3 tables, so I got a display case to separate the three age groups: Bronze Silver and Gold. What I sell are mostly bronze and Silver, and many folks in Richmond are not familiar with the ages. So, I had an Action one to illustrate the beginning of the Golden age, with a 1 paragraph describing it, along with a Showcase 4 and GL 76. When people asked me if they were for sale, I said they were not, as they are part of my private collection.

I had the action #1 on ebay for a high price just to draw attention to my auctions, as I move from being an ebay buyer to an ebay seller. So far we have completed over 2500 separate transactions, totalling about 6000 auctions since December. Not too bad if I do say so myself, especially since our feedback is at 99.8 percent, which is fantastic. The auction has since been removed.

So, I took your opinion as a personal attack. I need to learn to separate myself from the fact that I am trying to start a vintage comic company from the ground up.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I will try to refrain from future postings on this board.

Best,

Brett Carreras

ebay seller id: bcarreras

Richmond, VA

I don't think anyone was ripping on you but on the grade CGC gave it.

You didn't grade it right

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is true,...we have been discussing this book for close to a year as far as I can recall....long before I ever saw it at your show.....on a forum that regularly disagrees on the grading of raw and slabbed books this one book stood apart from all the others because it was unanimously seen as generously overgraded.....my mocking was towards the book not you,...and it wasn't until you became personal by insulting me and others here that I slung back personal assaults,...and for that I apologise......

It's also my belief that this whole issue was orchestrated for entertainment value by a very disturbed person who haunts this forum like a bad mexican meal,....can I be safe to assume that you were alerted to this situation by a unknown concerned person by e-mail ?,....I only say this because it is obvious that you were not aware of this forum previously and this method of disturbance has been used in the past to create chaos and animosity on these boards.....

And in conclusion I again offer a sincere apology to both you and your wares and want to welcome you to the boards Brett....I hope you continue to post here....

Brett, I think it is COOL that you brought it to a show.

It's very considerate of you to remember that most of us will have never even held an Action 1 in our hands, and for you to bring yours for people to see and enjoy is more than most dealers might. Most would simply pass the word that they had one in case they could make an off-show sale.

I just took the time to read through this entire thread from start to finish. It was worth it.

Ian, hats off to you. acclaim.gif

Brett, good last post. Don't let it your last.

Remember, personal insults don't get you far on this board.......they just make you a legend! 27_laughing.gif

Ok,

I gotta come clean here. I do think the book received an overly generous grade. You are right, according to other CGC things I have seen, it should be in the 1.5 to 1.8 category.

I have to calm down. I got so hot-headed before because I took it as a personal attack on my stock. Since quitting a 50k a year job so I could run a vintage comic shop I have taken a VERY personal interest in standing behind my product.

The one thing that really miffed me was the person who insulted the fact that I brought it out to a show. I wanted to do something special and make a little display.

See, I go to local conventions to blow out 60s and 70s stock for $1 an issue. It is a lot of fun, and everyone had a good time. I didn't get enough books together to justify my 3 tables, so I got a display case to separate the three age groups: Bronze Silver and Gold. What I sell are mostly bronze and Silver, and many folks in Richmond are not familiar with the ages. So, I had an Action one to illustrate the beginning of the Golden age, with a 1 paragraph describing it, along with a Showcase 4 and GL 76. When people asked me if they were for sale, I said they were not, as they are part of my private collection.

I had the action #1 on ebay for a high price just to draw attention to my auctions, as I move from being an ebay buyer to an ebay seller. So far we have completed over 2500 separate transactions, totalling about 6000 auctions since December. Not too bad if I do say so myself, especially since our feedback is at 99.8 percent, which is fantastic. The auction has since been removed.

So, I took your opinion as a personal attack. I need to learn to separate myself from the fact that I am trying to start a vintage comic company from the ground up.

Best,

Brett Carreras

Richmond, VA

What a mature and reasoned post! Brett, you'd be an absolute asset to the boards with this attitude...hell, it could take you all the way to rookie of the year at some future date if you keep it up! Belated welcome to the boards hi.gif

Ok,

Best,

Brett Carreras

Richmond, VA

What a mature and reasoned post! Brett, you'd be an absolute asset to the boards with this attitude...hell, it could take you all the way to rookie of the year at some future date if you keep it up! Belated welcome to the boards hi.gif

Forum members only personally attack Joe Collector...unless provoked! devil.gif

Timely

Um a few things here from one of the more moderates on the board um Ian count those pages brother.

Excuse me...........

I bought it off someone I've dealt with before.

He told me there was one missing page.

Matt Nelson was going to recreate the missing page.

The book was sent direct to Matt.

I have not to this day laid eyes on the comic.

Matt phoned me to tell me it was missing eight pages not just one.

I freaked.

Nearly half my money got refunded.

I found myself having to buy another copy that was much more expensive than I wanted to pay, purely because I'd already written off in my mind that I actually had a Detective 27, and I had no intention of stepping backwards with THAT comic.