• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How high will it go? Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 on ebay

132 posts in this topic

Well looks like I'm going to be eating my words.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-1974-CGC-Graded-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-/350383291289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Who has this kind of cash to put down on a funny book? :insane:

Why was the ending price a surprise to you? 12 month GPA on this book in this grade is close to $17,000 :shrug:

It's got 3 days to go... :gossip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-1974-CGC-Graded-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-/350383291289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

current high bidder bids this book up from $10,000 to $15,995? fishy

Not at all. The prior high bid was $15,000 and, at this price level, bids are only accepted in $1,000 units.

I can't believe this book gets as much attention and has attained such value. A cool book for sure...but there are so many of these books around. There isn't a rarity to them and it's also not even the first appearance (Hulk 180).

Just my thoughts as this is one of the grails I don't get. Again, Wolverine is a great character...don't want to offend the fans but perhaps I am unaware of why there is such appeal for this book.

Amazingly...it will only keep going up with 3 days to go...some deep pockets really want this book!

current high bidder bids this book up from $10,000 to $15,995? fishy

Looking at the bid history on eBay, it looks like the 2nd highest bidder was at $10,000. The current high bidder kept bidding higher and higher over a short period of time until he hit the reserve at $15,995. If he continued the pattern of his prior bids (basically increasing $1,000 at a time), his max bid is probably $16,000. My guess is that the current high bidder wanted to find out where the reserve was, so long as it was within what he considered reasonable (nothing too fishy looking to me). At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if it were to stay around the current level until near the end when any possible snipes kick in. 2c

Why would you bid this up and not wait till the end. Am I missing something?

To scare away the snipers. Sometimes a sniper thinks "Well this is already at a very high price. No point in bidding at the last minute because it will probably go sky high." The next thing you know, no one bids at the last minute, and the buyer gets a deal.

I can't believe this book gets as much attention and has attained such value. A cool book for sure...but there are so many of these books around. There isn't a rarity to them and it's also not even the first appearance (Hulk 180).

Just my thoughts as this is one of the grails I don't get. Again, Wolverine is a great character...don't want to offend the fans but perhaps I am unaware of why there is such appeal for this book.

Amazingly...it will only keep going up with 3 days to go...some deep pockets really want this book!

Because it's the "first appearance" of arguably one of the top 10 comic book characters of all time. The fact that you don't appreciate that doesn't drive the market for the book. Wolverine has a huge fan base.

The Hulk 180 argument is laughable, old, and beaten like a ginger stepchild. Take that to the noob forum and give you and your shill arch-nemesis something to bicker over. Better yet, do a search for it and read all the thwarted 180 vs. 181 debates.

Because it's the "first appearance" of arguably one of the top 10 comic book characters of all time. The fact that you don't appreciate that doesn't drive the market for the book. Wolverine has a huge fan base.

The Hulk 180 argument is laughable, old, and beaten like a ginger stepchild. Take that to the noob forum and give you and your shill arch-nemesis something to bicker over. Better yet, do a search for it and read all the thwarted 180 vs. 181 debates.

Thanks for your typical negative spin post and welcoming warm approach to discussion. I can tell I'm dealing with quite the humanitarian when you bless us with your retort.

Sure, the topic of 180 vs 181 may be old and laughable but then again so are your constant childish taunts.

Regardless of that nonsense, MY OPINION is that this book is way over priced and over hyped. I actually think Wolverine is a top 10 Marvel character. Just not deserving of the hype and value this one book receives. Regardess of my opinion (and you are right about that...my opinion won't change the market)...my guess is the book closes just shy of 17k.

Have a good day Dice. Oh and the other guy is right...your avatar doesn't get old. :golfclap:

Thanks for your typical negative spin post and welcoming warm approach to discussion. I can tell I'm dealing with quite the humanitarian when you bless us with your retort.

Sure, the topic of 180 vs 181 may be old and laughable but then again so are your constant childish taunts.

Regardless of that nonsense, MY OPINION is that this book is way over priced and over hyped. I actually think Wolverine is a top 10 Marvel character. Just not deserving of the hype and value this one book receives. Regardess of my opinion (and you are right about that...my opinion won't change the market)...my guess is the book closes just shy of 17k.

Have a good day Dice. Oh and the other guy is right...your avatar doesn't get old. :golfclap:

Apparently you just don't know how to take me yet, so I'll let you feel like I'm badgering you as long as you choose to. I'll continue to take it easy so's not to scare you off.

Please feel free to add some of your untapped perspicacious insight on the topic. Saying "No sir, I don't like it" forces us to extrapolate from your lack of follow through.

Translation: Put up or shut up. (said in a joking manner as not to frighten the noob) :foryou:

Apparently you just don't know how to take me yet, so I'll let you feel like I'm badgering you as long as you choose to. I'll continue to take it easy so's not to scare you off.

Please feel free to add some of your untapped perspicacious insight on the topic. Saying "No sir, I don't like it" forces us to extrapolate from your lack of follow through.

Translation: Put up or shut up. (said in a joking manner as not to frighten the noob) :foryou:

Thanks and that's fair...btw you won't scare me off

I guess the reason I feel it shouldn't be worth that much money is to compare it to any other first appearance during that time frame. The book is quite plentiful in numbers compared to most silver keys. Either way like I said it's a great comic and cover. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean anything....obviously there is quite a demand for this comic.