• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdcomixncardz Flash 207 CGG 9.8

68 posts in this topic

I think this thread is much adu about nothing. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll vouch for the guy, I bought from him before.......I'll buy from him again.

Good seller.....well graded book... thumbsup2.gif

Some random thoughts:

- CGG obviously should not provided preferential service to anyone, regardless of their proximity to CGG's offices. I believe that CGC has not done this, although I'm still curious as to whether large volume CGC customers are paying the same $ per book as the average customer - but even if CGC is giving "volume discounts" to major customers, they have every right to do so. Such info wouldn't be well-received by the average CGC customer, but that in-and-of-itseld doesn't constitute any sort of unethical business practice.

...but Daniel ADMITTED he had done this! (Preferantial in terms of speed, not in terms of grade). He said Tdcomix had sent 3-4 moderns (actual number: 7+) and received immediate turnaround. I sent ten and mine will take 3 weeks. I'm not really irritated or anything, so this isn't a grievance, but I wish I could have had just as quick service too. If my comics are returned with grades I think are reasonable, I'll still be a return customer.

But I can see where, if you're just getting started in the biz and have far fewer customers than the market leader, you might well be tempted to bend a few rules in terms of submission turnaround times and so forth. If that keeps your repeat customers happy, you may feel obligated to do it. I think it's a mistake, but I don't think it necessarily means that CGG is doing other 'questionable' things - such as overgrading for preferred customers or whatever.

I agree that there can be a legit motive for tdcomix to promote CGG in his auctions so that the product he's selling is as desirable as he can make them. I understand that. That's why my comments aren't accusations, just questions (and I wish he'd answer me; Terence responded to people who took swipes at his writing, but I tried to offer some reasonable comments written without disrespect, and got no reply).

Heck, I'll go ahead and say it--I wish I had the money to buy his ASM 121 back when he had it! I don't see him as a bad guy, I just wish there was more direct interaction when questions arise. I'd be willing to bid on his auctions in the future, still.

You know... I was really looking forward to seeing CGG set up at the Seattle show promoting their product...

The largest comic book show in the Northwest in the last 8 years. What a perfect opportunity for them to promote their service and show people how great of a company they have. Would have been a chance for potential customers to meet the graders, see the products, and go back home spreading the news about this great company...

But they weren't there... and neither were their products... not one CGG book on the show floor... not one...

I guess the $110 for a booth space was just too big of an investment in marketing their products... confused-smiley-013.gif

On a side note, my immediate reaction when I started reading this thread was that TD had slabbed one of his preview copies. I check mine every week to see if there are any potential 9.8s. It's a perfect opportunity to have a 9.8 a week before everyone else... But apparently it wasn't a case of shrewd thinking, it was just another example of TD being in bed with CGG... foreheadslap.gif

I think that might be a tad harsh, 'House... I don't want to be a "CGG apologist" by any means - I've never used their service and have seen only a couple of CGGed books in person - but how long was CGC in business before they started appearing at shows with their own booth? How long did CGC take to post the first 'installment' of their census?

And in turn, how long has CGG been in business at this point? Should we be expecting CGG, at this point in their 'history,' to do many/all of the things that CGC does in terms of marketing and expanded services like the census?

(The flip-side to this argument, at least in part, would be "well, CGG is doing a pretty good job of copying many aspects of CGC's operations; they shouldn't need as much time to implement new services and features, especially when they're simply mimicking CGC.")

How long did CGC take to post the first 'installment' of their census?

Note: CGC first began grading comic books in January 2000, however, the CGC census data

analyzed in this website were not compiled before the 07/17/2003 CGC census update.

I got this from CGC Census Analysis pages its in small print on the bottom of the page.

but how long was CGC in business before they started appearing at shows with their own booth?

CGC had a booth at the 2000 Chicago Comicon. (That's Wizard World Chicago for you newbies out there!).

Alan

but how long was CGC in business before they started appearing at shows with their own booth?

CGC had a booth at the 2000 Chicago Comicon. (That's Wizard World Chicago for you newbies out there!).

Alan

Interesting...anyone at that show recall whether it was just a promo play, handing out literature on the CGC service, or were they actually grading books at the show, as they do now?

Alan

Interesting...anyone at that show recall whether it was just a promo play, handing out literature on the CGC service, or were they actually grading books at the show, as they do now?

CGC just started doing on-site grading this past Chicago Comicon (am I the only one who can't call it Wizard World?). I'm almost certain they were accepting books for submission (i.e. shipping back to HQ) all the way back at the 2001 show. Not sure about the 2000 one.

Also, CGC held a panel at the 2000 show outlining their services. I won a 9.6 copy of Astro City #1/2 there!! acclaim.gifinsane.gif