• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This One Is For Murph0 - Bronze Age CGC "Upgrade"

40 posts in this topic

For all those that think this phenomenon is limited to GA books only:

CGC 8.5 graded Hulk 181 before being "fixed"

CGC 9.2 graded Hulk 181 after "fixed"

Look at the "OL" in Wolverine. What's up with that?

Looks like it might have been a tape grab.

If it had happened most anywhere else on that book, it wouldn't have been able to heal itself. Fortunately, it tapped into Wolverine's mutant abilities...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

If it had happened most anywhere else on that book, it wouldn't have been able to heal itself. Fortunately, it tapped into Wolverine's mutant abilities...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The Heritage scan has crud on it, both what look to be individual styrofoam cells and other miscellaneous scuff marks, so I would guess that the white stuff is on the inner well and/or the slab.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The Heritage scan has crud on it, both what look to be individual styrofoam cells and other miscellaneous scuff marks, so I would guess that the white stuff is on the inner well and/or the slab.

I'm thinking the same thing the more I look at it. Nice resub any way you look at it though. thumbsup2.gif

That's for sure! The link you have is to an old auction of his for a 9.4 copy, but the image is for his current 9.2 copy (which was the Heritage 8.5 copy) which ends today. That's one way to flip an 8.5 into a 9.2!! 27_laughing.gif

OG, if you and Danny boy keep 'exposing' these flips, Matt and the other Heritage employees will have to keep posting smaller and smaller scans (with BIG pics of the labels, of course) in the "after" auctions, to make the comparisons more difficult...!

So he resubmitted a book? Big deal. Matt Stanley resubbed a book 3 times that went from 8.5 to 9.2. What's your point? That styrafoam and scuff marks on the casing are restoration???

Brian

So he resubmitted a book? Big deal. Matt Stanley resubbed a book 3 times that went from 8.5 to 9.2. What's your point?

My point is that it isn't only GA books that can make large jumps in grade.

That styrafoam and scuff marks on the casing are restoration???

Um, no. Scuff marks and spine splits aren't restoration either. They are damage smart guy. makepoint.gif

Just hang on a little longer Murph. Soon you'll be seeing examples of many cases of the same type of clean and resub game with Silver Age books as you've seen with GA books. You may soon reconsider your "as long as it's not affecting the books I collect I don't care" attitude. Do you really think that Silver Age books are immune? You're whistling in the dark if you think that's true.

If the stuff that's on the OL of Wolverine is dried on foreign matter that was on the book it may just have been scraped off with a fingernail which would account for the bump in grade. I've had books with "stuff" on them that scraped off pretty easily and you could never tell there was anything there. If you're making a case that it should be considered resto I won't argue, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you're making a case that it should be considered resto I won't argue, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not making a case for anything. I'm just posting pictures and asking what people think.

It must be that time of the month, huh? You and Hammer can finally team up to bring down the evil empire of CGC!

Yeh, great.. you've proven something we all know. Lots of books can jump in grade. Congratulations, as I said before. It's already been illustrated numerous times on here so don't think you're showing us all something new.

Brian

Your use of the word "fixed" implies you think that the book was restored, as does your inference to it not being limited to GA books. If I'm right about what was done to the book to up the grade, I don't consider that to be restoration. You may disagree but please don't tell me that you're not making a case for anything sumo.gif

So he resubmitted a book? Big deal. Matt Stanley resubbed a book 3 times that went from 8.5 to 9.2. What's your point? That styrafoam and scuff marks on the casing are restoration???

Brian

Of course not, you fool - removal of scuff marks and styrofoam from the casing is restoration!! insane.gif

Buy the label, not the plexiglass!

It must be that time of the month, huh? You and Hammer can finally team up to bring down the evil empire of CGC!

Yeh, great.. you've proven something we all know. Lots of books can jump in grade. Congratulations, as I said before. It's already been illustrated numerous times on here so don't think you're showing us all something new.

Brian

Ok Murph, how about this. Just ignore the threads I start. Problem solved. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Your use of the word "fixed" implies you think that the book was restored, as does your inference to it not being limited to GA books. If I'm right about what was done to the book to up the grade, I don't consider that to be restoration. You may disagree but please don't tell me that you're not making a case for anything sumo.gif

I'm not making a case for anything.