• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My treasure find....althought they weren't comics???????

9 posts in this topic

To follow up on the variant thread around ethics. I have my own tale to tell that transpired over the last three days. I collect vinyl no I am addicted to vinyl. It is the one passion that supercedes my interest in comics. I still own every record I have ever bought, whether it be LP's, EP's or 45's.

My first EP purchase was - The work song - Herb Alpert (I was 6)

My first 45 purchase was - One - Johnny Farnham (oz boy)

My first LP purchase was - Led Zeppelin III (I was 8)

I can order my catalogue auto biographically.

My wife and I scoure the garage sales where we live every Saturday morning, we buy everything that we can that looks interesting or is we can turn a buck on (we will open an antiques store one day). We don't low ball anybody and either pay what they are asking or pass on it. We have had our fair share of success doing this.

I of course keep a special eye out for vinyl. It has become slim pickings of late as vinyl has become very collectible and I have to compete with full time dealers (one of whom goes to every house that has vinyl in their description the day before the garage sale). My special interest is in punk and post punk bands (especially from the UK).

On Saturday I turn up to a house and I am the first there, inside there are two collections belonging to two different sisters. Collection one has a typical 70's/80's selection (although there are a couple of Iggy Pop albums) and I pick up 12 in total. She charges me $3- per record. Now that is about the odds for the records I bought but I paid and didn't quibble.

Sister 2 on the other hand has a goldmine for me.....all her records were lovingly cared for, were in plastic sleeves and were in NM condition. I picked up the first 6 prince albums, a great copy of Sandanista by the clash, Macine gun etiquette and damned, damned, damned by the Damned and albums by the vibrators, buzzcocks, slits, ruts, siouxie, and then I find first pressings of Stiff Little Fingers first two albums. To say I was excited would be an understatement. I take about 30 records up to her and she says $1 a piece. I looked at her and told her I would give her $6 a piece. She was totally dumbfounded....but I felt good about myself. I told her the records had found a good home and would be well loved.

Fast forward to yesterday......my wife rings me from the tip where they have a shop that sells items that have been thrown away but could be worth money. She tells me that she has picked up about a dozen albums (mostly lowgrade XTC but still playable) and 60 EP and 45's. In total she paid $6. (remember....somebody has thrown these away).

When I got home I was presented with a selection of english picture sleeves....Jam, Buzzcocks, Siouxie, Rascals, Sham 69, etc etc etc. There is also a huge run of early 80's oz independent EP's (these are priceless from a history perspective). She then gives me about 20 first pressing (95% are promo's) US 45's from 1964 - 1969 that included The Standells, The Dirty Shames, The Warm, The Leaves, ? and the Mysterians, The Cryan Shames etc etc etc. In mint and in promo form they are worth between 25 - 100 US (one of the promo's isn't even catalogued and I have already had an offer of $200 US this morning). cloud9.gif

In total my wife's find, if sold, could net close to 1k. I just think it is Khama.

Sorry to bore you all but I am still so excited over it that I had to tell somebody.

I also got a Shadow LP......using all the voices from the radio show. Cool art (1975).

Congrats on the finds!!!! Most of us that collect comics also collect other things so we can relate. I walked in to a used sporting goods store in Texas about 8 years ago and started picking out a few records myself. I had about $10 bucks worth and the owner asked me if I was interest and seeing what he had in the backroom.

He had comics and records and a few other collectables back there so I went to town looking. The comics were average condition and now real winners except for some ASM's. The records were mainly from the 60's and 70's with some older stuff thrown in for good measure.

I stated that I really wasn't interested in the records, but asked him how much for the 7 boxes he had.......$15 was his reply and I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I actually had to make two trips to haul them back to Florida after a couple of vacations 4 years apart.

If you want any of them, you can have them for next ot nothing thumbsup2.gif

In total my wife's find, if sold, could net close to 1k. I just think it is Khama.

Awesome story!! I too am a huge believer in Kharma and have a few cool stories too.

Props for doing the right thing!! thumbsup2.gif

DAM

Does the group Alexander Rabbit ring a bell? Or Lothar and the Hand People?

AR had a hit called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". Been gone from my collection 30 years but still remember it as a very weird album. Post your want list sometime. I have lots of vinyl from the 70's, along with Stiff 45s etc. You may have a lot of these already.

Red

They were a hidden gem. Album has a great cover and if I remember rightly it had the track Goin down on it. I have a really beat up copy that I picked up somewhere. You were obviously into psychodelia Red ( a little substance abuse mixed in there somewhere as a youth?????). US produced a great batch or organ/synth music that has been forgotten in the great wash of bands that dominated this area from the UK.

If I find any stuff like this then I consider myself lucky.

As to what I need......I need everything.....I rarely limit myself to any genre except I won't listen to Rap and Dance music gives me a headache.

What turns me on though is anything that is obscure like the bands you have mentioned or in my mainline stream of collecting (punk/rock/pop).

I have over 4000 vinyl, I am behind in catalogueing them by a third. Have about 600 I have yet to listen to and need the wife to build more shelves in the den to house them. grin.gif

To be honest.....with the collecting habits I have I can wait till retirement so as I can get them all in order. grin.gif

Wow, that's incredible.

Any Angry Samoans or Dead Milkmen?

Ahhhh, the Dead Milkmen. I once saw them in a bar in Cambridge. Some great music, and they spent the whole night making fun of Suzanne Vega. Great show.

Wow, that's incredible.

Any Angry Samoans or Dead Milkmen?

Ahhhh, the Dead Milkmen. I once saw them in a bar in Cambridge. Some great music, and they spent the whole night making fun of Suzanne Vega. Great show.

Hey guys, I'm a fan of the Milkmen too, and when I saw this thread pop up a couple of weeks ago, I almost chimed in, but didn't. Well, the DM bassist Dave Blood passed away last night. Pretty sad, the DM were a great band.

http://www.deadmilkmen.com/