• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How well does Metropolis grade?

146 posts in this topic

No problem on the Supes book greggy.

The only thing about CGC's $7 reholdering fee is I believe that it only applies if the outer hard case needs to be replaced. My book appears as if they may have to remove it from the inner lining as well and completely redo it. I don't know if that would fall under their re-holdering guidelines or not.

Doesn anyone have any insight on this?

The only problem with my Action #413 that's CGC graded 9.4 is that the book appears to be wavy in the case. I don't know what the problem is with it......maybe it's the way they sealed it in the "well".

Yes, this is one of my pet peeves with the CGC case as I've seen "the wave" on numerous books as well. Over time, I would have to believe that the book would be permanently affected. It doesn't appear to affect the thicker/bigger silver and golden age books though.

Yeah.......it really doesn't look good and I'm afraid to leave it like this. This particular issue is one of the thicker copies (52 pages) of that era.......but you can clearly see it's wavy across the whole length of the book. mad.gif

I think I'll post a question in the "Ask CGC" threads and see what they say it will cost me for them to completely re-sleeve and re-slab the book. I may just have to eat the cost to save the book.

I may be disagreeing with all (or most) of you, but I was unhappy with an order that I placed with Metropolis for the following: Fantastic Four 16, 18, 31 (and another one -- I can't remember) all in VF. I returned all of them. The 16 was Fine at best, 18 was a F/VF and the 31 was VF- but it had a huge date stamp that was not disclosed (I don't mind date stamps, but this one was really intrusive).

As a rule they grade really well. I have bought about 15 books from them, and I have noticed that as the books get more expensive, their grading gets tighter.

Example - I ordered a Jungle Action 5 from them that was supposed to be 9.0, when I got it, I could see how a case could be argued for that, but I would have graded it an 8-8.5...I think I paid 12 bucks.

I bought an X-Men 28 from them in an advertised 8.0, and I must say, I actually think it would grade out at 8.5 or 9.0...I paid $110.

I imagine that one of the more qualified persons to answer the question posed, "How well does Metropolis grade", would be Nic Cage, his having a great deal of experience on the buying, grading, and consigning end of comics valued significantly higher than $8 to $110 (where comics that are 1 full grade off suffer in value by thousands and tens of thousands of dollars, rather than 5 or 10 bucks).

Bug,

After you place the order do you have to confirm with them if you paid via credit card? They sent me an email saying that the order was confirmed and that was it. Here's the email:

"Thank you for your order, below you will find your order confirmation and total.

Keep in mind that we have nearly 1 million books in stock (many which are not on

the website) and we always welcome want lists. Feel free to contact us if there

is anything else I can help you with. Click the URL below or copy it into your

web browser and fill out the want list section on our site, or reply to this

message with your list."

Is it done? I noticed that the books I ordered all say "on hold" next to them on their website. tongue.gif

I think your order is fine.

I just filled out the order form with my credit card information and submitted it. I ended up getting two emails from them after that.

The first one started off with:

ORDER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT -- THIS IS A RECORD OF YOUR ORDER, NOT OF BILLING OR SHIPMENT

Then at the bottom of that first email it said:

As a new user, you must confirm your email address before you will be able to view the status of your order. To confirm your email address, please go to:

(Then it gave a website to go to)

to confirm you have received this message. You will then be able to

view the status of your order. Note: The dealer will update the status

of your order, and will be in contact with you about the cost of

shipping, insurance, taxes (if any) relating to your order.

After I went to that website and confirmed my email address, etc., then I received a second email from them which gave me a TOTAL invoice amount including shipping.

In my opinion......their ordering system SUCKS!