• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aquaman

82 posts in this topic

Nonsense. Namor was so dumb that he didn't realize that WWII was the concern of surface dwellers only. Atlanteans didn't need to be involved. But Namor so completely devoted himself to fighting Nazis and Japs that when the war ended he was left purposeless. And so his stories were cancelled. Aquaman meanwhile survived merrily through the post war years and ended up with a continuing publication history of around thirty years.

valentin1.PNG

:makepoint:

Then why'd it take Aquaman almost 20 years just to get on a cover? :baiting: (which amazingly is BB # 28)

...the Bronze age Aquaman -- with that wonderful Jim Aparo art -- was kinda cool.

Agree Aquaman by Jim aparo was amazing

I agree. Jim Aparo's rendering of Aquaman was fabulous!

meracries.JPG

calendar.JPG

:acclaim:

Your first 2 panels are from the late great Don Newton, who also did excellent work on Aquaman in the late 70s-early 80s. But yeah, Aparo was THE artist for Aquaman.

As a 10 year old, DC Superstars #7 was the first book I remember buying at the store that I kept til this day. It featured Aquaman and I loved it. I've always been nostalgic towards Aquaman due to that. I bought all the Aparo Adventure comics featuring Aquaman as well as some on the 1970's short run of his own title.

I agree. Jim Aparo's rendering of Aquaman was fabulous!

meracries.JPG

calendar.JPG

:acclaim:

Your first 2 panels are from the late great Don Newton, who also did excellent work on Aquaman in the late 70s-early 80s. But yeah, Aparo was THE artist for Aquaman.

Well cheers to Don Newton as well! His Aquaman looks great too.

I was looking for Aparo renderings of Aquaman with Mera aside from the covers and I just blew it. Sorry.

:blush:

Here's two good Aparo Aquaman renderings though:

1978calendar.gif

aparo_stamp_250.jpg

Nonsense. Namor was so dumb that he didn't realize that WWII was the concern of surface dwellers only. Atlanteans didn't need to be involved. But Namor so completely devoted himself to fighting Nazis and Japs that when the war ended he was left purposeless. And so his stories were cancelled. Aquaman meanwhile survived merrily through the post war years and ended up with a continuing publication history of around thirty years.

Then why'd it take Aquaman almost 20 years just to get on a cover? :baiting: (which amazingly is BB # 28)

Because the Philistines putting out DC comics at the time were too short sighted to realize the full potential Aquaman had as a character, that's why!

Speaking of Namor though, what's with the fruitcake wings on his heels? And speaking of cakes, how many Hostess Cup Cakes did Namor sell, you tell me that! Aquaman though being a mega hero sold 'em by the caseload!

hostessiceage.gif

As a 10 year old, DC Superstars #7 was the first book I remember buying at the store that I kept til this day. It featured Aquaman and I loved it. I've always been nostalgic towards Aquaman due to that. I bought all the Aparo Adventure comics featuring Aquaman as well as some on the 1970's short run of his own title.

Yes, and Jim Aparo probably drew the best Aquaman.

466-1.jpg

Aquaman is actually the fourth best known DC superhero to the general public. because of the Superman - Aquaman Hour of Adventure cartoon show in the late sixties and then his participation as part of the Super Friends characters in the seventies. He's behind only Superman, Batman and Robin, and Wonder Woman - and just ahead of the Flash.

:blahblah:

As ever the plastic CGC saves you from the horror of the story within

cgc :cloud9:

Aquaman covers :cloud9:

001-1.jpg

What's really beautiful is that copy is indistinguishable from my CGC 9.0 - I'm sure I've got the last laugh here......., :lol:

Yes, and Jim Aparo probably drew the best Aquaman.

466-1.jpg

Aquaman is actually the fourth best known DC superhero to the general public. because of the Superman - Aquaman Hour of Adventure cartoon show in the late sixties and then his participation as part of the Super Friends characters in the seventies. He's behind only Superman, Batman and Robin, and Wonder Woman - and just ahead of the Flash.

:blahblah:

God, I loved those Dollar Adventures back in the day. I bought this one at the drugstore way back when.

As ever the plastic CGC saves you from the horror of the story within

cgc :cloud9:

Aquaman covers :cloud9:

001-1.jpg

What's really beautiful is that copy is indistinguishable from my CGC 9.0 - I'm sure I've got the last laugh here......., :lol:

so post a picture and lets see (shrug)

so post a picture and lets see (shrug)

I bought it from Arex - pretty sure I cracked it out long ago.

Yes, and Jim Aparo probably drew the best Aquaman. :blahblah:

Nah, I agree there. (thumbs u

I actually have the original cover art for this one from 1994:

Aquaman81995.jpg

I kinda liked that early 1990's, hook arm, gladiator look... or maybe it was the Fire/Water babes there, not too sure.

:insane: