• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weighing the pro's and con's of online subscription services.

31 posts in this topic

I think it would be a great idea to go beyond simply recommending an online comic source and get into actual detail of the pro's and con's of each one so all of us can make better decisions based on what we are looking for. The only site I have experience with at the moment is Heavyink, but I am considering a change. At the moment I'm undecided. As I was weighing the pro's and con's to myself, I decided I should post them up and see what people have to say about sites they use or have used. Here we go.

Pro's:

Cheap shipping. I chose the option they have where they hold my orders until I have at least ten titles, bringing my shipping down to 99 cents per order.

Easy to use website. I can view past orders, upcoming shipments, see what's available now and the release dates for upcoming issues on my pull list. The total cost of each order is displayed on the calendar.

Flexibility. I can add to or cancel an issue pretty much any time as long as it's before the order ships. No preorders, no locked in orders, no paying until the shipment is ready.

Discount. 20% off cover. That combined with the cheap shipping saves me quite a bit of money.

Back issues. Heavyink stocks it until it sells out. I have ordered issues two years old or older through them.

Con's:

Unable to choose which cover I want when a comic has multiple covers. This is a big one to me. You can order all covers if you want, but if you only want one copy, you get what you get. I'm not the type to buy multiple copies of a single issue, but sometimes I think one cover is way cooler than the other. Would be so simple for them to impliment you would think.

The odd hangup or glitch. All those Image Firsts that came out a while ago were listed as one comic with ten variant covers. There was no way to order just one and actually choose which one you wanted, so if you wanted to check out Chew, Proof, Girls, and Age Of Bronze on the cheap, you also had to bring home Spawn, Savage Dragon, and Youngblood as well. That just seemed like such a terrible way to list the comic. The new batch of Image Firsts aren't even up there. Maybe they will be, maybe they won't. If not I guess I"ll have to get on eBay and pay full price plus shipping for them.

Missing out on cool stuff. They don't order everything in previews. The upcoming Halloween comic book treat packs are not available through Heavyink. That's a bummer. I'm sure I miss out on plenty more but I wouldn't know since I pretty much only look on Heavyink for upcoming stuff.

Packaging. It's really not an issue to me, but I know the people of this site would like to know. They ship the comics raw wrapped in brown paper and placed in a box. I doubt I have gotten a single comic from them that would grade a 9.8. Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to grade and have no experience with the competitors to compare packaging with. The price makes up for it to me, and nothing ever comes in a condition I'm not happy with as a reader.

So that's it. Anyone have other experiences with Heavyink good or bad that I missed please post in detail. Also, any experiences with other suppliers as well :)

Wow...you have been missing out. Check out Mailordercomics.com. There are other sites as well that I know people have had success with also.

For multiple covers...you can request a specific one and Terri will do the best she can to make it happen.

They package theirs in a large bag, inside bubble wrap and then ship it in a box. I pay extra to have each comic bagged and boarded...I think it is 10 or 12 cents for each book...usually about a buck and a half to two bucks total.

They have a large amount of their books where the discount is above 20%. In fact they have discounts as large as 75%, although there is usually a limit as to how many you can order on those books.

I never have a problem getting the variants I want.

Multiple shipping options...I usually choose media mail, Mailordercomics is in Nebraska and I am in Iowa. They usually ship on Thursday and I get them on Monday...sometimes on that saturday.

Mailordercomics customer service is outstanding. I can be pretty picky about my books sometimes...especially certain variants...Terri has put up with all my requests and made everything right in the rare case that I had a problem with something.

As far as I know, everything in the previews books is available there. I've almost ordered a couple board games from them...they even offer a discount of 20% on those.

They have a retail store, which makes ordering recent back issues possible.

Their website is easy to use, with several payment options including paypal.

Definitely recommend them.

I just checked out their site. The discounts are nice. I saw plenty of 50% discounts just on a quick scan of the place. I thought the list style setup was a little harder on the eyes compared to the neat cover gallery on Heavyink. How much does shipping usually cost for you? Also, once you order something, are you locked in or can you change your mind last minute? I do that sometimes :)

I've thought about mail order many times - knowing it would save me a couple bucks every week considering drive time, gas, cover price, etc. For me, I always decide against it for a few reasons:

1.) Supporting my local comic shop and the perks that come along with it. I've spent too long going to my LCS and building a relationship with the owner and workers to turn my back on them. I'm a very loyal person. Plus, they pull all variants on my pull list for me and sell them to me for $6 flat, regardless of how rare they are... like the Avengers Gatefold Party Variant.

2.) Condition. I know the moderns aren't worth , but I still go through my pull stack every week and replace the issues I'm not happy with. I want them all NM. If they are to get damaged, I want to be the one to do it, lol. $3-$4 a book, I at least want to know I'm getting it in the best condition I can.

3.) The unkown variables. Random 50/50 covers. Freebies. The weekly comicshopnews. Random issue pickups. Plus some things just need to be seen in person before deciding on.

4.) Chatting comics in person. I love to go into the LCS, chat with the guys there and listen to others talk comics. I try and hang out for 15-20 minutes and at least BS with the workers and the customers I know (and sometimes don't know). It's a great way to learn about books you might not be reading!

Packaging. It's really not an issue to me, but I know the people of this site would like to know. They ship the comics raw wrapped in brown paper and placed in a box. I doubt I have gotten a single comic from them that would grade a 9.8. Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to grade and have no experience with the competitors to compare packaging with. The price makes up for it to me, and nothing ever comes in a condition I'm not happy with as a reader.

Heavyink is at the very bottom of the rung when it comes to online comic book subscription services - the measly 20% discount, the poor packaging and the fact that they don't differentiate between variants & regular editions, nor 1st prints, 2nd prints, 3rd prints, etc makes them pretty much unusable in my book.

Like Chuck says, switch to DCBservice.com - you'll be much happier.

There is any european member using an online service? The biggest worry is about shipping cost

Have you tried contacting Fantask in Copenhagen? They're one of Europe's largest comic book stores - it's where I had my pull list when I was growing up ...

I've started using DCBS over the last year and now half my pull list is with them. It sure has helped me save on those $3.99 books, trades and expensive statues. I will continue to support my LCS, I'd hate to see them go out of business. I usually buy the books I can't wait for at my LCS.

I just checked out their site. The discounts are nice. I saw plenty of 50% discounts just on a quick scan of the place. I thought the list style setup was a little harder on the eyes compared to the neat cover gallery on Heavyink. How much does shipping usually cost for you? Also, once you order something, are you locked in or can you change your mind last minute? I do that sometimes :)

My shipping costs for monthly deliveries run about $4.50, about double if I decided to go to twice monthly. That is for media mail. UPS is about $7.50 per month.

You can change your order, as long as you do it before the monthly timer runs out. You can add to your order pretty much anytime after that by calling customer service.

I usually change it a few times during the month...always finding new things to check out.

If I had a LCS to support, I would. The closest to me is about 40 minutes away. I still visit him at least once a month...for my previews books. I also buy my collection drawer boxes from him. Whenever my wife wants to go to the cities for something, I try to sneak a visit in then also.

I usually prefer to spend time going through the racks in my local store to cheery pick the best condition possible, for the trained tatooed monkey at the till to bend the comic into a 8.5 while they scan the barcode & have the cheek to ask if I want a bag while its pouring with rain outside. Cant get that kind of service from online shipping.

I usually prefer to spend time going through the racks in my local store to cheery pick the best condition possible, for the trained tatooed monkey at the till to bend the comic into a 8.5 while they scan the barcode & have the cheek to ask if I want a bag while its pouring with rain outside. Cant get that kind of service from online shipping.

Seriously, how do those people get to work at comic shops? Far too common an occurrence.

Heavyink is at the very bottom of the rung when it comes to online comic book subscription services - the measly 20% discount, the poor packaging and the fact that they don't differentiate between variants & regular editions, nor 1st prints, 2nd prints, 3rd prints, etc makes them pretty much unusable in my book.

Like Chuck says, switch to DCBservice.com - you'll be much happier.

The Best, (thumbs u

Seriously, how do those people get to work at comic shops? Far too common an occurrence.

They pay most of them in comic books and not money ,that might have something to do with it. ;)

i get all my new books from impulse creations, i have for over 7 years now, i order every marvel title(marvel universe), that isnt a reprint,

i get a 30 percent dicscount..

books are shipped to me once a month(free shipping) though you can have them shipped weekly for a charge.

books are in excellent shape, i have gotten several 9.8's and they mix in variant covers.

they dont miss issues(only 1 book in 7 years).

they bag and board every book(for free)..

and they ship fed ex, it gets here in 2 days(ups takes up to 5,take that brown truck)

thier website is easy to navigate, and you can add books up until the time they ship, and cancel books at anytime period.

i would love to shop at my local store, but they cant come close to matching the discount, plus i dont pay tax on my books, so i would have to get 40 percent to go local.

I am thinking of switching to DCBS, I just wish their site is done more like Heavyink. I think if one site offered the flexibility and discounts of DCBS with a completely polished website (I wouldn't say Heavyink is completely polished, but it's the nicest I have seen) they could really take over the online subscription service.