• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt Fury #1 war or super-hero comic?

122 posts in this topic

One could argue that FF #21 is the "TTA #27" for Nick Fury -- as an Agent of SHIELD.

He's CIA in FF21. :shy:

Was it positively ID'd as CIA in the story, or was it referred to as a secret government agency? Its been years since I read it

Sgt. Fury #1 is War Book.

An over the Top War book we find out as the series progressed.

Having read Sgt. Fury as kid in the '60s, it was always a war book like Big 5 DC books. (read those, too).

Nick Fury has evolved but Sgt. Fury will always be War.

And whose to say it is not really another LMD running aound as Nick. :o

Hasta,

Pablo

Sgt. Fury the comic was done "Marvel Method", and due to the Reed Richards appearance, and later Captain America, I have to believe that Stan intended NIck and the boys to be rent-paying residents of The Marvel Universe. And, as you all know, if you hang around in the M.U. long enough, you become a super-hero.

One could argue that FF #21 is the "TTA #27" for Nick Fury -- as an Agent of SHIELD.
He's CIA in FF21.   :shy: 
Was it positively ID'd as CIA in the story, or was it referred to as a secret government agency? Its been years since I read it
It's CIA in the book.....and even though Sgt. Fury is technically a War book (and a great one at that)....I've always considered it part of the hero canon....especially with all the crossovers in 3, 13, FF 21, etc.....good question. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

He's CIA in FF21.   :shy: 
It's CIA in the book.....and even though Sgt. Fury is technically a War book (and a great one at that)....I've always considered it part of the hero canon....especially with all the crossovers in 3, 13, FF 21, etc.....good question. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Looks like we are leaning towards it being a war book (ignoring the OS War Report definition conditions re super-heroes in the series) but it being the first appearance (even if super-powerless) of the super-hero Nick Fury.

Any dissenting views?

In a way I've always viewed Sgt Fury #1 to be the one early major SA Marvel key that is different from the others because it was a war book rather than a super-hero book.

Its perception as a war book rather than a super-hero book seemed to make it less desirable in the past and therefore less collected.

Census data and current availabilty seems to reinforce this idea as they suggest that finding high grade copies of Sgt Fury #1 is considerably harder than other keys issued around the same period.

Can anyone indicate whether this is actually the case or not?

My copy is a mid grade (6.0) sig series copy signed by Stan Lee (in SD ealier this year) and Ayers.

Definitely a war book. These guys are soldiers with no superpowers, other than the amazing ability not to get shot whilst running through a hail of bullets.

There are superhero, and humorous elements, but still a war book nonetheless.

It's a war book but more cartoonish with feats bordering on the super-heroic. Definitely not as gritty and semi-realistic as DC war, but definitely not superheros either.

Well put.

And Nick Fury of Shield was an adventure hero. He was a James Bond or Napoleon Solo. He had no superhuman powers. He depended upon his experience and technology to combat villains.

His "strange tales" were in the Marvel Universe but on the edge of the superhero world by definition and popularity.

Forever?

Sure. Since there are no superhero elements in it, I think it's safe to call it war, even though the main character evolved into a superspy later on down the line.

May have no elements in the first issue but as notes earlier he does meet up with Cap and Bucky which were excluded from the War category due to super-hero involvement. Hence do you exclude the entire series from the War category and make it a super-hero book?

Yes, but does one appearance...in the context of WWII, no less...make the entire title "superhero"...?

I don't think that's the case.

I don't have my set in front of me, but isn't that the only time in the 160 or so issues the series ran that a "superhero" even appeared? Sans Ben Grimm pre-Thing?

I cant remember if he appeared in the actual series or if it was retospectively placed into the series, but i seem to recal Reed Richards appearing as Reed Richards (not Mr Fantastic) also.

I would agree that this is a war book, but has historical value much more so than all the other war books as the main character has gone on to become such an important figure within the mainstream Marvel Universe.

In terms of modern books & films, well Nick Fury is the man, as he is all over the ultimates Marvel Universe and obviously is playing an integral role in the new Avengers movie that will be coming out. This no doubt will make him more of a central character within the coimics as well as more well known outside of the comics industry.

Forever?

Sure. Since there are no superhero elements in it, I think it's safe to call it war, even though the main character evolved into a superspy later on down the line.

May have no elements in the first issue but as notes earlier he does meet up with Cap and Bucky which were excluded from the War category due to super-hero involvement. Hence do you exclude the entire series from the War category and make it a super-hero book?

Yes, but does one appearance...in the context of WWII, no less...make the entire title "superhero"...?

I don't think that's the case.

I don't have my set in front of me, but isn't that the only time in the 160 or so issues the series ran that a "superhero" even appeared? Sans Ben Grimm pre-Thing?

I cant remember if he appeared in the actual series or if it was retospectively placed into the series, but i seem to recal Reed Richards appearing as Reed Richards (not Mr Fantastic) also.

I would agree that this is a war book, but has historical value much more so than all the other war books as the main character has gone on to become such an important figure within the mainstream Marvel Universe.

In terms of modern books & films, well Nick Fury is the man, as he is all over the ultimates Marvel Universe and obviously is playing an integral role in the new Avengers movie that will be coming out. This no doubt will make him more of a central character within the coimics as well as more well known outside of the comics industry.

I need to check my books , but I thought Reed Richards was in Nick Fury as well and Ben Grimm was in Captain Savage.

Nick Fury is becoming a more important character in the Marvel Movie Universe, will it translate to the comic books? i suspect so.

A question to ask is would it happen sooner if Nick Fury was black in the comics?

Sgt Fury is a war book that crossed over a couple of times into the superhero genre. Time and circumstances don't change that. 2c

Nick Fury is becoming a more important character in the Marvel Movie Universe, will it translate to the comic books? i suspect so.

A question to ask is would it happen sooner if Nick Fury was black in the comics?

Personally i have no issue with them changing the character in the film and the way i look at it, well pretty much all of the characters in the Avengers film are different from their inception in the comics.

Would the price and importance of Sgt Fury #1 be recognized more if he was as per the ultimate's Fury...probably, but i don't believe that it is a hindrance to the significance of this 1963 issue being recognised for what it is - the 1st appearance of Nick Fury who goes on to become Nick Fury of Shield.

In my eyes this and the TTA #27 are synonymous with each other to the extent that both are the first appearances of characters that went on to become so much more within the Marvel universe. TTA #27 has received lots of recognition, even though you could argue that Nick Fury has been a much more important and prominent character in comics for the last 8 years and that he will be much more prominent a person in the world outside of comics for a long time to come. All in all i cant believe how cheap Fury #1 is in comparison to the other Marvel comics of 1963 but I'm sure that it will start moving upwards when people realise that this comic came out just 2 months after Spidey #1 and TOS #39 and is truly one of the Silver Age Marvels top 5 scarce books in mid-high grade.