• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Good episode.

I agree I think they are moving the story along too quickly. I was 100% positive Governor would be around for 2 seasons, but now I'm not so sure.

Excited to see what's going to happen with Merle. Governor doesn't trust him anymore and I think he's starting to see that. I think he may end up joining back up with Rick's group. It'll cause tension within the group again (like Rick vs. Shane). The prison group doesn't have any friction within it anymore. They need to bring back the drama within the group.

Regarding Penny:

I thought it was a mis-step revealing her earlier in the season. They should have waited until next weeks episode. Would have been more powerful and better placed. Hindsight I guess for the writers/producers.

Ryan

It's a pretty standard literary device to let the reader/viewer have more information about the characters than the characters have about each other. That allows tension to build as we, as viewers, realize details about the characters and see the revelation of those details on the other characters portrayed.

To put it another way, we see the man with the axe in the basement, the young girl in the tight tube top can't and we're screaming at the screen for her to get out of that basement.

Instead of a momentary fright when everyone see the evil at the same time we are forced to know it in advance and watch the characters on screen eventually come to that conclusion never knowing the full amount of danger they are facing.

Good episode.

I agree I think they are moving the story along too quickly. I was 100% positive Governor would be around for 2 seasons, but now I'm not so sure.

Excited to see what's going to happen with Merle. Governor doesn't trust him anymore and I think he's starting to see that. I think he may end up joining back up with Rick's group. It'll cause tension within the group again (like Rick vs. Shane). The prison group doesn't have any friction within it anymore. They need to bring back the drama within the group.

I think Merle might have burned his bridge with Glen.

I know that this would upset many many people, but do you think the writers have something bad planned for Daryl in the upcoming episode(s)?

Seems like with the introduction of Tyreese and Michonne, the prison roster may be a bit too crowded with muscle. Also, based on the previews for next week's episode, it looks like Daryl freaks out a little when he realizes Merle is with the Gov, and Rick has to calm him down.

It sure would off a lot of people, but it would also leave a lot of people talking about the show during its off-season.

Regarding Penny:

I thought it was a mis-step revealing her earlier in the season. They should have waited until next weeks episode. Would have been more powerful and better placed. Hindsight I guess for the writers/producers.

Ryan

It's a pretty standard literary device to let the reader/viewer have more information about the characters than the characters have about each other. That allows tension to build as we, as viewers, realize details about the characters and see the revelation of those details on the other characters portrayed.

To put it another way, we see the man with the axe in the basement, the young girl in the tight tube top can't and we're screaming at the screen for her to get out of that basement.

Instead of a momentary fright when everyone see the evil at the same time we are forced to know it in advance and watch the characters on screen eventually come to that conclusion never knowing the full amount of danger they are facing.

Good point. I think we should have known about her but not show her face until next week. Like Jaws, we know he's out there but don't get the full look until later in the movie.

Who knows what'll go down next week. It's already them going in to rescue some people from Woodbury but the gov now knows their home base location. I wouldn't be surprised to see a retaliation attack on the mid season opener in the spring.
At first I thought that was not a possibility. Then I started thinking about it. The Governor can't really rally his citizenry against another group of survivors without a very good reason. Most of the residents have no idea they've been eliminating survivor threats and looting their supplies. Therefore, only a few of the Guv's inner circle could be trusted to lead an attack.

But,

If the previews are correct and Rick's group gets into a firefight in the town, that could be enough to justify a bigger force than just a few Guv handpicked men.

Not sure how they get around an all out clash.

Good episode.

I agree. I think it'll create good drama if Darrell wants his brother to join but after what he did to Glenn and his feelings for Rick, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I think Darrell is going to end up having to choose between the group and his brother at some point

Good episode.

I agree. I think it'll create good drama if Darrell wants his brother to join but after what he did to Glenn and his feelings for Rick, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I think Darrell is going to end up having to choose between the group and his brother at some point

I think Merle might have a little "Vader's Redemption" in his future.

I know that this would upset many many people, but do you think the writers have something bad planned for Daryl in the upcoming episode(s)?

Seems like with the introduction of Tyreese and Michonne, the prison roster may be a bit too crowded with muscle. Also, based on the previews for next week's episode, it looks like Daryl freaks out a little when he realizes Merle is with the Gov, and Rick has to calm him down.

It sure would off a lot of people, but it would also leave a lot of people talking about the show during its off-season.

I can't see them killing off Darryl for any reason...he's the second most popular character on the show and EVERYBODY loves him. AMC is not protective of his character rights to whack him anytime soon.

Jim

Yeah this was an ok episode. Let's see what next week brings.

I don't read the comics, but I've heard enough about them (I have friends that read them) to know that the Governor was a pretty scary dude in the comics. On the TV show? Different story.

I mean, yeah he's the "bad guy" but is he really that "bad"? Sure he has a collection of heads he keeps, and he is a shady guy....but I don't FEAR him, like the governor in the comics (so I've heard). This guy just doesn't seem that evil. I was hoping that he would have done SOMETHING this epidsode to make us, as the audience, really fear him. I thought the scene with Maggie should have gone "all the way" so to speak. He needs to do something that makes me hate him, and want to see him burn for all that he has done.

But nope. Lost opportunity. I'll continue to watch and know he's the bad guy simply by his comic book reputation alone.

This TV Governor is weak subsitute.

+1

The comic reads faster, so maybe that helped too. But the comic Governor definitely was an evil badass character that was to be feared. The TV Governor is ok, but isn't as scary yet. 2c

Comic book spoilers to compare the two versions up to this point in the story:

Comic Governor:

1. Cuts Ricks hand off after Rick punched him

2. Tortures and rapes Michonne repeatedly

3. Puts Glenn in the room next to Michonne to listen to what happens to her, to get him to crack (I thought that was a genius way to break Glenn since he knew Michonne & Rick wouldn't crack).

4. Puts Michonne in the arena.

5. Puts heads in fish tanks for TV's

6. Keeps his neice as a pet and feeds her dead people

7. Ripped out her teeth so he can kiss the zombie

8. Pulls off the Darth Vader let them escape plan that almost works

9. All the while leading a whole town without them knowing he's a killer.

They have skipped 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 with the TV Governor.

I thought they were going to do #3 last night with Glenn forced to listen to Maggie attacked, but they didn't go that far. #6 is 1/2 way there. As Penny is there, but they didn't show him feeding her the pilots. There is still a chance for #8... but yeah it seems like a tamer version on TV.

Plus the comic version seemed more crazy and spontaneous. The TV Governor is more logical and calculating. 2c

Regarding Penny:

Ryan

+1

I got caught up with three episodes last night, because the football was so frickin' lame. I think the re-imagined Governor is awesome. Why not have him be a charming (and as Michonne said) "Jim Jones-type" leader. Charismatic and outwardly affable. But we can see his mind is like a bag of eels and it will be sweet when he finally goes batspit crazy.

The other thing that I love, that others might see as cheesy, is that basically the main band is being set up as superheroic - Andrea leaping off the fence to kill the walker - Glenn taking supreme punishment, then killing a walker like Drew Barrymore in Charlie's Angels - The Governor saying that 10 people did what Merle said was impossible.

I don't read the comics, but I've heard enough about them (I have friends that read them) to know that the Governor was a pretty scary dude in the comics. On the TV show? Different story.

I mean, yeah he's the "bad guy" but is he really that "bad"? Sure he has a collection of heads he keeps, and he is a shady guy....but I don't FEAR him, like the governor in the comics (so I've heard). This guy just doesn't seem that evil. I was hoping that he would have done SOMETHING this epidsode to make us, as the audience, really fear him. I thought the scene with Maggie should have gone "all the way" so to speak. He needs to do something that makes me hate him, and want to see him burn for all that he has done.

But nope. Lost opportunity. I'll continue to watch and know he's the bad guy simply by his comic book reputation alone.

+1

The comic reads faster, so maybe that helped too. But the comic Governor definitely was an evil badass character that was to be feared. The TV Governor is ok, but isn't as scary yet. 2c

Comic Governor:

3. Puts Glenn in the room next to Michonne to listen to what happens to her, to get him to crack (I thought that was a genius way to break Glenn since he knew Michonne & Rick wouldn't crack).

I thought they were going to do #3 last night with Glenn forced to listen to Maggie attacked, but they didn't go that far. #6 is 1/2 way there. As Penny is there, but they didn't show him feeding her the pilots. There is still a chance for #8... but yeah it seems like a tamer version on TV.

Plus the comic version seemed more crazy and spontaneous. The TV Governor is more logical and calculating. 2c

I feel let down. Really bad things should have happened to Maggie this past episode. We are seeing how far the producers are allowed to push it... and its not very far. Makes me wish that the show was on HBO or Showtime.

+1

Comic Governor:

I feel let down. Really bad things should have happened to Maggie this past episode. We are seeing how far the producers are allowed to push it... and its not very far. Makes me wish that the show was on HBO or Showtime.

I disagree. The Governor planted the seeds in Glenn's mind that Maggie had been complicit. That is psychologically more satisfying than "really bad things" happening to Maggie.

Step back and reread the above out of context. lol

Good episode.

I think Merle might have a little "Vader's Redemption" in his future.

+1

Right? It's kind of off putting. I know what he means, but yeesh.

I can't see them killing off Darryl for any reason...he's the second most popular character on the show and EVERYBODY loves him. AMC is not protective of his character rights to whack him anytime soon.

Jim

I would venture he's the most popular.

Edited by NamesJay

Eh, makes more sense if it was Skin-Omax. lol