• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you tell me about the Boston and Winnipeg Pedigree collections

98 posts in this topic

I just saw the listing of the Tales of Suspense Winnipeg books...

Jeez did Showcase over grade those books! lol

I own the TOS 90 Winnipeg and it's an 8.0 from CGC. Showcase had it at NM 96. ;)

I used to get the SNE catalogs in the 1990's and bought quite a bit from them. They were using the 100 point system back then. In hindsight, most of the books I got from them graded considerably lower but in their defense this was just the way dealers graded back then. It was more about eye appeal and the Front Cover.

You coming to Baltimore Bob?

Still not ready to spend hours upon hours on my feet - will make the final decision after my followup appt with the surgeon tomorrow.

Brian -

Was the Boston AV 4 graded? What was it? Was the cover blazing white? Typical Boston "wet inks"? etc....

It was a nice book, but nothing crazy. The white was not blazing white and the inks were nice, but nothing unbelievable. I ultimately sold it because it wasn't an outstanding copy, but very nice nevertheless.

I bought a Boston from Bechara and it was not blazing. In fact I think it graded with c/ow pages and some yellowing on the cover. There were multiples of that book through from the same collection and I have seen several with exactly the same date stamp marking.

Pacific Coast books are considered 1st tier pedigrees? I was under the impression they are tarnished as MH2's - being that alot of the collection was newstand overages.

I cant confirm any of this but i read it somewhere (most likely here!)

(tsk)

The Pacific Coast collection is arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree of them all. It is usually ranked on par with if not superior to the Curator pedigree at the pinnacle of SA collections. None of it was found in a warehouse, but rather all were purchased by an original owner, and nearly every issue is represented by only a single copy.

Mentioning MH2 comics in the same sentence is a travesty.

nuff said

sic, bob, sic! :roflmao:

Pacific Coast books are considered 1st tier pedigrees? I was under the impression they are tarnished as MH2's - being that alot of the collection was newstand overages.

(tsk)

The Pacific Coast collection is arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree of them all. It is usually ranked on par with if not superior to the Curator pedigree at the pinnacle of SA collections. None of it was found in a warehouse, but rather all were purchased by an original owner, and nearly every issue is represented by only a single copy.

+5

From what's currently known about pedigrees, Pacific Coast is to the Silver Age as the Church collection is to the Golden Age--a near-complete, unbelievably high-grade set of books from multiple publishers.

Curator may have eclipsed it had it been sold all together and we knew the extent of the collection, but it was largely broken up before Hauser and then Brulato got to it and had the currently-known books slabbed, so we'll never know now unless somebody interviews the original owner, which is still possible. He may not remember which books he bought second-hand and which he originally bought either, the Curator original owner was a long-time convention goer and had a near-complete second-hand Golden Age collection he also sold off.

Mentioning MH2 comics in the same sentence [as Pacific Coast] is a travesty.

It isn't a travesty. It's sacrilegious.

It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham.

I bought a lot (and I mean A LOT) of my pre-hero Marvels directly from Joe in the early 90s -- before they were even called Winnipegs.

He was a very nice guy and we must have spent hours on the phone having him describe each book to me - all intertrined with his opining about the art and the smell of the book. I was as giddy as a school girl when my package arrived from Canada.

One of the first images I posted on these boards was the price list fax that Joe had originally sent me...I was floored when I got it.

Bill

You are one of the few people that has ever described a positive experience with Joe. He can certainly be nice but he has a less than stellar reputation in Winnipeg.

My one experience with Joe was positive in the sense that I am positive that I would never do business with him ever again.

Unfortunately great preservation and white pages don't cancel out structural defects.

That's an opinion, with which I may or may not agree, depending on the "structural defects" in question. I've seen high-grade CGC encapsulated books that I wouldn't want to own. As an example: over the past couple of years, a Colorado-based collector has put up for sale on eBay a Captain America 1, graded CGC VF+, with the most horrendous dust shadow I've seen. I would favor a mid grade copy with "structural defects" over that particular book anytime.

Conversely, I once sent in a Gaines file copy book that had huge creases on one corner, as if the box in which it had been stored had dropped on the corner. It came back CGC VF/NM. I didn't agree that book was 9.0, but its "great preservation and white pages" cancelled out it's structural defects...

All I'm saying is that a book with great reflectivity and white pages still isn't a 9.6 (or 96 in SNE's grading scale) if it's got structural defects like creases and dents.

This was my experience with most of the SA Winnipegs I bought from SNE when the collection surfaced.

(tsk)

The other thing that doesn't get mentioned about the PC books nearly enough is that the OO clearly had an eye for QP and selected books on that basis. The PC pedigree has the highest average QP of all the pedigrees that I'm aware of, by a huge margin. There are so few miswrapped books in the collection it's amazing.

I did own one of the Boston Avengers 4s at one point and it was a solid book. I've also seen the Winnipeg and the boston and like both Avengers 4, but favored the Boston only because of the lack of the writing.

Avengers 4 takes the collection back to at least early 1964. hm

Never said ALL of the Boston books are from post-1964, just the bulk of them.

I don't have any Boston peds before mid-65, but I do have a cert that I got

once (I edited out the issue number). Maybe someone can tell me something

about it?

TS-certificate.jpg

that's a certificate that Bechara handed out when selling the collection. i could have cared less, just wanted the books and couldn't be bothered to wait around while he filled those out.

that's a certificate that Bechara handed out when selling the collection. i could have cared less, just wanted the books and couldn't be bothered to wait around while he filled those out.

:o Philistine!

I don't have any Boston peds before mid-65, but I do have a cert that I got

once (I edited out the issue number). Maybe someone can tell me something

about it?

TS-certificate.jpg

Thanks and that is interesting. I have two TOS Boston Pedigree's. Neither has the card.

What grade was your TOS?

This is one of the better known Boston comics (and isn't mine):

ff55boston.jpg

Sold for 16k if I remember correctly.

Didn't a 9.6 Rocky Mountain copy sell for almost the same?