• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics are are the political whipping boy again.

19 posts in this topic

lol

lollol

In before the political lock....
Are you serious?

I can't even show a link?

You b@stard - you're going to ruin it for everyone :sumo:

My guess is that this particular politician likely barely knows how to read. Seriously, she has a 5 year old in the ad reading Previews, who the heck read Previews?

Funny thing is, when comics were at their height of readership in the 40s and 50s they were being read by children, many of whom had parents that were illiterate or semi-literate (in english at least) and, as a whole, the country did a pretty decent job of producing a literate generation there.

This politician and her ad makers are really ignorant. The picture should have been of kids staring at some dopey cartoon on TV. that's what would actually happen and those (many of them) really are illiteracy makers. It drives me crazy when I come home and the babysitter has one of these idiotic manga-esque cartoons or sponge bob on (yes, i've watched plenty of sponge bob, i don't see anything redeeming in it for a 5 year old, maybe a 20 year old college student after enough bong hits might get something out of it. Problem is because her english sux she doesn't really understand what's going on (and don't give me any grief, she has a green card, she's married to a u.s. citizen...), she doesn't seem to know the difference between those idioic cartoons and something that might be useful like Sid the Science Kid or Word World, which my kid likes too. Heck, even Backyardigans has something to learn in it (and I like their song and dance routines).

I think the only way this thread will get bounced is if this turns into an actual political discussion (parties, ideologies, et al), opposed to a thread focusing on the demonizing of comics and youth.

If anyone wants to contact Nancy King and inform her of her desperately ill conceived and ignorant attempt to paint comics as poison to children, you can say hello to her here.

People like this must not get out much :screwy: