• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest Bronze Age Marvels?

101 posts in this topic

Here was part of the email I received from Doug Sulipa. I asked him, based on his experiences, how tough the Marvel reprints (as a whole) were to find in high grade:

It is my experience, that all the 1960's thru 1970's Super-Hero Reprint comics are in short supply & are TOUGH to find in High Grades. Below in particular, are the issues that are TOUGH to find in even VERY FINE, 8.0 or better;

[VF/NM, 9.0 copies of items below are SCARCE; and NM 9.4 copies are RARE];

Marvel Adventure #2-6;

Marvel Collector's Item Classics #1-22;

Marvel Double Feature #1-10;

Marvel's Greatest #23-60;

Marvel Spectacular #1-10

Marvel Super Action #1-20;

Marvel Super Heroes #1-60;

Marvel Tales #1-60;

Marvel Triple Action #1-20;

Most collectors did not bother with the above titles, because they were reprints. Most dealers mistreated them in Bargain bins. Thus 90% of the issues above on the market are in G to FN [VG is average];

After pouring through dozens of boxes at Mega-Con yesterday, I would be very inclined to agree with this assessment. The reprints are available, but not in NM; just lots of well read VGs. I found three books in high grade (two of which I already had; MGC # 35, I bought it anyway because of the cool Surfer cover, and MSH # 47 in 9.0 for Paul/Silverandbronze). The earlier squarebound books from the 66-69 era seem to be more available in high grade, but once the reprints hit the 20-cent era, they all but disappear in high grade.

Here is Paul's book, with a great Hulk transformation cover. Glad I could help out a fellow Forumite on his quest.

1078252439690_MSH47a.JPG

I've got an opportunity to buy sets of Marvel Tales/Triple Action/Greatest Comics & Super-Heroes in a large lot buy. Basically covering from from the early to mid/late 70's , in around VF/VF- condition. Any dealers out there care to offer up a reasonable bulk price on what I should expect to pay? I can't see going over .75 cents to $1 each on this type stuff in this condition, am I out of line? Has this stuff become more collectable?

Any dealers out there care to offer up a reasonable bulk price on what I should expect to pay? I can't see going over .75 cents to $1 each on this type stuff in this condition, am I out of line? Has this stuff become more collectable?

In VF and lower, these books can be found and you shouldn't be paying too much for them ($.50 to a buck an issue sounds right). Granted, these reprint books are newfound territory for me, so take any of my advice with a grain of salt. I think the few of us on the boards who actively seek out these reprint books try to find NM or better copies, which is proving to be a challenge. Still, I haven't encountered a dealer who wants to charge me multiples to buy even a NM marvel reprint...I think they are happy to just move the stuff, even at the low Overstreet Guide price. Let's hope it stays that way. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks for the reply. On a similar note, I've been putting together a set of the "picture box" covers that Marvel ran on all their books from late 1971 til November of 1972. Anybody know of a complete listing on the internet of all the books that had this cover design?

Here are some more original cover Marvel reprints.

BTW, there are probably some more original covers prior to these but since my collection started in 1970-71 I only have the lists since then.

MGC 34-41,58,81

MDF 1,5,7,9,11,13,15,16,18,19

MSA 7,11

HT 1-8

SME 5-9

Here is Paul's book, with a great Hulk transformation cover. Glad I could help out a fellow Forumite on his quest.

1078252439690_MSH47a.JPG

Hey Jive, got the book today and it is BEEEEEAUTIFUL. Nicest copy I've ever seen of this, and you managed to find 2 in a week. Thanks again. Kudos to you.

Now, we all know 10 9.0+ will show up this week on ebay.

Im still stuck on X-Men #94! tonofbricks.gif Guess I just havent found that right copy yet! confused-smiley-013.gif

1078252439690_MSH47a.JPG

Hey Jive, got the book today and it is BEEEEEAUTIFUL. Nicest copy I've ever seen of this, and you managed to find 2 in a week. Thanks again. Kudos to you.

Glad I could help out. acclaim.gif

And yep, I found two 9.0s+ in a week....of course, my luck isn't quite the same with lottery tickets. crazy.gif

It looks like a recreation - any info inside the indicia you can share? Also it may have been a Marvel legends insert with an iron man figure? but usually those have no price... I'm puzzled...need more info on the inside: indicia data, time period of ads (are they from 1977? or are they advertising PSX2 and Xbox games?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif