• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most sought-after Copper Age Batman books

153 posts in this topic

What the hell happened to this thread? Both Bronty and RMA had compelling arguments. Quite frankly both were arguing a different standard. DKR is the most influential and certainly most important for ongoing posterity and contribution to batman lore.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, in batman history has ever even come close to the hype surrounding 426-429, and 428 was the eye of the storm. I had to resort to hitting newstands to try and get copies, and most of them were savvy enough that they did not put their copies out for sale either. In Indy, I never could get my hands on any copies of any of them except 429, which I got from a downtown newstand owner, on a Sunday about 7:30 a.m. if I recall correctly, that my dad had known for years.

I didn't get my first copies of 426-428 until 1997 long after the other shoe had fallen for the comic market. Death in the family was also the first trade paperback I ever purchased, out of necessity. I was vaguely underwhelmed by the story, as I had assumed the story would exceed the hype. lol

So, in sum, as is often the case, it comes down to what "sought-after" means. If it means sought after in terms of intellectual stimulation and progress of Batman as an icon, go DKR. If sought after means, making a teenager willing to get up at 7:30 on a Sunday to try and track down copies of floppies, the winner is Death in the family.

Didn't really think of it that way. I mentioned the Don Newton issues because I "sought" them at the time they came out. I greatly enjoyed his work. Having read your post, I see that this could mean scarcity, major keys, or even grails. hm

What the hell happened to this thread? Both Bronty and RMA had compelling arguments. Quite frankly both were arguing a different standard. DKR is the most influential and certainly most important for ongoing posterity and contribution to batman lore.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, in batman history has ever even come close to the hype surrounding 426-429, and 428 was the eye of the storm. I had to resort to hitting newstands to try and get copies, and most of them were savvy enough that they did not put their copies out for sale either. In Indy, I never could get my hands on any copies of any of them except 429, which I got from a downtown newstand owner, on a Sunday about 7:30 a.m. if I recall correctly, that my dad had known for years.

I didn't get my first copies of 426-428 until 1997 long after the other shoe had fallen for the comic market. Death in the family was also the first trade paperback I ever purchased, out of necessity. I was vaguely underwhelmed by the story, as I had assumed the story would exceed the hype. lol

So, in sum, as is often the case, it comes down to what "sought-after" means. If it means sought after in terms of intellectual stimulation and progress of Batman as an icon, go DKR. If sought after means, making a teenager willing to get up at 7:30 on a Sunday to try and track down copies of floppies, the winner is Death in the family.

Wrong thread, ginger... :P:makepoint:lol

But, yeah, 426-429 were huge.... in 1989. This is 2010.

:gossip: 1988, too....

Prima facie evidence that I am a dork!! I thought all that debate was in this thread and got cut out.

:gossip: 1988, too....

doh!

I grew up in a small town where my only comic options was Archie titles, Richie Rich and Disney stuff. When I moved a way to go to university (1990-92) I started going to an actual comic shop, the first back issues I purchased was Batman 'Death In The Family 1-4. I paid around $25 each for them with #1 being around $40. However I remember how much I loved the story. It was my first real comic purchase and it is still one of my favorites.

It has been said before that Batman is the only DC title that acts like a Marvel title, and it's still been an uphill battle for a long time. There's simply not the demand, even for the most in-demand DC character of all, for back issues.

Sad but true.

----------------------

not so true for late 60s and a lot of the 70's, depending on the artist. obviously there's good demand for the neal adams stuff, but I've done well with Wrightson, sometimes with aparo, Marshal Rogers, Kaluta and not just in high grade...yes, it can be artist driven and cover driven as well.

It has been said before that Batman is the only DC title that acts like a Marvel title, and it's still been an uphill battle for a long time. There's simply not the demand, even for the most in-demand DC character of all, for back issues.

Sad but true.

----------------------

not so true for late 60s and a lot of the 70's, depending on the artist. obviously there's good demand for the neal adams stuff, but I've done well with Wrightson, sometimes with aparo, Marshal Rogers, Kaluta and not just in high grade...yes, it can be artist driven and cover driven as well.

Oh please. Spiderman of similar age and condition outsells Bats all day long.

(thumbs u

Sad but true.

----------------------

(thumbs u

That's because everyone has a better chance of being bitten by a radioactive spider than to be a rich crime fighting super hero type. They can identify. :eyeroll:

This wasn't meant to be focused on which books are most expensive. That's too easy a discussion to wrap up just by posting details from GPA or Overstreet pages.

I was meaning what Batman books from the Copper Age come up as the most desired. Batman 428 is a book people seek, but for long-term desire who knows? Collectors can be so fickle.

I lean more towards my original list, though I would also add:

Batman 386 - 1st Black Mask.

23067-796-25730-1-batman_super.jpg

Batman 400 - So many creators contributed to this single issue, it makes for a great signature book.

24459-796-27222-1-batman_super.jpg

This wasn't meant to be focused on which books are most expensive. That's too easy a discussion to wrap up just by posting details from GPA or Overstreet pages.

I was meaning what Batman books from the Copper Age come up as the most desired. Batman 428 is a book people seek, but for long-term desire who knows? Collectors can be so fickle.

Batman 400 - So many creators contributed to this single issue, it makes for a great signature book.

I always thought Black Mask was Ho-Hum. Maybe I should go back and re-read them. hm

Sad but true.

----------------------

(thumbs u

That's because everyone has a better chance of being bitten by a radioactive spider than to be a rich crime fighting super hero type. They can identify. :eyeroll:

Hey, I don't know why that is, either. I think Bats is the bee's knees, and PP is a wussy whiner, but that's me. The facts remain nonetheless.

Sad but true.

----------------------

(thumbs u

Hey, I don't know why that is, either. I think Bats is the bee's knees, and PP is a wussy whiner, but that's me. The facts remain nonetheless.

PP, while he may be a wussy whiner, has been with hotties; Gwen, MJ, Felicia Hardy, etc...

Bruce has been with Richard Grayson, Jason Todd, and Tim whatever. He pushes off the advances of Catwoman, Poison Ivy, etc...

Spidey wins.

Sad but true.

----------------------

(thumbs u

PP, while he may be a wussy whiner, has been with hotties; Gwen, MJ, Felicia Hardy, etc...

Bruce has been with Richard Grayson, Jason Todd, and Tim whatever. He pushes off the advances of Catwoman, Poison Ivy, etc...

Spidey wins.

You forgot to mention Alfred.

Sad but true.

----------------------

(thumbs u

Spidey wins.

I'd rather hang out with a gay guy who can kick my arse than a straight guy who endlessly whines about his lovelife....

I would have to argue that Bat 428 belongs on the list ... people have now been looking for this book off and on for 20 years.

I also think that Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns should be on the list. The only other ones I would add, although they're technically late Bronze, is Adventure Comics 461 and 462, along with Brave and Bold 197. (But I've always loved the Earth 1 vs. Earth 2 heroes).