• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the knowledgeable ones

54 posts in this topic

I think there is a generation of us who subscribed to CBG in the 70's and 80's and that opened up fandom in general for a lot of us.

I always found the Comics Journal to be dense reading back then as well. More cerebral.

Cursed Birate Girl? hm

I think there is a generation of us who subscribed to CBG in the 70's and 80's and that opened up fandom in general for a lot of us.

I always found the Comics Journal to be dense reading back then as well. More cerebral.

Cursed Birate Girl? hm

Comic Buyer's Guide :makepoint:

(When it was a weekly newspaper.)

Cursed Birate Girl? hm

I've got to work on my sarcasm.

Joke fail. :sorry:

Cursed Birate Girl? hm

I thought it was Comics Brice Guide...

Drunk, British and stupid is no way to go through life.

I think I only fit two of those criteria hm

Yeah, but I wouldn't have been able to paraphrase Animal House with only two.

I just realised, I am British. Your paraphrase is legitimate :cry:

I fit two as well. hm

:roflmao:

Your parachute is faulty though.

My mom bought Archie comics for me from time to time and then I came across 5 comics (that I still own today) at a flea market. They were Bronze age. 2 Wonder Womans, 2 Legion of Super-Heroes and one Whitman Daisy and Donald (which I LOVE :grin: ) and I went to the local comic shop to learn about bags/boards etc. The rest came from online, mainly comicspriceguide.com

I read comics from an early age, learned from my father that the old ones were "worth something", and got an OSPG in '77. Soon after a comic book store opened in my neighborhood and all hell broke loose.

In this order:

• My dad, who never failed to bring home from work a few books every week.

• Jules Feiffer--By the time I was 5 (1969), I knew more about GA books than most of the U.S. population. And that was just from reading the reprint section of The Great Comic Book Heroes. I must have been 8 or 9 before I could really understand the text chapters.

• ]Bob Overstreet--by the time I was 11, I would beg my mom to ditch me at the library while she shopped. I would sit there and study each and every page of the guide.

• CBG--it was really the only way to know what other collectors, esp. older collectors and those in other parts of the country were doing. I used to scrounge every copy I could (I'd never pay), and it didn't matter if it was a week old--you just learned a tremendous amount every week.

• DC's 100 pagers

Everything I know about the Golden Age, I learned from Comic Book Marketplace and Alter Ego.

A lot of great stories in these magazines -- Gold and Silver. (thumbs u

And some of the covers, alone, are worth "the price of admission".

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

Jules Feiffer--By the time I was 5 (1969), I knew more about GA books than most of the U.S. population. And that was just from reading the reprint section of The Great Comic Book Heroes. I must have been 8 or 9 before I could really understand the text chapters.

:thumbsup:

That book, along with the reprint anthologies like BATMAN/SUPERMAN: FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES, the DC 100 pagers, and the Famous First Editions really made me interested in the Golden Age when I was really young. And yes, Feiffer's chapters were very hard to understand for a little kid-especially when he talked about Wertham and his reasons for disliking Batman and Wonder Woman! :blush:

Everything I know about the Golden Age, I learned from Comic Book Marketplace and Alter Ego.

A lot of great stories in these magazines -- Gold and Silver. (thumbs u

And some of the covers, alone, are worth "the price of admission".

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

Worth their weight in gold ( and silver). GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u