• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the chances that the WALKING DEAD could become reality?

42 posts in this topic

I figure this is a fairly acceptable thread for my first post here.

Could the Walking Dead become reality? Yes, but it wouldn't involve the "undead". This was actually the topic I wrote my Junior Thesis on in college last year, because at the time I was really interested in the possibility of creating a "zombie" disease.

The virus would have to be transferable in order to actually cause a widespread epidemic. In addition, to fulfill the zombie aspect, it would have to be transferable through a bite. Furthermore, the virus would have to cause some sort of insanity or loss of rationality in order to cause humans to run rampant and infect others. Rabies is the only current virus that we know of, that has all these characteristics. The problem of course, is that rabies causes massive dehydration, thus resulting in death. At this stage, the "zombies" could only last several days.

The solution however, is in a another virus (the name slips my mind at the moment). By altering the genetic structure of this virus, the dehydration problem is solved due to the saturation of fluids in the body and the combination of sweat. These zombies wouldn't live for more than maybe a few weeks at the most, and couldn't survive gunshot wounds as they would still need all their internal organs to function, but it's as close to zombies as we can get with our current scientific findings.

The only problem? Altering the second virus would involve an extreme level of proficiency in that field, along with the funds required to acquire samples and lab equipment.

Is it likely? Of course not. Is it theoretically possible? I tend to think so.

Perhaps I'll put that thesis online at some point....

Dupcack shill

This is probably the stupidest discussion thread on CGC. You actually want to discuss if the living dead will take over earth? Is it April already?

I guess if it does Superman will look after us :applause:.

Rumor has it, it's a Kryptonian virus that starts the zombie plague and Supes was the carrier. He's now immune to it under the yellow sun but the rest of us are FUUUUUDDDGED!!!

This is probably the stupidest discussion thread on CGC. You actually want to discuss if the living dead will take over earth? Is it April already?

:gossip: I started this thread as a frustrated way of pointing out what Boozad stated here in a clearer and more concise manner.

:gossip: I started this thread as a frustrated way of pointing out what Boozad stated here in a clearer and more concise manner.

some people just don't "get the joke" jason. that's all.

some people just don't "get the joke" Bad at jokes, jason. that's all.

Fixed that for you, Jay! (thumbs u

It will happen, some day :wishluck:

I still remember a line from the movie Leviathan

don't F with mother nature

What's stupider? This post or the fact that someone is actually crossing their fingers that it happens?

I vote the latter. (thumbs u

Could the Walking Dead become reality? Yes, but it wouldn't involve the "undead". This was actually the topic I wrote my Junior Thesis on in college last year, because at the time I was really interested in the possibility of creating a "zombie" disease.

mad-scientist.jpg

Coincidence????

Friday, Sept 3rd, 2010.

A world-renowned Texas scientist specializing in infectious diseases who was once charged with smuggling dangerous samples of plague bacteria into the U.S. was questioned by authorities after a suspicious item found in his luggage caused a massive evacuation at Miami International Airport Thursday night.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Convicted-Disease-Doc-Questioned-in-MIA-Scare-102151329.html

mad-scientist.jpg

Coincidence????

Friday, Sept 3rd, 2010.

A world-renowned Texas scientist specializing in infectious diseases who was once charged with smuggling dangerous samples of plague bacteria into the U.S. was questioned by authorities after a suspicious item found in his luggage caused a massive evacuation at Miami International Airport Thursday night.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Convicted-Disease-Doc-Questioned-in-MIA-Scare-102151329.html

Reminds me of the movie with the crazy guy in the apartment complex and the experiments he was working on that broke loose and caused people to become "zombified" with some sort of advanced rabies virus. Forgot the name of it.