• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the chances that the WALKING DEAD could become reality?

42 posts in this topic

If it does I am heading to Jerel house he is very prepared!

:applause:

Wait until I air my next Facebook video demo, I'm shooting tomorrow. (thumbs u

:ohnoez: I need more zombies!

And I need your address :eek:

Dude...he's got cats. Didn't you read the Cracked article? The cats are the catalyst to the plague. He won't make it past day two.

Dude...he's got cats. Didn't you read the Cracked article? The cats are the catalyst to the plague. He won't make it past day two.

Back down to one, after helping to save nineteen. So, I'm probably doomed.

"Don't Open. Cats Inside"

:roflmao:

If this were a Stephen King novel, as the most likely one to be prepared and survive, you'd probably be dead already.

If this were a Stephen King novel, as the most likely one to be prepared and survive, you'd probably be dead already.

Ayuh, I reckon so. :(

No.

as evidenced by...?

He needs evidence that he doesn't think a zombie apocalypse is headed our way??? lol

Throw me into the camp that says it will never happen but this website may change my mind...

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

A similar article which leads to believe IF it happens, it won't last long.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

I figure this is a fairly acceptable thread for my first post here.

Could the Walking Dead become reality? Yes, but it wouldn't involve the "undead". This was actually the topic I wrote my Junior Thesis on in college last year, because at the time I was really interested in the possibility of creating a "zombie" disease.

The virus would have to be transferable in order to actually cause a widespread epidemic. In addition, to fulfill the zombie aspect, it would have to be transferable through a bite. Furthermore, the virus would have to cause some sort of insanity or loss of rationality in order to cause humans to run rampant and infect others. Rabies is the only current virus that we know of, that has all these characteristics. The problem of course, is that rabies causes massive dehydration, thus resulting in death. At this stage, the "zombies" could only last several days.

The solution however, is in a another virus (the name slips my mind at the moment). By altering the genetic structure of this virus, the dehydration problem is solved due to the saturation of fluids in the body and the combination of sweat. These zombies wouldn't live for more than maybe a few weeks at the most, and couldn't survive gunshot wounds as they would still need all their internal organs to function, but it's as close to zombies as we can get with our current scientific findings.

The only problem? Altering the second virus would involve an extreme level of proficiency in that field, along with the funds required to acquire samples and lab equipment.

Is it likely? Of course not. Is it theoretically possible? I tend to think so.

Perhaps I'll put that thesis online at some point....

Could the Walking Dead become reality? Yes, but it wouldn't involve the "undead". This was actually the topic I wrote my Junior Thesis on in college last year, because at the time I was really interested in the possibility of creating a "zombie" disease.

The virus would have to be transferable in order to actually cause a widespread epidemic. In addition, to fulfill the zombie aspect, it would have to be transferable through a bite. Furthermore, the virus would have to cause some sort of insanity or loss of rationality in order to cause humans to run rampant and infect others. Rabies is the only current virus that we know of, that has all these characteristics. The problem of course, is that rabies causes massive dehydration, thus resulting in death. At this stage, the "zombies" could only last several days.

The solution however, is in a another virus (the name slips my mind at the moment). By altering the genetic structure of this virus, the dehydration problem is solved due to the saturation of fluids in the body and the combination of sweat. These zombies wouldn't live for more than maybe a few weeks at the most, and couldn't survive gunshot wounds as they would still need all their internal organs to function, but it's as close to zombies as we can get with our current scientific findings.

The only problem? Altering the second virus would involve an extreme level of proficiency in that field, along with the funds required to acquire samples and lab equipment.

Most Frightening First Post EVER!!! ^^

:eek: