• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For me, The Copper Age began....

129 posts in this topic

Personally, I think Cerebus #1 (1977) has more in common with the Copper Age TMNT's than most anything from the Bronze Age.

Um, the early Cerebus issues were based almost entirely off the BWS Conan run. It was like a big BA parody series.

Personally, I think Cerebus #1 (1977) has more in common with the Copper Age TMNT's than most anything from the Bronze Age.

Um, the early Cerebus issues were based almost entirely off the BWS Conan run. It was like a big BA parody series.

And, it's actually not until the beginning of High Society....in 1981....that Cerebus became the serious series for which it is famed.

The atom age will eventually be integrated with the Golden age (many just look at it that way even now). 1955 might very well be the end of the Ga period in time.

I really doubt Bronze will leap into the 60s. Time frames move forward because there is a starting point. 1970 to many is considered the very last year of silver even now.

I've had a tendency to start Bronze in the long running Marvels like FF and ASM with the cover price change to 15 cents. I am sure that that is earlier than many will be comfortable with, but it always felt reasonable and easy to me. Not sure when it happened, but I think that was in 1968.

:bump:

Some great discussion on this topic.

Updated Copper Age Transition Timeline:

May 1979: Daredevil 158- First Miller art

Nov 1979: Iron Man #128 "Demon in a Bottle"

Feb 1980: She-Hulk #1

Mar 1980: King Conan 1

Apr 1980: Star Trek 1

Spring 1980: Epic Illustrated 1

Sep 1980: X-Men 137- Death of Dark Phoenix

Oct 1980: DC Presents 26- first New Teen Titans

Nov 1980: New Teen Titans 1

Nov 1980: Moon Knight gets his own series

1980 : Superboy Spectacular- Direct Sales only 1-shot

Jan 1981: Daredevil 168- First Miller -script; Intro Elektra

Jan 1981: X-Men 141- Days of Future Past launches alternate time line that would form the basis for lots of uber-fandom-based X-continuity over the next several years

Jan 1981: Capital Comics launches and publishes Nexus 1

Mar 1981: X-Men 143- Final Claremont/Byrne

Mar 1981: Dazzler 1- First direct-sales-only for an ongoing series

Mar 1981: Bizarre Adventures starts

Mar 1981: Captain Canuck is cancelled

May 1981: Eclipse Magazine starts

June 1981: The Hulk magazine ends

Jul 1981: Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981: Rogue debuts

Aug 1981: Marvel Premiere ends

Nov 1981: Captain Victory 1- First Pacific Comics issue, direct-only publisher

1981: Marvel cancels many of its reprint titles, including MGC, AA, TTA, MSA, etc.

1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge

March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1

June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel Mini, precursor to Secret Wars)

Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts

Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1

1982: Harvey Comics, Warren Publishing and Spire Comics cease operations

1982: DC cancels remaining Horror titles

1982: Start of creator royalties at Marvel and DC

1982: Steve Geppi founds Diamond

1982: Marvel introduces Graphic Novel series, including Death of Captain Marvel and X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

Good points, but I guess I should have clarified, as I wasn't thinking in terms of content.

As a B&W, independent, creator owned comic, it feels more Copper than Bronze, to me.

I agree, the book has always felt more "Copper" to me.

:bump:

Some great discussion on this topic.

Updated Copper Age Transition Timeline:

May 1979: Daredevil 158- First Miller art

Nov 1979: Iron Man #128 "Demon in a Bottle"

Feb 1980: She-Hulk #1

Mar 1980: King Conan 1

Apr 1980: Star Trek 1

Spring 1980: Epic Illustrated 1

Sep 1980: X-Men 137- Death of Dark Phoenix

Oct 1980: DC Presents 26- first New Teen Titans

Nov 1980: New Teen Titans 1

Nov 1980: Moon Knight gets his own series

1980 : Superboy Spectacular- Direct Sales only 1-shot

Jan 1981: Daredevil 168- First Miller -script; Intro Elektra

Jan 1981: X-Men 141- Days of Future Past launches alternate time line that would form the basis for lots of uber-fandom-based X-continuity over the next several years

Jan 1981: Capital Comics launches and publishes Nexus 1

Mar 1981: X-Men 143- Final Claremont/Byrne

Mar 1981: Dazzler 1- First direct-sales-only for an ongoing series

Mar 1981: Bizarre Adventures starts

Mar 1981: Captain Canuck is cancelled

May 1981: Eclipse Magazine starts

June 1981: The Hulk magazine ends

Jul 1981: Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981: Rogue debuts

Aug 1981: Marvel Premiere ends

Nov 1981: Captain Victory 1- First Pacific Comics issue, direct-only publisher

1981: Marvel cancels many of its reprint titles, including MGC, AA, TTA, MSA, etc.

1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge

March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1

June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel Mini, precursor to Secret Wars)

Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts

Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1

1982: Harvey Comics, Warren Publishing and Spire Comics cease operations

1982: DC cancels remaining Horror titles

1982: Start of creator royalties at Marvel and DC

1982: Steve Geppi founds Diamond

1982: Marvel introduces Graphic Novel series, including Death of Captain Marvel and X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

Great timeline and a real good look at the big changes that went on the first couple of years of that decade.

By 1981, paid circulation of Spider-man had dropped by 80,000 from 1970, so I can imagine that Daredevil had REALLY suffered by the time Miller got the chance to work on it.

It may have started out with a 'Bronze' feel, but a lot of us remember picking it up again after years of ignoring it, just because it looked a felt like something newer and better. Same with the Fantastic Four.

Marvel's first limited series, Contest of Champions in '82 (yes DC had a Superman limited series in 1979 called World of Krypton, #1 in July, as well as Untold Legend of the Batman in 1980 (#1 July), that isn't included in the timeline above, but that didn't start the trend in my opinion, that would be the almost annual big event in Marvel and DC for decades that included much of their universe). The big limited edition series is in my opinion the start of the CA, but I think the first Independant Direct Market issue (as well as Dazzler from Marvel even earlier) from Pacific Comics six months earier as well as Nexus #1 by Capital Comics in Jan. 1981 are also important events that all should be included in this era...

The atom age will eventually be integrated with the Golden age (many just look at it that way even now). 1955 might very well be the end of the Ga period in time.

I really doubt Bronze will leap into the 60s. Time frames move forward because there is a starting point. 1970 to many is considered the very last year of silver even now.

I've had a tendency to start Bronze in the long running Marvels like FF and ASM with the cover price change to 15 cents. I am sure that that is earlier than many will be comfortable with, but it always felt reasonable and easy to me. Not sure when it happened, but I think that was in 1968.

I'd have t agree....I always considered Conan 1 to be Marvels first true BA book and GL/GA to be D.C.'s.....both 15 centers. I also agree with JC's copper timeline...right on the money. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u