• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help question regarding 9/11 and comics

83 posts in this topic

We were at war with Japan and Germany. We are not at war with Islam, nor are we at war with any country. Even in the two countries we are curerently having comat in, we are not at war with the country itself.

It's no different than the 50's and 60's fights with communists. Not everyone was a communist in a given country...

Comics still portrayed the communists in comics across different countries.

Iron man had a lot of that.

Check the Captain America 2002 series by John Cassiday and John Reiber.

I will check it out thanks

Who is your Av? She looks like a gymnast I know....

I haven't updated my profile in years, probably around the time of the Summer Olympics. Her name is Alicia Sacramone

I will post the only redeeming thing possible in the thread like this...

I propose you change the avatar over...to Allison Stokke

AllisonStokke-Track_display_image.jpg

Check the Captain America 2002 series by John Cassiday and John Reiber.

I will check it out thanks

Who is your Av? She looks like a gymnast I know....

I haven't updated my profile in years, probably around the time of the Summer Olympics. Her name is Alicia Sacramone

I will post the only redeeming thing possible in the thread like this...

I propose you change the avatar over...to Allison Stokke

AllisonStokke-Track_display_image.jpg

Now THAT'S a body.

Forget all that "real women have curves" junk. :baiting:

Look at the rest of her google images. She's plenty curvy and may have just taken the fing crown away from Gina Carano.

We both know that curvy in that context means chub.

This girl's curves are granite cut. :cloud9:

And yes, I'll google her all day long. She really is a babe.

First, I would suggest looking up a recent work by Art Spiegelman (of Maus fame) called "In the Shadow of the Towers." It isn't superhero related but it is a graphic representation of the events of 9/11. You can also find a graphic novel representation of the 9/11 report. I haven't personally read that one yet, but I image it'd be an interesting resource.

Secondly, I'd recommend your friend to give ProjectMuse a look-see. It's an online database (which s/he should be able to access via university library online) which contains many of the different journals and articles of the last 10-15 years. I found very helpful while doing some comic-related graduate work during my MA and Ph.D programs.

Lastly, I'd suggest that your friend will probably want to look for parallel storylines which doesn't necessarily have overt religious fundamentalist ties. While some of the comic storylines and characters aren't necessarily subtle all of the time, there are some veiled comparisons being made (i.e. Nitro from the Civil War storyline // suicide bombers of 9/11). Although he doesn't fit the profile for what is often perpetrated as a terrorist in popular media today, Nitro's behaviors do have some similarities which could be used to make a reasonable generalization or two.

Anyhow, hope that helps!

The subject has been avoided completely, and much like the rest of the press only christians are allowed to be villianized. I could point you in that direction if you wished.

I would LOVE to see examples of Christians being villified in mainstream comics! Please link if possible.

*When I say I'd love to see it, I don't mean "hooray Christians being villified!", I mean I'm interested.

Preacher.....

His grandma was a pretty good villain.

:grin:

Oh yes! I remember that one!

If you're going to look at the whole Vertigo line I'm sure you would find a lot of anti-religious sentiment. That's simply because there are a lot of intelligent, mature writers working on those titles, who are statistically more likely to be atheist/agnostic and have a dislike of religion (no judgement here, just a statistical fact that intelligence and education correlate strongly with atheism). That sort of anti-religious sentiment isn't reserved for Christianity, it applies to all religion.

lol always ready to bash on religion

Look at the rest of her google images. She's plenty curvy and may have just taken the fing crown away from Gina Carano.

She is smokin hot. (worship)

First, I would suggest looking up a recent work by Art Spiegelman (of Maus fame) called "In the Shadow of the Towers." It isn't superhero related but it is a graphic representation of the events of 9/11. You can also find a graphic novel representation of the 9/11 report. I haven't personally read that one yet, but I image it'd be an interesting resource.

Secondly, I'd recommend your friend to give ProjectMuse a look-see. It's an online database (which s/he should be able to access via university library online) which contains many of the different journals and articles of the last 10-15 years. I found very helpful while doing some comic-related graduate work during my MA and Ph.D programs.

Lastly, I'd suggest that your friend will probably want to look for parallel storylines which doesn't necessarily have overt religious fundamentalist ties. While some of the comic storylines and characters aren't necessarily subtle all of the time, there are some veiled comparisons being made (i.e. Nitro from the Civil War storyline // suicide bombers of 9/11). Although he doesn't fit the profile for what is often perpetrated as a terrorist in popular media today, Nitro's behaviors do have some similarities which could be used to make a reasonable generalization or two.

Anyhow, hope that helps!

Thank You for your insight Mac Man I must say in posting this thread I expected a quick delete but it ended up turning out okay I am sure she will get something out of this I will search through Project Muse nice comparison of Nitro!. lol at my avatar derailing the thread to who is the hottest gymnast.

Is this you asking around earlier this year? If not, it may be helpful:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:69W9vL6qSjkJ:forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D317111+authority+comic+book+terrorists&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(It's cached that way b/c I thought I remembered something like this in The Authority. Then again, The Authority kicked everyone's azz.)

Is this you asking around earlier this year? If not, it may be helpful:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:69W9vL6qSjkJ:forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D317111+authority+comic+book+terrorists&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(It's cached that way b/c I thought I remembered something like this in The Authority. Then again, The Authority kicked everyone's azz.)

No that is not me I wish I was going for my Ph.D but thanks that thread has some good information on it!

We were at war with Japan and Germany. We are not at war with Islam, nor are we at war with any country. Even in the two countries we are curerently having comat in, we are not at war with the country itself.

It's no different than the 50's and 60's fights with communists. Not everyone was a communist in a given country...

Comics still portrayed the communists in comics across different countries.

Iron man had a lot of that.

It's very different from then. In that era, anyone who was a communist was working to overthrow this country and our way of life. In todays world, the vast majority of Muslims are not. I guess you honestly don't see much the difference, based on your previous track record of just not getting things.