• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, what's the lowdown on Fiction House?

149 posts in this topic

Here's what I put in a PM to a boardie not too long ago. Feel free to discuss -

"The "problem" with Fiction House jungle books is that:

1) any issue of Jungle and Jumbo over issue # 100 (give or take) is generally plentiful, i.e., not that hard to come by and for these long runs, the earlier the issue, the better. The art was better and you get a higher page count. The # 142 I am getting from you is probably a 36-pager, not a 52-pager. For minimally more $$, I can get a 52-page comic book instead. The thing working against late run issue being worth more is that NONE of the stories in the Jungle books are memorable so any given issue is as desirable as another mainly.

Then, again, within the Big 6, there is a pecking order of desirability: Planets are tops, early Fights second (Rangers is less collected than Fight), then the Jungle / Jumbo books and last is Wings (except the GGA issues from 90 to 110 or thereabout).

2) Any non-Big 6 Fiction House book (i.e., non: Jungle / Jumbo / Fight / Rangers / Planet / Wings) is generally less desirable (the exception being Ghost maybe) so that Sheenas don't sell as easily, Ka'a'nga is pretty much dead in the water but is still better than Wambi, Indians, Firehair, Long Bow, ..."

Yep, I've picked up some Firehairs and Long Bows in wonderful quality for next to nothing. Some of the cover art is a knockout, though. Really nice stuff.

The "problem" on these from a reader's standpoint is you have to be careful b/c these spin-off titles are full of reprints. For example, many of the Ka'a'nga stories in his own title are reprint from Jungle issues from the 60's through 80's issue numbers. Same with Firehair, the title reprints early Firehair stories from Rangers. I imagine the same happens for Long Bow and Wambi. Indians seems to be mostly new material and I have no idea for Sheena but I'd bet they are reprints. In fact, Ghost is also full of reprints. For that matter so are the late run Planets. People gush over the Whitman covers and rightfully so but starting with Planet 65 (IIRC), the book is a reprint book, going back and reprinting Planet starting with issue # 21.

Nevertheless, the covers are nice.

The Planets look awesome, and having seen a bunch in person recently I was very tempted to put them on my list eventually, but...

What's the feeling about (apparently) so many of those great covers being swipes / "resuses" of earlier Planet Stories pulp covers? I have to say when someone posted some comparisons in another thread recently, it dampened my enthusiasm for the comics a bit.

No negative feelings ... and to be honest, it's not as prevalent as you portray it. Moreover, I don't believe any of the rivet covers is a swipe of the pulp. The swipes came later and top out at maybe 10 covers out of the close to 70 issue run.

starting with Planet 65 (IIRC), the book is a reprint book, going back and reprinting Planet starting with issue # 21.
Planet 70 - 72 contain new material.

PlanetSetSm.jpg

starting with Planet 65 (IIRC), the book is a reprint book, going back and reprinting Planet starting with issue # 21.

PlanetSetSm.jpg

She blinded me...with science (fiction) (house)

PlanetSetSm.jpg

When you pass away, can I have your comics?

PlanetSetSm.jpg

back of the line mister (tsk)

AdamStrange = Norwegian

Norwegian = Viking

Viking = Funeral Pyre

You do the math :kidaround:

AdamStrange = Norwegian

Norwegian = Viking

Viking = Funeral Pyre

You do the math :kidaround:

I can't see you burning your books...I was thinking you might line your coffin with them