• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safe Deposit Box?

46 posts in this topic

I was thinking about opening a safe deposit box to store some of my comics. I know alot of folks here on the boards seem to have boxes. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I currently have my comics stored at home and just figured my homeowners policy would cover the cost if anything happened. Does anyone have any experience with theft and/or had any difficulty making a claim for comics with the insurance company? General thoughts? Trying to decide if getting a box makes sense.

SDB are awesome but, do a test first to check their temp and humidity control...

I would place one book in there (that isn't worth much) and check back in a few months

to see if there is any signs of rust on the staples.

I still check my boxes about once a month to make sure there are no changes.

I have two SDBs.

(thumbs u

Your home owners will only cover so much. Policies are not designed to cover comic "collections" unless you get a rider. If you are concerned you should ask your agent what they will cover, and what they need as proof you owned such comics in the event of a loss.

Good luck.

SDB are awesome but, do a test first to check their temp and humidity control...

I would place one book in there (that isn't worth much) and check back in a few months

to see if there is any signs of rust on the staples.

I still check my boxes about once a month to make sure there are no changes.

I have two SDBs.

(thumbs u

:o That didn't cross my mind at all. These boards do come in handy. Thanks!

Your home owners will only cover so much. Policies are not designed to cover comic "collections" unless you get a rider. If you are concerned you should ask your agent what they will cover, and what they need as proof you owned such comics in the event of a loss.

Good luck.

That's a great idea. I hate insurance companies because they always try to find a way to deny your claim...

Good luck.

That's a great idea. I hate insurance companies because they always try to find a way to deny your claim...

Yes they are in business to make money. Might easier to just risk it, but you will have to decide whats best for you.

I think I've read two stories on here so far this year where people homes were broken in to and books stolen. Valuable books too. If I recall the authorities were slow moving even when the criminals were discovered. So it can happen.

Be sure to compare the cost of the insurance rider to the cost of having a separate collectibles policy.

I've used www.collectinsure.com for several years... the fees have increased quite a bit, but I still sleep better knowing I have it.

I have a few books in a safe deposit box. Fortunately, I live in a climate with very low humidity so rust is not a big worry. The peace of mind of having the books in the box is well worth the $100 or so that the box costs.

My locked-away babies:

vaultbooks.jpg

They were recently joined by this PoJ:

Batman1-1.jpg

Why not a safe in the house ?

Isn't it a pain to go to the bank to look at your comics ?

I have a gun safe but I don't have comics in it.

lol that's whole other issue. Be sure to read the thread about people's comics rusting to nothing inside of fire proof safes.

Why not a safe in the house ?

Isn't it a pain to go to the bank to look at your comics ?

I have a gun safe but I don't have comics in it.

Because safes have problems with humidity as previously discussed on these boards and I don't want to have to lug a huge safe around if I move. Also, my house is fairly small (<1000 sq ft) so space is at a premium. I don't want it taken up by a safe.

I have a few books in a safe deposit box. Fortunately, I live in a climate with very low humidity so rust is not a big worry. The peace of mind of having the books in the box is well worth the $100 or so that the box costs.

My locked-away babies:

vaultbooks.jpg

They were recently joined by this PoJ:

Batman1-1.jpg

Yep! Total piece of junk there... impressive!! :applause:

Deposit boxes big enough for a bunch of slabs are hard to get. Banks usually only have like 10-20 of the size large enough for slabs, and people tend to grab those and sit on them for decades. I got two boxes that each fit about 30-40 slabs as well as 10-15 mylars, but you need to call and ask for measurements at your bank. If your bank has been around a while, the chances of your getting a box are nil; I only got mine because my bank opened a new branch and I bugged the mess out of the branch manager to give me some big boxes weeks before they opened, and with reservations in place, I went right out the day they opened. :makepoint:

Deposit boxes big enough for a bunch of slabs are hard to get. Banks usually only have like 10-20 of the size large enough for slabs, and people tend to grab those and sit on them for decades. I got two boxes that each fit about 30-40 slabs as well as 10-15 mylars, but you need to call and ask for measurements at your bank. If your bank has been around a while, the chances of your getting a box are nil; I only got mine because my bank opened a new branch and I bugged the mess out of the branch manager to give me some big boxes weeks before they opened, and with reservations in place, I went right out the day they opened. :makepoint:

You got it. Took me 2 years before I finally got a big safe deposit box and I'm hanging onto it.

I was thinking about opening a safe deposit box to store some of my comics. I know alot of folks here on the boards seem to have boxes. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I currently have my comics stored at home and just figured my homeowners policy would cover the cost if anything happened. Does anyone have any experience with theft and/or had any difficulty making a claim for comics with the insurance company? General thoughts? Trying to decide if getting a box makes sense.

I would worry about mold.

Good luck.

I got to tell you, that sure seems to be the norm. I do have one story on the exact opposite side of this belief, though it is not comic related.

I had my H2 stolen in 2008. I unfortunately had just gotten off a plane, had my golf clubs, clothes, laptop, Tag watch, and other stuff in the car. I went straight to pick my girlfriend up and go see a movie. When I got out, the car was gone.

I had two screens in my car, one upfront and a 18 inch in the back. I had 5 22 inch rims, all of which I had purchased at least three years prior, and I did not keep proof of purchase for those.

I have USAA, and when they came out to inspect the car when it was found, empty of course, they didnt ask for proof of purchase. In fact, I got reimbursed for everything, and even was able to get custom rims the second time around. I couldn't believe how smooth the process went. I have coverage for my home as well through them, and they said they cover collectables. That is easier to show proof of purchase figuring most is through paypal payment or cashiers checks. So i dropped my policy with Collectibles Insurance Services.

I am sure I am in the minority with dealing with insurance services, but I was very happy with my provider.

If anyone is thinking about buying a safe, be sure it is fire rated and do not get cooling/liquid packed safes - these actually have moisture packs in the walls and will ruin your books. I had money stored in on of these safes and it started to develop foxing.

Be sure to get an insulation based fire rated safe. Also know that these fire ratings are strictly based on whether or not a document is usable or not after a fire. It does not ensure protection of the contents.