• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet 2 on ComicConnect

73 posts in this topic

What are the darker areas right above the "P-L-A" and over the woman's left arm? Tape stains, maybe?

I was assuming it was bleed-through from the inner cover. Jungle 1 has the same type of issue.

Most likely at one point the book was in a mylar or possibly a poly bag. There was a sticker on the bag. Tape is highly acidic, and even though the tape was not in contact with the book, the acid "burned" through the bag and darkened the cover inks just enough to create the dark, rectangular area you see in the scan. Just a guess.

Actually the ad on the inside cover is bleeding through.

Interesting. I've never seen bleed through so crisp. Anyone have a scan of the inside cover for comparison?

What are the darker areas right above the "P-L-A" and over the woman's left arm? Tape stains, maybe?

I was assuming it was bleed-through from the inner cover. Jungle 1 has the same type of issue.

Most likely at one point the book was in a mylar or possibly a poly bag. There was a sticker on the bag. Tape is highly acidic, and even though the tape was not in contact with the book, the acid "burned" through the bag and darkened the cover inks just enough to create the dark, rectangular area you see in the scan. Just a guess.

Actually the ad on the inside cover is bleeding through.

Could the scanned image be exaggerating the effect perhaps? Sometimes high contrast scans make covers appear more transparent than they seem to the eye once in the hand.

bottom line is the grade is just a "number" (and will always be subjective)... the question is whether someone is willing to pay $x for a book, if they like the way it looks...

Ok. How about call all my 6.0 Golden Age books 9.0 and you pay the 9.0 price?

(thumbs u

paid 9.0 price on 6.0 books many times...as I am sure many have when one really wants a book (thumbs u

Not a High Grade collector in the GA. But I fully agree with all that this is an 8.0. A really nice book too. Wonder why their off a point on there.

Really?

Book is an 8.0............so call it a 9.0............then price it like a 9.6

Nothing new there. (shrug)

:(

I've always thought of Metro being at a higher standard then the rest. But I know what you mean.

There is the beautiful Larson copy of Planet 2 coming up on ComicConnect. They have it listed as a 9.0 with a reserve. I've looked at it and noticed it has some stains on the back cover. I don't think it would make a 9.0, maybe 7.5 or 8.0. I'd love to hear others' opinions on the grade.

They've had that book for a long, long time. Overgraded and overpriced, in my opinion.

I examined it very carefully in person years ago, and called it a 7.5. Make no mistake, Planet 2 is a very cool book and this is indeed a beautiful copy.

Everyone pretty much knows that I am a Larson-fanatic, but the grading was way off and the pricing was way too high, so it was an easy pass for me - YMMV.

There is the beautiful Larson copy of Planet 2 coming up on ComicConnect. They have it listed as a 9.0 with a reserve. I've looked at it and noticed it has some stains on the back cover. I don't think it would make a 9.0, maybe 7.5 or 8.0. I'd love to hear others' opinions on the grade.

They've had that book for a long, long time. Overgraded and overpriced, in my opinion.

I examined it very carefully in person years ago, and called it a 7.5. Make no mistake, Planet 2 is a very cool book and this is indeed a beautiful copy.

Everyone pretty much knows that I am a Larson-fanatic, but the grading was way off and the pricing was way too high, so it was an easy pass for me - YMMV.

Any interior defects?

Any interior defects?

Foxing? Honestly, it was so long ago that I cannot recall the specific details as I purged the book from my mind. But I do recall that I had it just short of VF; again, YMMV.

I had found mysefl wondering why it was not already in your hands and that explains it.

bottom line is the grade is just a "number" (and will always be subjective)... the question is whether someone is willing to pay $x for a book, if they like the way it looks...

Ok. How about call all my 6.0 Golden Age books 9.0 and you pay the 9.0 price?

(thumbs u

paid 9.0 price on 6.0 books many times...as I am sure many have when one really wants a book (thumbs u

I'd say that depends on scarcity - otherwise the higher the actual grade the more likely I would be to go above guide and into the wild blue yonder!

I had found mysefl wondering why it was not already in your hands and that explains it.

Book does not look like a 7.5 to me. Can recall a 7.5 that looked that nice.

Then we'll look forward to you purchasing the book, sending it off to CGC, and then letting us know how that worked out for you. (thumbs u

CGC is brutal on stains. I don't know what leniency they give to pedigrees that present so nicely but if it were just a regular GA book, I think they would come down pretty hard on it.

Then we'll look forward to you purchasing the book, sending it off to CGC, and then letting us know how that worked out for you. (thumbs u

Well, in all fairness he did say "Can recall"...

CGC is brutal on stains. I don't know what leniency they give to pedigrees that present so nicely but if it were just a regular GA book, I think they would come down pretty hard on it.

CGC is pretty tough on Larsons - perhaps the most of any pedigree - due to stains, foxing, slight moisture damage, a dot of glue, etc., so I'd say they are fairly consistent in that area.

CGC is pretty tough on Larsons - perhaps the most of any pedigree - due to stains, foxing, slight moisture damage, a dot of glue, etc., so I'd say they are fairly consistent in that area.

I've always found them to be a bit too forgiving on foxing. The Crippens being a good example.