• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for everyone, Why do you give new titles a chance?

31 posts in this topic

Most of the new titles I try I have previously read reviews or previews of. If not, and it's just something I stumble upon at the comic book store, I'll buy it if it's within my genres of interest and the cover looks cool. If it's a mini and clearly stated as so on the cover I'll only buy it if it's the first issue. If it's 20 issues deep I'll assume it's an ongoing and pick it up if it covers the cool cover and genre of interest points. It's how I found Age Of Bronze, which I was a latecomer to.

i'm trying to get a better understanding of breaking the barrier between having an untested title and what it takes to have that "it" factor. Especially being a writer who can't draw in a visually dominated area. I have to find out what I can do to make the book attractive on my end that hopefully the artist can back up as well.

What i'm asking i guess is, is it more the artwork that would get you to buy it and does the story have any effect on buying that first issue of a title you've never read?

What i'm asking i guess is, is it more the artwork that would get you to buy it and does the story have any effect on buying that first issue of a title you've never read?

I've never in my life picked up a book just for the art. That, in my humble opinion, is what artbooks are for.

I am not alone.

I wouldn't pick up a new title just because I thought the artwork was good, though if I disliked the artwork then that would stop me from picking it up.

I'd need to have heard something good about the story to give it a try.

Scantily clad bimbos on the cover with big honkin hooters.

i guess you won't be picking up any of my titles then...

Hey Junk, your red cover was actually quite well done. I did look

at your solicitation here, but I haven't seen a cover in the last

30+ years that hooked me to buy an issue. Is the cover presentation

in need of tweeking ? Looked pretty dang good to me !!

Contrary to my usual S/A posting, If I were in your shoes, I'd be

mailing copies to ALL of the online venues, specifially those that

do reviews, and to whatever print media is still producing regularly.

I don't know if you've butted your head against Diamond, but

cultivating a relationship with a specific individual there might open

more doors than just relying on this closed society and word of

mouth. Get the book reviewed, many many times. And don't take

the critique personally. One of three things happen, they like it,

they don't like it, or they're ambivilent.

Humble smart azzss thoughts of an ex-shop owner...

I've never in my life picked up a book just for the art. That, in my humble opinion, is what artbooks are for.

I am not alone.

Most of the comics I bought were because of the artist, although some were recommendations. The story was always secondary to me. If it happened to be a good story, then great! Otherwise, looking over the work of an artist I admired was what I cared about

For a book I've heard nothing about, it's a mixture of several different factors for me:

a) Publisher. I'm much more likely to pick up a new DC/Vertigo title than an IDW one, for instance.

b) Creators. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a list of creators that make a new title an automatic buy (and an equally long list of people whose name on the cover means it's going back on the rack).

c) Cover & art. Does it look interesting / well-drawn / professional? Comic books are a visual medium, so pretending the art isn't paramount is silly - yes, fantastic writing can make bad art bearable, but you wouldn't know this unless you actually bought the book, took it home & read it. There's no way to gauge the quality of story-telling when you're flipping through a new book at your LCS, so the art has to serve as the decisive factor.

I am not alone.

Most of the comics I bought were because of the artist, although some were recommendations. The story was always secondary to me. If it happened to be a good story, then great! Otherwise, looking over the work of an artist I admired was what I cared about

Cool! Takes all kinds. To me, not only is the art NOT paramount, it's rarely a consideration unless it's so awful that it actively distracts from the story.

But then, I'm a reader, and have been forced to imagine scenes in my head as they happen, so the art on the page, most of the time, only focuses and clarifies the words on the page.

That's not to say I don't appreciate beautiful art. I most definitely do. Every page that Neal Adams ever drew is a sumptuous banquet for the eyes.

But that's not my criteria for picking up a *new* title....

Creative teams will sometimes be a must buy...for example, Scarlet...Bendis and Maleev=sugary sweetness. Or Doorways, the new George R.R. Martin mini.

CBR reviews also tend to push me in a particular direction. S.H.I.E.L.D. was an example of this.

Most of the time though I'm just trying to find something different...something that will really move me.

Comic Cavalcade sent me the freebie Lady Death in an order for some Avatar books...liked it enough to give it a try when issue #1 comes out.

Once I'm on a book though I have a hard time quitting...which means I have to be vigilant in my choices.

i'm trying to get a better understanding of breaking the barrier between having an untested title and what it takes to have that "it" factor. Especially being a writer who can't draw in a visually dominated area. I have to find out what I can do to make the book attractive on my end that hopefully the artist can back up as well.

No surprises here, but ever since I was a little kid it has been art first story second.

However, I don't really read moderns but have friends who do, and whatever they recommend to me I'll pick up in GN form to read.

So, I'd say point of purchase (LCS) it's art. Everything else is word of mouth.