• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for everyone, Why do you give new titles a chance?

31 posts in this topic

I buy only two title on a regular basis and I am trying out two new ones. The two books that I am giving a shot right now are Morning Glories and Stuff of Legend. I bought both because of the talk on these boards. When I went into the LCS today, I didn't even look at anything else.

Story is the only thing I care about. Nice art is definitely as bonus though. I read Walking Dead despite the art. I read Invincible and love the art.

Most new titles only last 3 or 4 issues,then another number 1, I want some consistency with my books. I applaud DC for sticking with Action Comics and Detective Comics all these years and not rebooting them over with a shiny brand new variant multiple covers number one. Marvel please take note. 2c

I'll read a TPB if I haven't heard of it before providing it seems to be pushing some new literary boundaries. A good example is "Unwritten" now in its second volume but still flying under the radar. A really phenomenal book that has some very cool postmodern approaches to the comic medium.

The art doesn't need to be of the highest caliber but it does need to support and compliment the storyline.

Interesting art work on the cover and then if interesting artwork inside I will read it. If I read it and like it then I will buy it. Doesn't happen to often. Last book I did that for was Sweet Tooth #1 by Canadian Jeff Lemire.

1. Writer and/or artist I like - if book has both , I'll usually buy it without even flipping through it.

2. Genre - specifically crime stories or oddball underground type stuff - I'll usually give these a cursory once over if I'm not familiar with the creators to see if they grab me - usually art is a deciding factor. I'm often a sucker for hero books set in the Golden Age or 1950s, but still need to flip through them first.

3. Word of mouth if the storyline/genre seems compelling.

4. If I'm on the fence from the previous criteria - certain characters will get me to look a book over - Jonah Hex, Daredevil, Batman and the Shadow come to mind - but I have to like the art and setting.

Scantily clad bimbos on the cover with big honkin hooters.

I started reading Grimm Fairy Tales for this very reason. I later discovered it's actually a mighty fine read as well (Plus the big honkin hooters are always a bonus).

Back when my pull list was in the same league as my monthly mortgage payment, I'd usually pick up random indies on slow publication weeks. More often than not, I'd pick a stinker however some of my favouriute little treasures have been found completely by accident (e.g. Queen and Country and Bear).