• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grade an X-Men 30

21 posts in this topic

It's not a high grade so don't get too excited. I need help on this one because I find that once they drop into the mid to low grade range I just don't seem to be able to grade well. So hopefully you guys can give me a clue. I'm thinking it's in the range of 5.0 - 5.5. Pages are off-white.

x30.jpg

x30b.jpg

Am I missing something? Even with that bend in the LRC on the back cover, this book still looks like an 8.0 to me, maybe 7.5 at the worst if they nail you for the slight wear on the right edge of the front cover.

Mostly I was concerned with the top edge on the front cover. It seems like the fettering (is that what it's called) and the white stress lines would drop it significantly. See... this is why I needed help tongue.gif

Looks like a Fine 6.0 to me unless that spine nick just above the top staple is worse than it looks.

Mostly I was concerned with the top edge on the front cover. It seems like the fettering (is that what it's called) and the white stress lines would drop it significantly. See... this is why I needed help tongue.gif

Seen a lot of these "fettered" top edges like this grade in at around an 8.0 or maybe a 7.5. Very decent copy. Don't think they are too rough on damage to the top edge because of the over-lap. The biggest problem - stress cracks. I'd worry more about those than I would the top edge.

Little too much in the way of spine stress, as ninanina points out, along with some general wear along the spine, combined with the creasing along the top edge... I think it would get a FN+ 6.5 from CGC... this is not an 'early' Marvel, so the grading's likely to be a tad harsher... (If this was TTA 27 or FF 3, it might pull a FN/VF 7.0)

I've seen moderns with spines like that get 9.0s. Even with the wear on the top and right edges, I still think you guys are being a little too harsh on the book. I think it's an 8.0, maybe 7.5.

Little too much in the way of spine stress, as ninanina points out, along with some general wear along the spine, combined with the creasing along the top edge... I think it would get a FN+ 6.5 from CGC... this is not an 'early' Marvel, so the grading's likely to be a tad harsher... (If this was TTA 27 or FF 3, it might pull a FN/VF 7.0)