• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook Set [First Printing] + Issue #1 Original Cover Art - Mirage/Turtles

87 posts in this topic

Wow, assuming it is legit, this is one of the wildest posts I've seen on here.

I echo the sentiments of most, call Heritage and arrange a place in their upcoming auction - then get ready for a nice cash windfall. I can't even imagine the price, as this is the original cover to potentially the most important CA comic published.

Cha-ching!!!

as this is the original cover to potentially the most important CA comic published.

I think TMNT #1 would be the most important of the CA but this still a very nice cover indeed.

This is awesome, but seriously I am not sure how "important" it really is to the history in comics. TMNT #1 ranks way higher in my book.

as this is the original cover to potentially the most important CA comic published.

I think TMNT #1 would be the most important of the CA but this still a very nice cover indeed.

This is awesome, but seriously I am not sure how "important" it really is to the history in comics. TMNT #1 ranks way higher in my book.

True, but the original art for TMNT #1 (cover + interiors) sold for $250K. So even if this art is only 'slightly' important compared to TMNT #1, the owner should do quite well. hm

After reading the "letter" I am not sure these are the originals, and look to be reproductions sent for use with the proposed fanzine. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the letter's wording.

I agree. The signature on the bottom left of the artwork doesn't look like it matches the printed comic.

Eastman/Laird 84 on the original book...

Eastman/Laird xxxxx (unreadable, might say "comics") on the artwork.

gobble_compare.jpg

I believe that Eastman reworked the copyright info on the signature just because this was a year later [85 vs. 84] but the artwork is legit.

Stephan Reese had Eastman authenticate it from the photos last week.

Whoa whoa whoa. If we are going to be dropping my name, saying I did stuff, I need to post my actual corrispondence with Kevin:

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:58:26 -0700

Subject: Re: Art Verification

To: ittstephan@hotmail.com

Dude--lets find a place to do lunch Monday or Tuesday at 1---we need to get your wedding stuff sorted as I am going to be in . Let me know a place near you and I will come that way.

As far as this piece goes--(and I think I have the other one here in LA) I'm not sure if we sold it to this guy...we might have, but it looks like we sent it to him for his fanzine, but I don't know--it is so long ago--we could have--I sent a note to pete to see if he knew...I don't want to point fingers or say something that isn't true as we're going back 25 years now--and we did sell a few things back then--I'm just not sure we would have sold that piece...

Let me see what Pete says. Sucks getting old. Let me know about lunch either day, and we'll get everything squared away.

Best, Kevin

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 12:44:54 -0700

Subject: RE: Art Verification

To: ittstephan@hotmail.com

I have a meeting in at 11 that will wrap at noon, and then another meeting in that starts at 3--we might need to find a place a touch closer, so we could get an hour to go over everything. Any other ideas?

I popped a note to Pete, and he said he had no clue if we sold it to him or not--and honestly I don't recall either. It is possible we sold it to him, but from the documents he has, it looks like we sent him the piece for him to use as a cover.

Talk to you soon.

Best, Kevin

Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Hey Paul,

So when looking at the letter you posted again, its obvious that the art was sent to you for use in a fanzine. And seeing in the emails that Steph posted that Eastman is unsure that he actually sold them to you (rather, that he sent them to you for you to use, not to keep), I was wondering if you had any other correspondence from Kevin clearing up that an acutal sale took place. By the tone of the letter, it seems that maybe a few letters had been mailed to each other (it was the 80's after all) so maybe you have somewhere another letter that more clearly shows that the art was purchased and not borrowed?

I guess I sort of feel like Eastman does, and wonder about if they would have sold this piece (their first "big" piece so soon after publication) back in the day or if maybe they had simply forgotten they had lent it out.

Still a very nice piece indeed, I am very curious as to what you will get for it? I think it will be through the roof! Let us know when you have it up for sale, you must be getting a ton of PM's by now. Will you be selling the comics on Heritage as well?

Hey Paul,

So when looking at the letter you posted again, its obvious that the art was sent to you for use in a fanzine. And seeing in the emails that Steph posted that Eastman is unsure that he actually sold them to you (rather, that he sent them to you for you to use, not to keep), I was wondering if you had any other correspondence from Kevin clearing up that an acutal sale took place. By the tone of the letter, it seems that maybe a few letters had been mailed to each other (it was the 80's after all) so maybe you have somewhere another letter that more clearly shows that the art was purchased and not borrowed?

I guess I sort of feel like Eastman does, and wonder about if they would have sold this piece (their first "big" piece so soon after publication) back in the day or if maybe they had simply forgotten they had lent it out.

Yeah I'm wondering now what happens if they want it back ? lol:roflmao:(shrug):popcorn:

Hey Paul,

and didn't notice for 25 years? seems highly unlikely

and didn't notice for 25 years? seems highly unlikely

Could he have noticed shortly after, but due to any number of reasons (people move, change in priority, etc.) was unable to follow through?

I’m not saying he just noticed after 25 yrs; what I am saying is that Eastman himself is bringing up the fact that this piece may have NOT been sold by him; I didn't bring it up. And anyone who even slightly knows Kevin, will know that for Kevin to even hint at such a thing, considering how positive, upbeat, humble, and overall unbelievably positive the guy he is, is at least something to take into consideration, esp. with all of the people who have shown in interest, and the potential for serious dollars exchanging hands. Kevin still has the other cover by the way.